• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 help

J

Junkshow

Feb 9, 2009
Logan Utah
I have picked up a 900 from a buddy that is an 06 with a 166 I have two dragons and am not looking at dropping much money into it, but it does need help. I have already got the conversion kit for the air box and holtz vents to put in. I am wondering about clutching and raising those junk handle bars. On the handle bars what do you have to do to raise them do you have to go to a different steering post? thanks for the help

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I have picked up a 900 from a buddy that is an 06 with a 166 I have two dragons and am not looking at dropping much money into it, but it does need help. I have already got the conversion kit for the air box and holtz vents to put in. I am wondering about clutching and raising those junk handle bars. On the handle bars what do you have to do to raise them do you have to go to a different steering post? thanks for the help

You can raise them a couple inches with out new cables. They even made a vibration riser called Isovibe.

Most hard riders break the rider select so many make the post stationary.

Clutching ... pretty sure 19-42 or similar.

The 166 track is designed for speeds under 75 MPH.

Send clutch to INDYDAN or 1200psi. Need black green spring and weights vary a few grams with each machine.

Get a new clutch bolt every year. Torque to 96ftlbs. Float the secondary.

Use 3211115 belt cause blowing a belt will likely hurt the crank

Check intake boots for cracks.

Look at TPS and wire harness for worn insulation on wires.

Maybe get all the recalls completed.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
You can go with a 3in. Power Madd riser without any brake line mods. For clutching, SLP blue/pink in the primary with 10-72 or 10-70 weights depending on elevation and everyone usually runs the 66/44-46 66/42-.46 helix run in the 66/42 position and red/pink Team spring in the secondary.

Dump the sway bar and get a set of Zero Pro front shocks. Run 19/42 gears with the same chain.

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
^^^ exactly what Mark said above....he nailed it..

as far as bars...i had a 3" on my 05 and it was ok..just added a riser and some RSI bars, but still didnt seem high enough at points..so i got a set of the pro taper bars (like on the new Assaults) with the bar hooks...I LOVE THEM..did need to get a throttle extension, but i got the FBF cable..AWESOME..

but if your not wanting to change bars..get some 3" risers and go...just be extremely careful with the wiring on the handlebars and do not yank on it hard, or zip tie them together very tight..you WILL crank a wire in the insulation and have a nighmare on your hands...be gentle on the wiring and your golden..

-RIDE HARD

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
well there are a lot of things you can get rid of, depending on how much you want to change and spend but alot of it is free, compfusions motor mounts fix the belt eating problem and make life easyier on the crank.

1: remove the radiator and all the extra coolant lines that goes with it, dont just loop the lines or put a restrictor in it because it lets lots of coolant bypass the rear coolers thus making your sled run hotter,
2:change the air box the stock box is very restrictive and heavy, i have the fire and ice box with the windshield intake kit and the plenum offset kit,which is the box that i would recommend, because the guys at fire and ice are so easy to work with, and also because the box gets the air from up high and doesn't seem to have the problem with powder ingestion like my buddy slp box did,
3:you can also get a aftermarket pipe and can, can loses most of the weight but you can get some pounds out of the pipe also with a little hp. i just went for the slp can and not the pipe, for the price the pipe wasn't worth the gain, but then again if your looking to be the lightest it might be worth it.
4: remove all heat shields that are unnecessary like the one by the can and any other items that you can take off and replace with heat tape, like the shield in the can side side panel and remove the foam on the clutch side side panel
5" remove all under hood foam EXCEPT little pieces in the sides that seal off the area in between the hood and the curves in the belly pan, foam might not seem like it would be heavy but go soak it in water and see how heavy it is . also the plastic piece that directs air to your brakes, i removed that as I'm not usually doing more than 60 on the trails and didn't see a need for it and DONT remove foam that seals air box.
6: remove all idler wheels on the rails and replace them with ice scratchers, the scratchers make a world of different in hyfax wear and also i get a drop of around 15-25 degrees in coolant temp PER a scratcher on hard trails.
7: holtz spindles only lose you a pound or 2 but are mandatory for making these sleds steer easier.
8: i put slp powder pros on and love them in the deep powder , way better than the stock ones, also Ive heard sly dogs work well, but the simmons ski's dont work well with the suspension geometry. might loses a pound with ski's
9: i also added 3" handle bar risers doesn't drop weight but made the sled way more comfortable to ride standing up I'm a touch under 6' tall,
thats all Ive done to my sled so far dont have a weight loss number yet but ill weigh it today and see what it is it was 577with everything stock except slp can with 3/4 tank of fuel and full oil.

10: get a mountain fit lexan hood with headlight removed, very light and you can paint the inside of the hoods and make them look sweet. my buddy wyrider did that to his sled 05 900 and it looked great, just the little after market head light looked kind of goofy and didn't do much when it was dark. thats why i didn't do that but you can contact wyrider on this forum to see what it looked like, he has a smoke tint hood and had some guy paint it and it was aw some, but needs heat tape on inside of hood, he rolled his and the snow pushed the hood into the pipe and made a big bubble in the hood.
11: you can port your track and loose some weight there and when your in the powder it will lose any where from 30lb to 50lb of snow in your skid, did it to my Buddy's rev 800 144 to see how the track holds up before i try it
12: use slush buster under the tunnel in front of the cooler because alot of ice builds up there.
13 i also put better boards the get rid of the snow build up on the board which is almost mandatory on this chassis
14 i also put a tri city front bumper on which is lighter than the plastic it replaces and also makes the front bumper usable. also a #225 front track spring makes the front end feel alot lighter.
. hope this helps......Nikolai

Premium Features