• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets see some "Cold air" turbo intakes

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
cumminshp,

before turbo i had a 09m8 and i used the bdx aribox on it, i think it works well, but the best part of it is losing all the extra weight. you can gut the hood and the nose cone of all the air box gizmos and lose probably close to 10lbs...
i loved it on my 09m8....

C
Mar 20, 2011
That's what I was referring to was a bdx style intake! Brings cold/fresh air only through the nose of your sled!

Ive heard lots of guys running into problems on powder days. I think im gonna vent out my lights and ill bring a tube up from the nose of the sled under the hood and put a airfilter out the light hole then on the days where the front/nose vents clog up the airfilter will be connected to the piping and it will be pouring cold air over the intake hole.

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
For this application you can actually order the headlight bra with the pre-filter already on it from Mtn Fit.

This is the setup I run now, the white is mtnfit mesh, which I would assume lets some snow dust in (more than I'd want for an intake anyhow) so I'd assume that I'd need to put some prefilter behind it in order to use that for a cold air intake?

417267_2577800766376_1295088056_32084342_247875897_n.jpg

I'm definitely looking to add cold air, but I beat on my sleds more than average, and don't want to have issues when I break something. At this point I was just planning on sectioning off the back corner where the filter sits & venting the piss out of that area of the hood... but open to any suggestions.

B

brian_moreau7

Nov 9, 2008
What is Everyone using for The 90* (Sizes) Elbow and Plumbing for routing the Intake through the Hood? And where are you getting them from? Having trouble finding the hardware up here in Canuckland:canada:

My Temps on Long Pulls were @ 230...... running 13psi with BD's Intercooler & Ceramic Turbo Pipe. Lots of Hood Vents, Nose Cone Vents, and basically every other vent you can install.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
What is Everyone using for The 90* (Sizes) Elbow and Plumbing for routing the Intake through the Hood? And where are you getting them from? Having trouble finding the hardware up here in Canuckland:canada:

My Temps on Long Pulls were @ 230...... running 13psi with BD's Intercooler & Ceramic Turbo Pipe. Lots of Hood Vents, Nose Cone Vents, and basically every other vent you can install.

I got a 3" reinforced silicone 90 degree and a piece of 3" aluminum tube from Mopac in Calgary. Both were the "Vibrant" name brand ,and worked perfect.
Good luck!

http://www.mopacautosupply.com/

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
How well does the out of hood intake work

has anyone done a out of the hood cold air intake and regreted it! Thinkin about doing it but i braise trees all the time so i dont wanna do it if its not truely going to make a signifacant difference! Thanks guys

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
I have done the same setup as 'sledpiggy' and it does work well 95% of the time. More power and consistent power - YES it works much much better! On the deep days when snow is constantly hitting the intake or collecting around the intake, the pre-filter will ice up obviously causing an air intake blockage. The steam/heat from the turbo coming up through the intake piping causes the icing up. I am running the flexible pre-filter from BD which "should" work better than their standard intake cage.

I am going to move the intake up about 6 more inches so it's out of the snow collection area - maybe this will help a bit.

I ride the thick timber just as much as the next person, just have to pay attention more so of what's in the path of the intake. Keep it under control.

Last edited:
M

mtn_rider08

Dec 17, 2007
Prineville, OR
Finally made a cold air intake. Wow! What a difference it makes. No more bottom end big, and I have cut down on the amount of race gas I put in. Hoping to be able to run straight pump gas. Didn't seem like I needed to change clutching, but I think I had too heavy of weights to start with. I will post picture when I can, I'm on my phone now.

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
So, I went ahead and cut a hole in my hood. I was very nervous, but after seeing IAT temps in the low 200 range, it seemed like the right thing to do. Unbelievable difference in my sled. I had to add a bunch of fuel and it runs better than ever. The only complaint is the fact that it is noisy. The max I saw was 140. I would still like to see it below 120, but that will have to do for now. Not only did the sled run better than it ever has, I really think this will help with the longevity of the reeds. I think the high IAT is killing the reeds. I can still open and close my hood and I bring an extra pre-filter, just in case I rip this one. If you are riding in deep snow, you could get a longer intake tube and raise it up. I want to keep it as low as possible so I could open and close the hood. I don't think it came out looking too bad. It still looks a lot better than a mesh hood..IMO!
From summitracing.com...
SPE-8791 $23.95
SPE-9419 $15.95
I also found a Airaid pre-filter that works on the BD intake canister
AID-799-430 $22.95

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Any concerns with plugging up intake in deep snow or snow ingestion with this mod?

S

Sno Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Any concerns with plugging up intake in deep snow or snow ingestion with this mod?
I'm willing to tak that chance. My sled is a whole different animal.
You could raise it up with a longer intake tube in really deep snow. I carry an extra pre-filter in case one gets ripped or ices up.
Look at where the stock intake gets air from, its not that much different. You can still reach forward and clear the snow.

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
I'm willing to tak that chance. My sled is a whole different animal.
You could raise it up with a longer intake tube in really deep snow. I carry an extra pre-filter in case one gets ripped or ices up.
Look at where the stock intake gets air from, its not that much different. You can still reach forward and clear the snow.

Careful with using that intake cage...in the right conditions ice can form in the small holes and possibly take out the compressor fins - just mentioning given the amount of research I've done on these. I am now using the flexible BD cage.

Yes, you have to put it up higher on the deeper days.

Glad you like the difference in performance - it really does make a BIG difference!

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Rode for a full week out in West Yellowstone, and Lolo Pass, MT, sucking cold air. Daytime temps climbed to near 55 degrees some days. The max temp I recalled on my Boondocker Box the whole trip was 110. This is using cold air intake, and inter-cooler with fan setup. Worth while mod IMO, and if I ever have issues plugging up on DEEP days, ill just put the filter cage back on the turbo, and tape over the hole in the hood. It does make the sled louder from behind the bars, especially the turbo chatter (surge) when letting off the throttle.

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
UPDATE: I have moved away from the Boondocker flexible intake cage as it does not work all that well with higher boost (only 9-11lbs)...the amount of intake pressure-suction will cause the prefilter to almost close in on it's self since the flexible cage is too flexivble (if that makes sense), therefore not getting enough air. Also had to move the intake cage up about 7-9" so it could breath. This was in 3ft a fresh powder.

Come to find out the flexible cage also ice's up - on the inside. Don't think there is anything you can do about that with any cage.

Some pics of that day: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308097

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i noticed the same thing with mine in deep powder...
i just had to clear it away more frequently.
kind of a pain, but it is what it is...
i have an idea though,
im going to take the same intake and drill holes in it from the point it clears the hood up till about 2" away from where the flexible bd cage is mounted, then i will wrap it in prefilter and silicone it to the tube itself. this should help more air to be sucked in in all conditions. i will still have to move away snow in th fluff but all other times it will be a non issue..
i think this might work as well. i think it just needs a little more air to be pulled in than the snorkel tube will allow. especially in the deep!!!!

M
Dec 30, 2007
The cold air intakes look promising!

Does anyone know the intake size of a 09 m8 twisted kit? Am pretty sure it's a 2871 turbo...would like to get the elbow and 3" tubing from from summit racing and save some coin vs the twisted cold air intake.

My sled is is storage so I would check myself but won't see it for a month.

So are you using the steel screen with prefilter over it? Or a boondocker flexible cage? Or how about a mointain peformance uni filter style filter?

Any help would be great! Am hoping to get the parts ordered soon!

Premium Features