• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Won't build boost under load??

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Ill check the fins but last I looked they were all good.

Is there any difference between the weights on a 2010 and a 07? This just crossed my mind I have D&D weights off of a 2010 on my 2007, I mean they fit fine and I see no issues but could something be wrong there?

G
Apr 23, 2008
if this is an aerodisaster turbo, a backfire on on start up is well known to cause them to literally spin the vanes off the rotator ring.. they will end up pointing in all the wrong directions..sorry bout that..

keep checking..

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
It's a push kit not aero. And I just went and checked the turbo all the fins are there and it turns nicely. Looks like next step is the pressure test.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
ILl update this shortly with a video of it running in the garage, sled only built 5-6psi boost when it should be building 8 assuming its the same waste gate that came with the kit (8-15psi). You really have it build it up you can't just pin it to have it build boost, have to have a lot of track speed going, I didn't have the speedo up in the video but I would say the track was hauling A*s before it started to build boost.

Yes I know its running rich for the most part all around but I'm 99% sure that has nothing to do with my issue.

Video will come shortly once it uploads to youtube.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I've NEVER Been able to replicate a "load" on the stand, no matter how hard I squeeze the brake.. I've never got my sled to build over 4 psi on the stand. Get my sled on the snow, builds 12psi right away.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
sounds like a boost leak

it will hold 4-5 lb boost not more. sounds like you might have pinched an o ring.

option #2 is since you have the g kit they don't have bearings just a bushing and if it has too much play under load they will bind. so check turbo slop.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
water and dish soap mixed in a spray bottle is a good leak detector..but that's for air tests for plumbing...

but a suggestion none the less..

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
it will hold 4-5 lb boost not more. sounds like you might have pinched an o ring.

option #2 is since you have the g kit they don't have bearings just a bushing and if it has too much play under load they will bind. so check turbo slop.

Turbo play is there but nothing serious that I'm going to worry about.

What o ring are you thinking of?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
O ring that seals the aluminum air box to the throttle bodies.

Just pulled them off and took and look and didn't see any pinched, maybe I missed it but there was nothing obviously wrong in there, so I basically filled the edges with gasket maker and hopefully that helps seal that area off, tomorrow we will find out! Its supposed to be deep so hopefully it AT LEAST works better then last time.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Not familiar with push kits... but do their turbos have coolant lines? Some early BD kits (2008/2009) had damaged bearings because BD didn't think it was necessary to run coolant through the turbo... then it became part of the kit for 2010. Some got along fine & some didn't.

When I was chasing an issue a while back, BD suggested I hook up my oil pump to a 12v source -- for lube & make sure it pumps :) -- then spool the turbo up with an air gun to make sure the bearing was ok. If i remember right, they wanted to have it free spool for something like 5+ seconds after you removed the air flow from the intake side. I imagine you could accomplish the same thing just by idling your sled with the intake cage & prefilter off (don't let anything get in there) and see how long it takes to spool down after you shut the engine off.

Just my thoughts.... maybe doesn't apply to a push kit turbo like my 2860.

One thing I didn't see mentioned in the my quick read over this thread was checking the throttle body rubber boots for cracks... but you probably did that when you changed reeds.

good luck! --Matt

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Well guys and gals, todays the day I learned I'm retarded.

I did have a leak last time I rode and clearly I got that fixed up with todays ride. But it still wasn't working until I hit about 70mph on the speedo then it cleaned up and ran perfect… Well I decided to take the hood off… The bottom/mid is still sketchy because of what I believe is the tune but DAMN, held it pinned and almost flipped it over on myself on a hill I couldn't make it 1/3 of the way with the hood on… You still need to get a tiny bit of track speed going but not much which is why I'm thinking its just the tune now.

Thanks to everyone who helped! CAI is in the future for me… This week hopefully… What cages are people running with what filters? I need to get one ordered ASAP to have it for next weekend.

Premium Features