• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets see some "Cold air" turbo intakes

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
When it's installed, what kinds of RPM increases are you guys seeing? I'm running 75gr weights in mine right now, hitting 8250 before the mod.... Just searching for some comparisons out there.
Cheers to BOOST:face-icon-small-coo

you know, i never even checked it, i havent had it wound up for to long yet, i will check it out this week and see if i see a difference in rpm's

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
Ya I'll be out in Mcbride this weekend trying it out too!!! :bolt:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I don't know how cold the air will be with my mod.

I did it to use with the Diamond S hood I just got for the season. I assume it will breath through the mesh OK so I just elbowed the air intake up and forward. Then a bit of aluminum was used to isolate the engine compartment from the aircleaner. It took about $20 worth of parts at lowes so it's no big heart break if it doesn't work....but I think it will???

If it does, I can build something a bit more duty and cosmetic.

Fresh air intake trial.JPG Simple fresh air riser and heat barrier.jpg Fresh air top view.JPG

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
Well had a good ride this wkend with the new cold air intake system:face-icon-small-coo. Saw no increase at all in RPM from the stock set up, just a bit better btm end pick up... Sled is so much fun to ride

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
has anyone run a cutler or twisted style cold air without lights? any idea if running SLP style mesh behind the mesh headlight covers would be enough to do the trick?

Been wanting to do this, but I beat up hoods pretty bad & didn't want to put a big investment in them. My intake sits at the back corner next to the tank... probably about as warm a spot as you'll find. Lots of venting... but it sounds like there's more to be gained than I thought.

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
That's the same spot as my Cutler one was in. I just added a straight pc of rad hose about 8" long and that brought it out on top of the hood, a little bit of cutting on the hood and black cowling by ur knee and its now breathing nothing but cold, fresh air!!

B
Jan 30, 2010
cache valley ut
has anyone run a cutler or twisted style cold air without lights? any idea if running SLP style mesh behind the mesh headlight covers would be enough to do the trick?

Been wanting to do this, but I beat up hoods pretty bad & didn't want to put a big investment in them. My intake sits at the back corner next to the tank... probably about as warm a spot as you'll find. Lots of venting... but it sounds like there's more to be gained than I thought.

Twisted cold air intake, using all mountainfit vents. I've never checked charge temps but I gained 500-700 rpm so I assume it went down quite a bit :cool:

uploadfromtaptalk1326747024325.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1326747069539.jpg

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
Where is the best place to buy the prefilter and cage? Are you getting around the portland area or internet?

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West

No lights in my machine

M
Dec 30, 2007
anyone try a homemade cold air intake on a twisted setup? my sleds a 09 so cutting the hood wont hurt my feelings too much bhaha

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
No lights in my machine

This is the setup I run now, the white is mtnfit mesh, which I would assume lets some snow dust in (more than I'd want for an intake anyhow) so I'd assume that I'd need to put some prefilter behind it in order to use that for a cold air intake?

417267_2577800766376_1295088056_32084342_247875897_n.jpg

I'm definitely looking to add cold air, but I beat on my sleds more than average, and don't want to have issues when I break something. At this point I was just planning on sectioning off the back corner where the filter sits & venting the piss out of that area of the hood... but open to any suggestions.

D
Nov 26, 2007
hayden Idaho
Well... a few days ago I bit the bullet and cut a hole in my hood to do the same kind of intake that some of you guys have done.. I must say, I am SOOO glad i did.. sled ran flawless and seemed to be a lot more crisp.. turbo whistle is a lot louder too, which i think is pretty badazz....I ended up finding a hose from napa(i think its of a semi truck) that is basically shaped like a backwards L.. works amazing and glad i did...Happy riding to everyone:face-icon-small-coo

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
This is the setup I run now, the white is mtnfit mesh, which I would assume lets some snow dust in (more than I'd want for an intake anyhow) so I'd assume that I'd need to put some prefilter behind it in order to use that for a cold air intake?

417267_2577800766376_1295088056_32084342_247875897_n.jpg

I'm definitely looking to add cold air, but I beat on my sleds more than average, and don't want to have issues when I break something. At this point I was just planning on sectioning off the back corner where the filter sits & venting the piss out of that area of the hood... but open to any suggestions.

Yea I have pre filter on my intake behind the screened off head lights, looks just like the other guys' intakes sticking out of the hood in above posts. I use the moflow head light screens, the ones with prefilter as well.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just did the cold air "section" on my sled this week.

Bparks did some creative work avoiding temp transfer to the charge tube, and keeping the hot air out of the intake area.

421117_2657490558571_1295088056_32112609_1974258976_n.jpg

using these side vents from BR-tech, the area behind the shield should have plenty of options for cold air to suck in.

427323_2657304753926_1295088056_32112570_457050739_n.jpg

Curious to see what this does tomorrow.

C
Mar 20, 2011
All the sleds and intakes look great. Today i was thinking about doing this on my sled its not turbo-ed or anything just basic little things but i thought there might be a gain to this and i hate where the stock intake is right by all the engine heat i was thinking of making a heat shield and then running some piping under the hood up near the headlights or something and running a filter off that anyone got any ideas suggestions or think it would help a pretty much stock sled ? I know guys who have done it on older polaris's and artic cats and say it helps just trying to think of a way to run pipe under the hood from all the way up front any ideas ? Thanks guys and again all the sleds look awesome :face-icon-small-coo

M

M1000Mod162

Nov 23, 2009
Colorado
All the sleds and intakes look great. Today i was thinking about doing this on my sled its not turbo-ed or anything just basic little things but i thought there might be a gain to this and i hate where the stock intake is right by all the engine heat i was thinking of making a heat shield and then running some piping under the hood up near the headlights or something and running a filter off that anyone got any ideas suggestions or think it would help a pretty much stock sled ? I know guys who have done it on older polaris's and artic cats and say it helps just trying to think of a way to run pipe under the hood from all the way up front any ideas ? Thanks guys and again all the sleds look awesome :face-icon-small-coo

If its a M just do cold air only through the nose of the sled! WorksGreat if you do it right!

C
Mar 20, 2011
If its a M just do cold air only through the nose of the sled! WorksGreat if you do it right!

Got any pics and what do you mean like cut a whole right in the center of the hood and put a straight piece of pipe to the factory air intake whole and then a airfilter on the pipe ? I think that would look kind of dumb.... and also bieng so far up get hit around alot and pushed. Could you better explain your idea and maybe give a pic ?

C
Mar 20, 2011
Would there be any gain to doing this on a pretty stock m7 ? I've thought of running a air filter through one of the headlight holes but i dont know if i would have enough room under the hood for the piping for it and if theres any real gain ?

Premium Features