• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

*****MPI Viper Turbo Oil Fix*****

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
First off, thanks to those that have been patient during this issue. This is not a time to point finger at who's to blame. We acknowledge that we make a problem worse with our relocation of the oil separator. This problem was exaggerated in 2015 with the added oil levels over the 2014.

We've had a TON of input on how to fix this problem. The final result is something that we know will work in nearly every situation. Rushing to a fix that was not fully tested across all conditions could have resulted in just a band aid. After engineering a legitimate fix, we proceeded to test the solution in the shop at extremes that could never be duplicated in the field. Then we moved to field testing to confirm the results. Thanks for all the help from several dealer's and customers that have been willing to try different ideas to help us get to this point.

1-How's the fix being handled?
As of today we've shipped several kits out. These kits are being shipped to your dealer that you bought your turbo kit from. This is only being done in the US (because I know who and how many kits were shipped). For Canada I'm shipping a batch into BC and will have more details on how they will be distributed throughout Canada. If getting this from your dealer is going to be a problem then email me @ matt@mountainperformance.com for options.

2-Do I need the fix?
If you ride your sled in the mountains? YES. Then you need a retro fit kit.

3-What is the fix?
We've designed a fitting to return the oil from the separator back to the motor and NOT back to the oil tank. This will eliminate the oil from dumping out of the oil tank through the vent on the separator. This allows the separator to still function as it was intended. It includes a plug for the oil tank hose and all the clamps you'll need.

4-Is it hard to install? Does my dealer need to do it?
The install instructions will be available on our website.http://www.mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/hsk-1160_Layout.pdf . This is not very hard to complete. If you can change the oil on your sled you could complete this retro fit kit. If you don't fill comfortable doing this, then your might want to get with the dealer that installed the turbo kit. The muffler comes off (3 bolts), 1 oil line is rerouted to the mag cover, and 1 line is plugged off (bottom of oil tank). That's it. Suggestion are included to avoid even draining your oil.

5-Does this need to be done on trail sleds? Can you do it to a trail sled?
No. This problem only flares up on mountain sleds. Trail sleds can use the same retro fit but are not being shipped to the dealers as retro fit kits at this point. If you feel that you need one on you trail kit, email me. matt@mountainperformance.com.

oilfixpic-2000_zps0d1a768f.jpg

Last edited:

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
ok matt thanks for the fix, but I'm not holding my breath. yes the fix looks like it will work and I'm not trying to bash but i have over 800 miles now and this is the first time you aknowlaged there is an issue!!!! first you posted that we were all idiots that didn't know how to check our oil!!! then you posted that we were all idiots and was over filling with oil!!! I have smoked 3 belts and have been in several bad positions in the back country because of this issue!! and believe me after riding weekend after weekend and trying to keep a level head and posting and trouble shooting during the week. i don't think it was very professional to treat us like idiots saying we don't know how to check our oil....i do hope the fix works my po box is 3521 ketchum idaho 83340 i will be looking for a check to refund me for my belts thanks Chaz Mitchell

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Chaz, I think that is a little over the top. Matt posted up awhile ago about working on a fix, and while he suggested that the oil level was playing a factor he never came off as calling anyone an idiot.

Install the kit and you are going to have a bullet proof turbo sled.

As for the belts, at least you didn't buy a 2012 proclimb. Guys were lucky to get 100 miles on some of them and those babies are $180 each!

Thanks for posting Matt! Do you have a time line on when we should be seeing them show up?

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
I have had the privilege of running the MCXpress kits for some time now during testing and I have never seen this issue with that kit from the 180hp to the 270hp. I have smoked some belts though, but I think it was just too much throttle and too much horse power, he he :light:

ok matt thanks for the fix, but I'm not holding my breath. yes the fix looks like it will work and I'm not trying to bash but i have over 800 miles now and this is the first time you aknowlaged there is an issue!!!! first you posted that we were all idiots that didn't know how to check our oil!!! then you posted that we were all idiots and was over filling with oil!!! I have smoked 3 belts and have been in several bad positions in the back country because of this issue!! and believe me after riding weekend after weekend and trying to keep a level head and posting and trouble shooting during the week. i don't think it was very professional to treat us like idiots saying we don't know how to check our oil....i do hope the fix works my po box is 3521 ketchum idaho 83340 i will be looking for a check to refund me for my belts thanks Chaz Mitchell

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I have had the privilege of running the MCXpress kits for some time now during testing and I have never seen this issue with that kit from the 180hp to the 270hp. I have smoked some belts though, but I think it was just too much throttle and too much horse power, he he :light:

Too each his own, I ran an MCXpress kit on a Phazer and I am not going into a long winded bash fest but you will never see me with anything MCX again.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
Chaz, I think that is a little over the top. Matt posted up awhile ago about working on a fix, and while he suggested that the oil level was playing a factor he never came off as calling anyone an idiot.

Install the kit and you are going to have a bullet proof turbo sled.

As for the belts, at least you didn't buy a 2012 proclimb. Guys were lucky to get 100 miles on some of them and those babies are $180 each!

Thanks for posting Matt! Do you have a time line on when we should be seeing them show up?

i dont care what artic cat had going in 2012...I bought a 2015 viper that was supposed to be fully tested and not have oil all over the engine compartment!!! I have over 20K in this sled and have owned many yamaha dirt bikes and 2 450 quads.... this is huge black eye on yamaha to let this product out with this to compare to the superior dirtbikes that they have produced in the past starting with the yz426f... after spending this kind of dough i have a right to post my concerns on here and to resolve my issue, dont need cheerleaders in the background that have not delt with the problem at hand..

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
i dont care what artic cat had going in 2012...I bought a 2015 viper that was supposed to be fully tested and not have oil all over the engine compartment!!! I have over 20K in this sled and have owned many yamaha dirt bikes and 2 450 quads.... this is huge black eye on yamaha to let this product out with this to compare to the superior dirtbikes that they have produced in the past starting with the yz426f... after spending this kind of dough i have a right to post my concerns on here and to resolve my issue, dont need cheerleaders in the background that have not delt with the problem at hand..

I guess I am a little more patient as I have had Nytro's and Phazer's upside down and puke oil on the belt.....in fact I lost count on how many Phazer belts I oiled until I built my own roll over valve. The Viper is much better at oil loss than the Phazer was but it is still annoying to say the least. I will be buying this MPI kit as soon as it is available to the public for both my non boosted Vipers.

I guess my point here is this was not a MPI issue but a very well known Yamaha 4 stroke issue. Did the turbo make it worse? Not sure but I am sure this oil everywhere issue has been with us a very long time and I am very happy MPI has a cheap fix for it.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
I guess I am a little more patient as I have had Nytro's and Phazer's upside down and puke oil on the belt.....in fact I lost count on how many Phazer belts I oiled until I built my own roll over valve. The Viper is much better at oil loss than the Phazer was but it is still annoying to say the least. I will be buying this MPI kit as soon as it is available to the public for both my non boosted Vipers.

I guess my point here is this was not a MPI issue but a very well known Yamaha 4 stroke issue. Did the turbo make it worse? Not sure but I am sure this oil everywhere issue has been with us a very long time and I am very happy MPI has a cheap fix for it.

You and DPG should pay attention - this is for the MPI TURBO kit issues.
I would be very unimpressed as well.
Matt with MPI - This is a perfect time to point fingers, its an MPI kit causing the problem.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho

My point is that all first year sleds will have an issue or two to work out. this kit was tested a lot last year without this problem.

Yamaha changed the oil tank design as the old design led oil issues when climbing steep hills.

I'm sorry but I don't see this as Matts fault, it was a design change by Yamaha. These things happen, you gotta roll with the punches on a first year sled.

Tomkat700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 26, 2013
Pierce, Co
I am just happy to hear a solution has been found, Adam with Yamaha corporate called me back today and said my kit must be installed wrong because they haven't heard of anyone else having this problem. Really frustrates me that Yamaha wont acknowledge this as a problem! My point being, Thank you Matt and MPI for stepping up and addressing this quickly.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
You and DPG should pay attention - this is for the MPI TURBO kit issues.
I would be very unimpressed as well.
Matt with MPI - This is a perfect time to point fingers, its an MPI kit causing the problem.

Somebody should pay attention that is for sure. This is a well known to 4 stroke riders issue not a turbo issue or an MPI issue. Makes me wonder if this is your first one.

Last edited:

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Can anyone give the thread by nipple size, before I take the hood of as I'm going to ace hardware and more beer?

Matt@MPI

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2010
Can anyone give the thread by nipple size, before I take the hood of as I'm going to ace hardware and more beer?

Ace hardware won't have the right fitting. Send me a PM with you address and I'll ship one out. Note the dealer you bought the sled from.

sidehil

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Federal Way
Looks like a metric coupling as well? Thanks Matt for the reply! You need to also get the clutch after market to give us something easy to add or subtract on the hill with out drilling rivets, I'm wacking 9k rpm with ease at 6k on the nose now, fun as **** thou!!!!!

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Somebody should pay attention that is for sure. This is a well known to 4 stroke riders issue not a turbo issue or an MPI issue. Makes me wonder if this is your first one.

LOL - first stock 4 stroke I have owned. Im embarrassed that I actually rode my 15 STOCK for 65 miles, had it on its side a few times and on its back once but picked it up fairly quik and never lost any oil. Took a bit to start a couple times.

I think a stock viper is lame power wise, maybe good on pavement for some.:second: The oil spills that MPI have a fix for are obviously for the MPI kit.

My 2014 Boost-It Viper never gave me any of these issues nor do I expect that my 2015 Boost-It Viper will have these issues either. I do have a rollover valve I have to install yet to prevent oil spills when upside down for extended periods , had one on my boosted Nytro as well and no oil spills either when the roll over valve is activated.

This is year 2 for the Viper. oil tank is in the same place just a few small changes from 2014. Boost-It added baffles to my 2014 oil tank so that fixed the low oil pressure/shut downs while in steep climbs.

It pays to spend more money and get a quality tubo kit if you dont like dealing with issues and would rather ride.

Premium Features