• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets see some "Cold air" turbo intakes

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i looked into using the stock intake location, and the amount of fabricating needed to accomplish plus with all the engine heat rising and heating that area, i though it would not be as effective as a snorkel.
i did not like the thought of cutting my hood for this, but oh well, we pay a lot of $$$ for these sleds and turbo kits. i want it to run its best!

i have a bd kit with the bd box, last year with under hood intake i would see charge temps on the trail and light boondocking around 80-130, in extreme boondocking even warmer.

with the snorkel the 80-130 i was seeing is down to 40-60 and the extreme boondocking i have seen it over 100 one time.

i run straight avgas i run around 8-10lbs boost.

the snorkel intake is providing me with great fresh air, and the bottom end difference is what i was looking for. their is a huge difference.

it cost me about 30$ for the elbow and the straight piece of rubber i used to make mine.

cold air is a must!!!!!

IMG_0800.jpg

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
Wasatchcomm, does the filter come off to open the hood? A picture of the plumbing with the hood off would be awesome if you get a chance.

I'm thinking of doing something like this but my biggest worry is ripping my prefilter on branches every ride (my M8 came equipped with the factory tree-magnet.) I'm thinking of laying the filter down, pointing towards the rear bumper, and them making a deflector to protect it from branches. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking part of a cone to keep branches from catching on it. Anyone want to help me brainstorm on this?

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
Hey I just did the same thing to my Cutler Stage 1 kit except mine came up a little closer to my knee. Was just wondering if once you did this, did you have to adjust your fuel mapping???

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Wasatchcomm, does the filter come off to open the hood? A picture of the plumbing with the hood off would be awesome if you get a chance.

I'm thinking of doing something like this but my biggest worry is ripping my prefilter on branches every ride (my M8 came equipped with the factory tree-magnet.) I'm thinking of laying the filter down, pointing towards the rear bumper, and them making a deflector to protect it from branches. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking part of a cone to keep branches from catching on it. Anyone want to help me brainstorm on this?

ya i just have to loosen the clamp up a bit and it will come right off,
i thought about the ripping of the prefilter as well,
i bought a couple extra and also the cage for it as well.
i carry 1 extra prefilter with me. just in case...
the cage would be hard to damage, it is ver flexible.

i used a nylon wrapped pressure pipe for the straight tube up, hard to tell in the pics, i did not want something to rigid, the whole thing can flex a little but the tube is rigid enough to get a tight seal.

its working out great so far.

i thought about the twisted intake, it looks very nice.
however i thought for the money and how this is pulling in air straight to the turbo it will be coldest this way.

when snow gets on it i just flip the prefilter with my hand a couple times and its clear again, this has not been an issue at all.

here are some pics, hope it helps....

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
I think this intake would probably fit other kits with compressor side facing forward. Im sure you would have to make slight changes to make it fit others besides twisted. Very clean install, went together perfectly, everything lined up great. Black 90 in avatar pic goes into duct at the end with large hole in it.

I did headlight delete on mine and put pre filter and mesh on other end of duct work in the head light area. I did not try this but I think with this intake you probably could still run your headlights still if you wanted (with extra venting in dash). The duct that goes into aluminum sheet on underside of hood sticks in about an inch or so, the lights would be just above that. Then just put pre filter around the 90 on turbo.

Twisted intake.jpg

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Hey I just did the same thing to my Cutler Stage 1 kit except mine came up a little closer to my knee. Was just wondering if once you did this, did you have to adjust your fuel mapping???

i did need to lower my secondary injectors, they were coming on to soon.
the bd box with the ada, adjusts the fuel based on the temps, so when i put colder air to it it did its thing....

i will say it is much crisper in the bottom end all the way through with the cold air intake.
its very noticeable to me....

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
if the charge temps were the same either way of doing this, (snorkel vs twisted intake) i would choose the twisted version, you would never have to worry about trees or filter ripping...

however, where the plate blocks off the headlight area from the engine the heat from the motor has to be heating it up a bit...

sure wish someone had charge temps to compare...

their is no comparison to the snorkel and under hood intake.(filter directly on turbo)

its a huge difference!

less octane, more boost, crisper throttle response!!!

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
rusty,,
on your kit,
did you notice an improvement with the cold intake vs the under hood intake?

My machine is still a virgin for (the most part) with hair dryer this year. I live in MN and we don't have chit for snow, super warm lately:mad2:

Had it out on the pond a few days ago for about 1/2 hr breaking it in, would hit 7 lbs on and off, stopped and opened hood and grabbed charge tube, was barley warm to touch. I know this is not much of a test but under hood temps were a lot higher then charge tube. I added as many additional vents as possible to hood so that motor would get enough air flow with headlights blocked off now. Going to Wyoming soon to give it a rip:tea:

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
good info here, i just installed a cold air snorkel on the etec, it jumped me up 400rpm and was a complete different sled, will never use the underhood air again

now what i would like to know, is what gauges or what type of install are you guys using to get your charge air temps, are you using a heat gun, or actual gauge

want to keep a eye on charge temps, just not sure on the how to

install pictures http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291837

Ken Climb

Premium Member
I think this intake would probably fit other kits with compressor side facing forward. Im sure you would have to make slight changes to make it fit others besides twisted. Very clean install, went together perfectly, everything lined up great. Black 90 in avatar pic goes into duct at the end with large hole in it.

I did headlight delete on mine and put pre filter and mesh on other end of duct work in the head light area. I did not try this but I think with this intake you probably could still run your headlights still if you wanted (with extra venting in dash). The duct that goes into aluminum sheet on underside of hood sticks in about an inch or so, the lights would be just above that. Then just put pre filter around the 90 on turbo.

Cool! Is Cutler's C.A.I. similar to this twisted set-up?

D

DTrip

Nov 26, 2007
good info here, i just installed a cold air snorkel on the etec, it jumped me up 400rpm and was a complete different sled, will never use the underhood air again

now what i would like to know, is what gauges or what type of install are you guys using to get your charge air temps, are you using a heat gun, or actual gauge

Cat's w/ Boonie Box use the stock air temp sensor mounted in the airbox or intercooler. Couldnt you just put a quick response egt sensor and use a gauge that has 3 inputs?

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes i could, i just dont have egts, just the a/f, i could get a three sensor egt tho

i thought there could be a different method that would be quick and cheap, only plan to use it short term

S
Dec 11, 2007
Luleå, Sweden
393461_10150463087827971_696787970_8583771_1103947604_n.jpg

My 2008 M8 Push Turbo with a MCX prefilter. Works ok but always bring a spare filter when riding. The RPM went up alot, need to change my clutch setup!:rockon:

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.

the bd box uses input from the stock cat air sensor to give you this reading.
the sensor is placed in the intercooler, or airbox, whichever you have.

so it is after the air has been cooled by the cooler on my kit.

the difference is real and significant.

its no secret with a turbo, the colder the air the better.

i would rather run the same octane i have been (100ll)
and turn my boost up.
before the cold air intake install,,, i thought the bottom end was lazy on my sled, and after the install(cold air) it is totally different.

its a must in my opinion.....

spag900

Premium Member
Dec 15, 2007
When it's installed, what kinds of RPM increases are you guys seeing? I'm running 75gr weights in mine right now, hitting 8250 before the mod.... Just searching for some comparisons out there.
Cheers to BOOST:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features