• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

camoplast 3" track lugs falling off, dangerous look below

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
Well maybe we all have to share our experiences with their crappy 3" x162x15 tracks or whatever bad luck you have had with their tracks. I'm a little pissed right now because after trying to fight with them, they say that it's not a delamination issue with my track, but in the mean time I have lost like 5 lugs already in 400 miles of mountain riding only, and the clincher tonight is I was just setting my tps on my pc which takes a split second of full throttle then just enter the value in the box. I'm sure most of you know what I mean. Well while the split second of full throttle it throws another lug off and sends it thru my garage window!!!!!!!! Wtf??? What if someone was behind the sled at that time?? This is bull**** and I want everyone to know that camoplast won't do **** for us and still say it's not one of the faulty tracks. I have ran many 3" tracks before but never had any of these freak things happen to me. I just think it's bull**** that no help would be offered in anyway to compensate a guy after spending 1500 for a track and it's garbage. Ok well my rant is over and maybe tracks canada can step up to the plate and maybe fight for us on this one. I have never asked or needed to warranty a track in my life, but trust me this one is crap!!! Thx d pics coming.

nov 18 pics, 081 (Medium).jpg nov 18 pics, 080 (Medium).jpg nov 18 pics, 079 (Medium).jpg nov 18 pics, 078 (Medium).jpg

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
You got 400 miles on already this year? There's no base yet. Why don't you post pics of ALL the missing paddles and I bet there are paddles missing in a row. This damage indicates that you spun the track on something hard. Like a rock for instance.
I think you went sledding and took out the paddles on rocks. Then you screamed and yelled warranty at camoplast and they told you to pound sand.
Plus, you're a hot head redneck Albertan who revs his sled to the moon on a stand in his garage.
Now go put some cardboard with red tuck tape on your window like a true redneck would. Order a new track while you are at it. Bahahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
You got 400 miles on already this year? There's no base yet. Why don't you post pics of ALL the missing paddles and I bet there are paddles missing in a row. This damage indicates that you spun the track on something hard. Like a rock for instance.
I think you went sledding and took out the paddles on rocks. Then you screamed and yelled warranty at camoplast and they told you to pound sand.
Plus, you're a hot head redneck Albertan who revs his sled to the moon on a stand in his garage.
Now go put some cardboard with red tuck tape on your window like a true redneck would. Order a new track while you are at it. Bahahahahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
I have 31 miles on my sled this year, track was put on in spring last season.. is that ok now ???? got anymore stupid questions or comments.. oh and yes im Albertan, guess Im not as educated as you in the us, sorry... lol

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
I would say kanedog is probably a Canadian member....

cant see what it matters where we are from, we still encounter the same problems, lets not let this thread turn out like most do on any forum, im just looking for a bit of help possably from camoplast and maybe letting others know that this is not supposed to happen.. thx all

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Could be a mfg. defect... or owner induced failure.... and I'm NOT saying it was one way or the other.

How fast do you go, max, down the trails?

What tension are you running on the track?

Lets see some photos of the remainder of the failed paddles and the track overall.

BTW... What DID camoplast say was the cause of your damage?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Trust me... I feel for ya ... that is a big investment.

Here is a post I made a while back... might be related to your situation.

I post this to try to be helpful... and not pizz you off any more than I'm sure you already are...Especially since you say this track only has spring and early season use on it.

These tracks should be looked at like a tire on a dragster... an expendable, purpose built tool to get some extreme work done outside of what a consumer offering can provide... In the conditions that we are running these tracks in, the Horsepower and speed that we are getting out of these sleds... don't compare them to the the durablilty track on your 2000 Mountain Max/Summit/SKS/Powder Special. With the loads todays sleds are putting on these tracks..they are actually more durable than Your ole 1.5" paddle.

If you cram a lot of HP into a track and generate 80mph track speeds in the fluff and graze a hard ice chunk, stump or rock... you will loose paddles... If you don't like this, get a shorter lug track that is not so stiff... YES your performance will drop, but your track will last longer and be more durable.

If you must have the higher performance that the tall lug tracks will give you...and want to ride in ALL conditions... accept the shorter life of the track... you can't have both, IMO.

Proper tension (not too loose) on these tall lug tracks will give your sled better performance and longer track life as well.

There are some defective tracks just like there are defective computers, tires, snap-on tools ... you name it... But, Camoplast builds a very high quality product.

If you are running the 3" lug, well, you should expect to putt along on the trail at 30mph max with scratchers down

The damage to a track that sheds a paddle probably happened earlier in the day/week/month/season or even last year
... From that high speed run back to the cabin/trailer or a that 300 ft long sheet of ice we barely make it up fully pinned WFO. The heat that builds up INSIDE the rubber at the root of the paddle is what starts the process of delamination...this heat occurs because the paddle is forced to bend too much at the root ...from the heat of high speeds... in marginal snow... back and forth, like breaking a paper clip by wiggling it back and forth (different physics, I know... but the visual is what I'm going for here).

That heat, focused at the root of the paddle severely softens the rubber at the belt/paddle boundary and you get paddles that will fly off.

A loose track (looser than prescribed from the factory) on 3" paddle tracks can and often does cause failure of the track... a loose track distorts as it is pushed/pulled down the hyfax of the rail. For a 3" paddle, from talking to Camoplast engineers, the track should be run with ZERO free hang on the track... nice and tight if you want it last... and perform as it should.

Last edited:
J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
I sent my pics of one of my tracks to camoplast a couple years ago. Oddly enough they were like no problem and gave me a new track. Was actually surprised how easy it was. Must have been a lucky one I guess. Don't know if believe the don't run them down the road fast theory.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
That doesn't seem right. I have probably 5000km on my 3" between a modded M1000 and 925 pc and not one issue. It's cut down from "16 to "15 as well. Have done 60+ mph many many times and have hit lots of stuff under the snow and never lost a lug yet. Must of got a really good one

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
this sled is my 15yr old sons sled, he rides with me all the time, I am always present when he is on that sled, even when we are in the mountains which is the only place we ride, we follow each other around kinda.. you guys know what I mean.. anyway the track is pretty tight, like no sag which I hate, but it has bigger rear wheels and its a 162 also on a 163 sled so its pretty tight..as many I have ran many 3" tracks on many different sleds and they never have done this, even on my turbo I have never lost paddles likje this.. this is plain and simple a defective track, the rubber didn't adhere to the carcase correctly. I didn't make this product but if I did I sure would try and stand behind it. you know **** happens sometimes, you spin on a rock, it cuts the lug, or rips a piece of it off, we all get that, it has happened to all of us, I don't look to get warranty for stuff like that.. but this is a isolated problem and I feel it is not business like to just sweep it under the rug and not just look at the serial number and say it wasent some of the bad ones they had!! geez if this is a good one I would hate to see what a bad track was like, hate to follow that guy up the trail forsure...

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I can relate, I had this problem on my 08 when doo came out with the ported tracks. I had the best dealer at the time and as hard as they tried brp wouldn't do anything about it. I eventually lost all but two in the center row! I was equally as mad but the investment was no where near the same being a brand new sled at eight grand where now a days they are double. with these new price tags the whole machine should get warranties no questions asked

Last edited:
Premium Features