• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK "BLOW HOLE"...Active Ventilation VS Passive Venting

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
After reading this thread by Mountainhorse

Venting and the PRO-RIDE...My take on it.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249254&highlight=venting

and having several occasions of working hard sidehills and several climbs, I knew I needed something. You could smell the plastic from the hood and side panels.

I stopped in to talk to the guys at MTNTK in Ashton to discuss some venting options. www.MTNTKperformance.com
They showed me a completely new idea on venting that they have come up with.
They have taken an active approach to venting under hood heat rather than a passive ventilation approach.

They call it the Blow Hole.

100_2439.jpg

Rather than just adding big vents that can dissipate heat they have added vents and a fan. The fan draws underhood heat even when you are going slow and working the motor with snow over the hood plugging stock and other vents.

As you can see from these pictures it can draw air from the stock hood vents or pull air from the vent installed on the Mag side of the console.

100_2429.jpg

100_2432.jpg

100_2431.jpg

100_2438.jpg

100_2433.jpg

They start with removing the clutch side footwell kickplate. It is replaced with a new vent kickplate that serves as a mount for the fan and keeps the snow out of the clutches.

100_2421.jpg

Before

100_2415.jpg

After

100_2428.jpg

The fan is powered off of the sleds electrical system. When you start it up it spins up and draws hot underhood air out. Even if you are going slow and working the motor with snow on the hood.

100_2434.jpg

I think that MTNTK's different approach to actively ventilating the underhood heat is going to work well regardless of the snow conditions. This is a more active approach that will keep the under hood heat down while it is being built rather than trying to dissipate it after it has already soaked in.

I will be doing some more testing on this setup later this week and will let you know the results that I find.

If you'd like more info on this check out their website at www.MTNTKperfomance.com mtntkdyno@gmail.com

100_2439.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Great idea, I like it a lot.
However, I'd like to see how long the fan lasts in the elements snowmobiles see.

High heat.
High moisture.

But, I really only have experience with DC computer fans.
I do have a very high RPM (blow dryer volume) fan from an old CPU cooler....hmmm.... :p It would prob be louder than the sled idling. lol

turbolover

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
It is a brushless motor so the only thing that can/could wear out is the bearings.
I asked and was concerned about that same thing.
Shann assured me that they have not had a problem with the motor from moisture or vibration yet.

I even asked about having it come to a full stop from snow ingestion from rolling the sled or sticks getting stuck in it. They had an incident that a customer had a screw get jammed in the fan and he rode it home 25 miles like that at full stall. It did make the sled run a little funny but it still ran.

If the fan did completely lock up you can simply unplug it and ride it normally without the fan.

Believe me If anyone can break something its military guys. There is a reason they have MILSPEC.
I plan on giving this thing hell to see what it will take.

I wouldn't throw something out there for others to try if I didn't believe in it.

turbolover

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
This is what I was talking about. This thing actually ventialtes the underhood heat out even when the sled is going slow or sitting still.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Have you looked at what Doo did on the '12's with the goofy looking clutch cover/air duct?
It takes the rotation of the clutches/belt and funnels the air being moved out the left footwell. It flat-out works. Moves easily 3-4 times the air volume of a identical sled with a standard cover. It draws from around the base of the engine so it supposely lowers the temps in that area of the engine alightly as well because of the amount of air being moved.
I have run the same sled with and without....definate difference and it keeps that left footwell virtually clear of snow on all but the deepest days, so it's moving a lot of hot air without a doubt.
Doo claims 20-30 degrees cooler at the clutch and a few degrees at the engine....exactly where they are looking at temps I don't know.
It basically just hugs the clutches so the air has to go where the plastic deflects it to.... out the footwell.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
How much power consumption for the fan? I really like the idea and the work looks very well done.I sure you are aware how taxed the electrical supply on a turbo sled with oil pump and gauges etc is already. I wonder if there would be power for it.

Also , price? or did I miss that ?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
if they wanted smoke why didn't they just start it cold :face-icon-small-ton

looks like that fan moves some air seems like it would work good
not a new idea but better refined i'm interested

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i was considering doing the same thing, or at least something similar, since i have seen belt temps top 300 degrees and clutch temps over 275. i don't think a computer fan would move enough air and i'm thinking i would kill it fairly quickly with where it is located. i bought an inboard motor fan (yes they move some SERIOUS air) and was going to mount it to the top of my clutch cover and just have it blow towards my gauges since i already have a relocation kit that vents heat nicely. the idea was to let it pull air from the already installed side vents. never got around to relocated the necessary components and mounting the fan. i was also going to mount a switch b/c you don't need it on all the time. i think it would definitely be helpful but as far as how much it would extend belt like would be really hard to quantify. nice setup though, but they need to add an on off switch.

pv

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
$300? Really? REALLY? Do Carl's sheave mod and kiss your clutch heat issues goodbye for a fraction of the cost.

Have FUN!

G MAN

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Nice video..

Remember, smoke is lighter than air.. and Hot air rises.. ever go in your attic in the Summer Months when your house is a cool 70 degrees.. what temp is the attic?..not 70 even with the fans on..

Not a bad idea, definitely not going to make anything run hotter.. but not sure it will make anything run cooler either.. hopefully it will, but moving some light smoke in a stationary object is not really an indication of what will happen with a moving object

Nice idea.. really.. but do you have any real world results/data that you could share?

MTNTK

Premium Member
Nov 5, 2009
Ashton, ID
mtntkperformance.com
Thanks for all the positive comments and constructive criticism. We really listen to everything and take it all in to try and make the most out of every product. We have some side by side real world data and video that we will be posting soon to our website. It will give some of you hyper-analitical number crunching, do they make any half number heat range sparkplug types something to chew on! One piece of feedback we have received was from a very dedicated muff pot cooking sledder that said with the blow hole installed it takes waaaaay longer to get any cooking done in the old muff pot. It really makes a huge difference especially when your in the deep stuff and your normal vents are totally covered. Going down the trail is one thing for your belt, 3' of powder is a whole different story. Like turbolover said you can smell the effects of pushing these sleds to the limit. When belts are now pushing over $200 dollars, if you can save a couple of belts in the life of your sled and lower the wear of the clutches, plus improve performance, thats a win win win. Stay "tuned" for more info. Thanks to turbolover for letting us hack up his sled, take pictures of us doing it and then paying for it!

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Thanks for all the positive comments and constructive criticism. We really listen to everything and take it all in to try and make the most out of every product. We have some side by side real world data and video that we will be posting soon to our website. It will give some of you hyper-analitical number crunching, do they make any half number heat range sparkplug types something to chew on! One piece of feedback we have received was from a very dedicated muff pot cooking sledder that said with the blow hole installed it takes waaaaay longer to get any cooking done in the old muff pot. It really makes a huge difference especially when your in the deep stuff and your normal vents are totally covered. Going down the trail is one thing for your belt, 3' of powder is a whole different story. Like turbolover said you can smell the effects of pushing these sleds to the limit. When belts are now pushing over $200 dollars, if you can save a couple of belts in the life of your sled and lower the wear of the clutches, plus improve performance, thats a win win win. Stay "tuned" for more info. Thanks to turbolover for letting us hack up his sled, take pictures of us doing it and then paying for it!

What does the fan draw for amps. Not a lot to spare when you have a turbo.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Like the idea, but I'd be bashing my knee on 'em constantly. Also, with my leg covering the vent, it would block off the forced ventilation.

If I didn't have those two issues, it'd be a great idea!

turbolover

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I didnt get the mileage I wanted to today but it worked great. No problems with the pro but my son's IQ 600 blew a chaincase and had to drag it back.

I did observe right away that the fan definitely draws some hot air out of the hood. I could feel it within the first couple miles. It didnt ever get hot on my leg but reaching down with my hand you could feel it.

I had to ride doubled up on the way out and didn't have a problem with bashing my knees on the vents. Riding single I very seldom sit down so covering the vent hole isn't a problem. Even sitting down doubled up my knee didnt cover the fan up. I'm only 5'6" so if your knees are sticking up by the handlebars I guess it could possibly be an issue.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho

Please take temps on both sheaves (faces) of both clutches and the side of the belt with and without the blower. Thanks

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
race car temperature stickers work well for this type of analysis. You would have to run the sled with out the fan for a while check the max temp on the sticker. Then a put a new sticker on the clutches and run with the fan. That is the cheapest and easiest way I can think of with out adding a separate gauge. I run them on my brake calipers in my race car along with temp paint on the brake disc. Helps to analysis brake ducting as you want some air but too much increases the drag of the car.

Be honest and take some pics of the stickers before and after, and post up.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...ature-Ranges&form_prod_id=6867&action=product

Last edited:
N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
race car temperature stickers work well for this type of analysis. You would have to run the sled with out the fan for a while check the max temp on the sticker. Then a put a new sticker on the clutches and run with the fan. That is the cheapest and easiest way I can think of with out adding a separate gauge. I run them on my brake calipers in my race car along with temp paint on the brake disc. Helps to analysis brake ducting as you want some air but too much increases the drag of the car.

Be honest and take some pics of the stickers before and after, and post up.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?t...ature-Ranges&form_prod_id=6867&action=product

A laser temp gun works very fast and easy.

Premium Features