• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Garrett 3071 vs 3076

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Hey, just wondering what people have seen in a sled application to compare these two turbo's.

Any tuning differences?
Lag differences?
Power band?
Bottom end?

I have the 3076 on order and we have a couple guys with the 3071 so I am wondering what to expect on tuning changes etc. And of course performance.

Thanks

Thunder

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
slightly off topic but

I originally had the 2876 on my Twisted turbo 09 m8 but the 2871 ran better had more low end grunt.

D

doornenbal

Dec 3, 2007
Let's hope Smokindave catches this tread I believe he has ran both on m1000's...

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
I have only run the 3076,when Shain said it was better I did not ask any questions I just bought them.
Hopefully Shain can jump in on this thread.

I should be getting my kit from Shain in a week or so.

I have asked him and he said hands down the 3076 is the ticket. So like you I am going with it.

Just like to hear from others that have ran the 76 and see what they thought.

According to Shain it has "smoother" power but much stronger. No "More" lag than the 71 and pulls just as hard with more top end.

Here is a quote to me when I asked Shain "Whats the difference between the 3071 and the 3076".

His answer "how sore your arms will be at the end of the day"

I was like "what?"

He said "the 76 pulls so much harder your arms will be sore from holding on"

so wait and see. :)

Thunder

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I should be getting my kit from Shain in a week or so.

I have asked him and he said hands down the 3076 is the ticket. So like you I am going with it.

Just like to hear from others that have ran the 76 and see what they thought.

According to Shain it has "smoother" power but much stronger. No "More" lag than the 71 and pulls just as hard with more top end.

Here is a quote to me when I asked Shain "Whats the difference between the 3071 and the 3076".

His answer "how sore your arms will be at the end of the day"

I was like "what?"

He said "the 76 pulls so much harder your arms will be sore from holding on"

so wait and see. :)

Thunder

Shains quote is right on the money,it will make your arms sore for sure.I am very happy with mine!

G
Apr 23, 2008
When I swapped from the 71 to the 76 on my 800's we dropped engagement 800 rpms ! and added 3 grams per arm . NOW,, If you have had any trail porting done, or any sanding smoothing thinning BS done to your cylinders,, YOU WILL run WORSE>

Anytime you make a larger, wider higher exhaust port you loose power on a turbo always.. no ifs ands or butts, any butt will feel it right off the hit.

When I swapped the 76 for the 82 on the 1000 same thing, lower engagement and more weight to hold it down in the revs.

Shain has his **** together and does REAL testing and tuning, I give him credit just because I know first hand how some just swap the turbo and get different results,,???? If you dont load it harder it wont show you what it can do..

You can always tell the ones who have over ported, overly rich under weighted stiff reed set ups just by how they respond to airflow INCREASES.:crutch::crutch::crutch:

3076 all the way dont look back..

be cool guys and get ready for deep snow

Gus

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
When I swapped from the 71 to the 76 on my 800's we dropped engagement 800 rpms ! and added 3 grams per arm . NOW,, If you have had any trail porting done, or any sanding smoothing thinning BS done to your cylinders,, YOU WILL run WORSE>

Anytime you make a larger, wider higher exhaust port you loose power on a turbo always.. no ifs ands or butts, any butt will feel it right off the hit.

When I swapped the 76 for the 82 on the 1000 same thing, lower engagement and more weight to hold it down in the revs.

Shain has his **** together and does REAL testing and tuning, I give him credit just because I know first hand how some just swap the turbo and get different results,,???? If you dont load it harder it wont show you what it can do..

You can always tell the ones who have over ported, overly rich under weighted stiff reed set ups just by how they respond to airflow INCREASES.:crutch::crutch::crutch:

3076 all the way dont look back..

be cool guys and get ready for deep snow

Gus

So if I understand this right. comparing the 3071 to the 3076 (same sled different turbo)

800rpm lower engagement=better bottom end
added 3 grams of weight=more top end

Right? If so it sounds good.

Thunder

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
He said 76 to 82 for the m/1000 i assume your looking for the 82 then correct unless you have a 800?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Hey Gus, have you tried the new Garrett GTX billet turbos yet? They are really a step up from their standard turbos. I replaced a standard Garrett in my audi (2871R) with a GTX2867R, and it's way more efficient now (at 32psi). Just look at the compressor map differences of the standard GT vs GTX online.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Thunder ,, I am at seal level and I only drag race the 1000 so the 3582 was for my use.
In the mountains on and off throttle I see the 76 has good results and Shain and company are very happy, Though I stll think a 3082 not a 3582 might be even better in the trees and chutes..but that's my thought . Only Shain has the balls to try it..

The GTX and it billet wheel compressor is by far the best turbo out and the safest.. Precision turbo has 100's of exploded turbines and wrecked pro mod cars fires and so forth.. For a seld rider with the turbo under your chin not 5 feet away like a car YOU CANNOT take that chance, loosign your life is not under warranty and precision is never at fault when their turbos blow apart..ALWAYS your fault..LMAO.. JUNK.

Now, the gtx's are awesome but they dont really show much gains until you hit 20 + psi .. How many of you are running up there ?

maybe some feel the smaller gtx's can be better than a larger GT. I have no testing on that front sorry.. I hate to spin a turbo faster ( smaller ) it adds heat no matter what you do..

That said I have some custom 3594's being built and 2 4002 gtx's with 102mm exducers for 2 monster record book rewrites !!! Going to try like hell to brake the 1000 hp mark before march..

I will be on the road for the next month or so hauling RV's cross country. If I get near Stangers place I plan to drop in and shoot the bull . hope he's ready for a flatlander..LOL

Gus

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Thunder ,, I am at seal level and I only drag race the 1000 so the 3582 was for my use.
In the mountains on and off throttle I see the 76 has good results and Shain and company are very happy, Though I stll think a 3082 not a 3582 might be even better in the trees and chutes..but that's my thought . Only Shain has the balls to try it..

The GTX and it billet wheel compressor is by far the best turbo out and the safest.. Precision turbo has 100's of exploded turbines and wrecked pro mod cars fires and so forth.. For a seld rider with the turbo under your chin not 5 feet away like a car YOU CANNOT take that chance, loosign your life is not under warranty and precision is never at fault when their turbos blow apart..ALWAYS your fault..LMAO.. JUNK.

Now, the gtx's are awesome but they dont really show much gains until you hit 20 + psi .. How many of you are running up there ?

maybe some feel the smaller gtx's can be better than a larger GT. I have no testing on that front sorry.. I hate to spin a turbo faster ( smaller ) it adds heat no matter what you do..

That said I have some custom 3594's being built and 2 4002 gtx's with 102mm exducers for 2 monster record book rewrites !!! Going to try like hell to brake the 1000 hp mark before march..

I will be on the road for the next month or so hauling RV's cross country. If I get near Stangers place I plan to drop in and shoot the bull . hope he's ready for a flatlander..LOL

Gus

Great reply Gus!!

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
To those that are running the 76 on the m1000 have you tried turning your boost as far down as possible to see what the minimum boost its running say 7k ft plus? when I ordered my kit last year I told shain I wanted to option to run pump fuel in case I had to use a buddies extra fuel on the hill somewhere. He didnt think it could be turned down far enough to run pump with the 76 even at higher elevation.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You can run it really low, around 4 lbs. This depends on your wastegate. I would not run a 1000 turbo on pump gas no matter what boost levels you are running. You just flat have too much invested to take the chance. Even if it can run well on 91, what happens when you get some crap fuel, which most of it is anyway, and blow it up.

At least run 100LL if not 110 Race.

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
You can run it really low, around 4 lbs. This depends on your wastegate. I would not run a 1000 turbo on pump gas no matter what boost levels you are running. You just flat have too much invested to take the chance. Even if it can run well on 91, what happens when you get some crap fuel, which most of it is anyway, and blow it up.

At least run 100LL if not 110 Race.

I 100% agree Eric, I was just talking about an emergency situation to get back to town. I did have good results with mixing 100ll about 60% and pump 91 at 40% last year at 9000 + ft around 8-9lbs boost, that was with the bd timing timing modual though. It would be nice to keep a higher lb waste gate spring in so you can crank it up on those deep pow days. Dose anybody know the exact name of the 3076? I understand there is a gt 3076r and a gtx 3076r. what a/r housing? Anybody upgrade their existing 3071 that came with shains kit to the 3076 yet?

Last edited:
Premium Features