• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quick Drive Belt Break In

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Most warranty does not cover wear items like belts. I hope that Poo is a little more stand up then AC was last year when they would not warranty any drive belts.

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Thanks for all the replies but please do not reply with posts about warranty or the plus or minus' of the QD system. Please post those in the other thread.

Please keep this post on track in regards to the break in process.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Not sure what difference pictures will make, but here is what it looks like.

I think it was the WOT runs that was the cause which is why I am asking what is physically happening to the belt during break in.

I hope mountainhorse may be able to shed some light to this topic.

Break in, just like motors, helps everything to seat into each other. The belt would bed-in to the sprockets.

The break-in period allows for the rubber belt to shed any tiny mfg imperfections or surface residue that could prevent complete interface of the sprocket-teeth and belt teeth.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
What were the snow conditions. This could play a huge factor if snow was low, if you are throwing dirt then you might want to put it away for another day.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
What were the snow conditions. This could play a huge factor if snow was low, if you are throwing dirt then you might want to put it away for another day.

I agree... I'm guessing there is a reason why the assault still has a chain

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Well when i am climbing a hill this winter and hit a spot that might be spun down to the dirt i have to just shut it down and hope it is not to steep that it rolls down!!! I can not believe that we heard nothing about this last spring when all the demo's were running around and putting miles on them. I guess i am just going ride mine like I have every other new sled I have bought and hope for the best!!

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa

This shouldn't matter IMO. That belt should be able to withstand the varying forces placed upon it by mountain riding. If it doesn't, then Polaris has failed.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Im not saying if you see some dirt fly, park it...but if you riding on 4" of snow at WOT then you're putting a lot of strain on belt.

Sounds like he was hooking up pretty hard and dirt isnt as forgiving.

But, yes...it shouldnt matter

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
Im not saying if you see some dirt fly, park it...but if you riding on 4" of snow at WOT then you're putting a lot of strain on belt.

Sounds like he was hooking up pretty hard and dirt isnt as forgiving.

But, yes...it shouldnt matter

I'm not buying that for 1 second.

If thats the case I will stick with a chain case. Whens the last time you heard a chain case come apart because you rode it on "dirt" come on.

All of us midwest guys get a little exicted when we get our first snowfall and have been know to ride on less then 4" before havent killed a chain case or even a Diamond drive in the last 10 yrs.

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
Conditions

Snow conditions were more than adequate. 5-6" of Hard well set up Base, and 6-8" of fresh. I was not doing anything different for riding than what my 2011 RMK Assault would have been put through.

I am not going to change any part of my riding style because of this. I think the QD System is a fantastic system still, I just think that maybe the Breakin period needs to be adhered too. At Least that is what I am hoping.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
If these belts are that touchy on the break in procedure, than they should come broke in from the dealer. Because there are people out there that aren't even going to look at their manual. They will pick the sled up and ride it like they stole it.

A

arctic cat m1

Dec 19, 2008
I had my 13 out this weekend dragging elk out with it. took it out not even broke in I have a little over 50 miles on it now and the belt is perfectly fine.

J
Feb 13, 2009
Park City, UT
My dealer talked about importance of break-in, how the belt would run super hot for first 100 miles, and that there would be dust. He was suggesting some PI planned exothermal reaction that would set up the belt. Not kidding. Have yet to open my manual or ride my sled.

S

savagerunner07

Dec 3, 2007
SLC
I see why the belt failed. You didnt follow the break in procedure. You know its there from the manufacture for a reason. I know its hard not to have WOT. I figure that 100 miles is nothing compared to what I plan on putting on this sled. If this helps make the belt last that much longer, than I'm all for following procedure.

Premium Features