• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what are the symptoms of a bad set of reeds?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I've got 1300 miles or so on our 09 cutler set up, been absolutely trouble free till last week.

Last weekend, it started bogging on occasion, then I noticed that when I turn it up, I don't get as much out of it per turn of the adjuster as it used to.

Also doesn't want to start like normal, tends to start, but die when I try to give it enough to get going. It has been a very reliable sled until just last week, I see no normal, non turbo issues. Not quite sure where to look.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Sounds typical, especially with the start up and poor idle.....pull your airbox and check it out. 1300 miles is a lot.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Yeah, I'll be checking.

The thing that gets me is that it's intermittent, the bog is occasional, and it starts most of the time. It feels like it's fouling, I thought it was stator, but the times when It won't start, it's getting spark.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I had a similar problem with mine. It was a cracked y-pipe.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I had a similar problem with mine. It was a cracked y-pipe.

HMMM, hadn't thought of that.

I'll take a look. It's not like a stock Y would be a pricey fix, got to learn to start with the easy CHEAP fixes first.

btw, how long is it taking folks to change a set of reeds on a turbo... I've really been dreading getting into that.

I assumed that with it being an intermittent problem that it was electrical, I didn't think that a leak type situation would go on & off.

S

Ski-Laxn

Nov 26, 2007
Longmont, Co
BCIL
Is the no start after its good and Hot? If so you may have the coolant temp sensor shutting fuel down to the injectors. We put a switch on JR's to shut the coolant switch off so it would start when hot.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The cutler comes with the switch.

It's mostly when not riding aggressively, if you hammer on it it cleans out & seems to be fine, but if she's putting around or holding mid-throttle consistently it creates the issue.

A friend doubled up with her on sat, he held it at 3/4 throttle for a bit... it died mid climb.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
Mine was cracked on the bottom side. It's easy to tell if it's cracked, there will be oil splatter everywhere. I just got mine welded back up. Cheap fix. If anything you can eliminate one potential problem.

Matt

HMMM, hadn't thought of that.

I'll take a look. It's not like a stock Y would be a pricey fix, got to learn to start with the easy CHEAP fixes first.

btw, how long is it taking folks to change a set of reeds on a turbo... I've really been dreading getting into that.

I assumed that with it being an intermittent problem that it was electrical, I didn't think that a leak type situation would go on & off.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
If you have 1300 miles on one set of reeds, you better change them no matter what before your motor / turbo eats a petal. but what you are discribing is what my sled does when they are on the way out. they are kind of a ***** to change if your oil injection tank is still in. I took mine out just to make it easier to change reeds. I am happy if I get 600ish miles on a set of 1000 reeds

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
sounds like they are due, Don't like the sounds of the dieing at 3/4 throttle, I would take a look at the pistons Just because. I've also seen extra weight cause lean issues and warm weather. What kind of tuning gauges are on it.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
sounds like they are due, Don't like the sounds of the dieing at 3/4 throttle, I would take a look at the pistons Just because. I've also seen extra weight cause lean issues and warm weather. What kind of tuning gauges are on it.

I agree, may have a piston issue, my sled will get very lean when I add another person.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
it wasn't the weight, it was the fact that he wasn't varying the throttle or hammering on it & was scared of the sled so he was trying to putt up a little hill. Now that I think about it he would have been at about 1/4-1/3 throttle, 3/4 at 12 lbs they would have been flying up the hill, he was barely moving.

If she doesn't vary the throttle or open it up relatively often it'll bog.

I hope the reeds are it, either way... I guess I'll be calling Michelle again here!

Last edited:

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
id bet on reeds they only tend to last about 400 miles without cooler a little more with from what i here i had mine go right after i bought my sled i called michelle and got another set it will run fine wfo because the reeds are open all the way but mid throttle there only open part well if part of the reed is missing it will make it run weird mine was like yours it seemed intermitent good luck keep us posted

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
so not building boost to the extent that it should, makes sense with bad reeds as well?

SO...
Next question then, which type of oil should I use??

seriously though, what kind of reeds have folks been having luck with?

These are 1000 reeds (single I think), having lasted this long I think they're worth putting back in unless you guys think it's worth changing?

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
i was told to use either the tdr or m1000 reeds on the m8 from a i believe to be one of the most reliable sources i know im running tdr but ive got 400 miles so im going to change them so i have a fresh set for next year

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Reeds

I had similar issues, with 500 miles on boost. I checked almost everything I could before going into the reeds. My reeds where perfect, that sucked.
Big Hoe recommended that I should try and make sure reeds are actually bad before pulling them out. I did not, I will next time. Maybe Joe will help out.

Turns out One cylinder was not holding pressure, but compression was equal in both. I will do a pressure check and compression check in both cylinders next time out.

My sled would run fine if I could poach a track to get going or find some pack and play the throttle it would run fine on boost.

I have had my share of issues this season, learned a bunch, next season should better.

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
buddy had same sort of problem ended up his exhaust donuts were bad and not holding pressure. exhaust donuts and cracked pipe is the only problem he has has in 2 years. running twisted kit

Premium Features