• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Reed Set Up volume 2

G
Apr 23, 2008
u r welcome..

I have no experience with tdr reeds on turbos, I did have great results on the triples back in the old days .
Tony's laser cutting is for sure tops in longevity, and doubled , slightly lighter than stock tension reeds would be pretty tough to beat I would think....

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ran them for a season and got about 450 miles on them. I checked them the following year and they were toast

K

knzee

Dec 29, 2008
Great Falls, MT
Looking at getting a set of OVS reed stops for an m8 running 10psi, most of the time. Got around 450 miles on stock m8 reeds and the same on stock m1000 reeds. Pretty sure I am going to call OVS Monday but would like to hear how they are working for the folks who are running them with stock 8 reeds. Thanks

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
I put in the early m8/zr reads single stacked with the OVS stops and they lasted less than 15 miles! Put in a double stack today with the OVS stops and they are still good after 18 miles.... That is already a 20% improvement :mad2:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I put in the early m8/zr reads single stacked with the OVS stops and they lasted less than 15 miles! Put in a double stack today with the OVS stops and they are still good after 18 miles.... That is already a 20% improvement :mad2:

How was the response? Could you tell a difference?

S

SHOP!

Apr 21, 2011
MT. baker
Probably a stupid question, but what about the VForce Reeds??
Those will destroy your motor fast in a turbo set up. I know from experience. The cages will blow apart and bend your rods and wreck your turbo. If Vforce made there billet cages I wouldn't mind giving that a try.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Update,,

404hp on the rt 1000 doo, cat reeds like new..( zr style )

703 hp on DNE 1700 cc quad,, cat reeds now have 12 dyno runs and 22 test passes on ice,,, LIKE NEW..

both sleds run 24-26 psi...

two new records at dynotech,, all with good old suzuki reeds !!:face-icon-small-win

gus

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Update,,

404hp on the rt 1000 doo, cat reeds like new..( zr style )

703 hp on DNE 1700 cc quad,, cat reeds now have 12 dyno runs and 22 test passes on ice,,, LIKE NEW..

both sleds run 24-26 psi...

two new records at dynotech,, all with good old suzuki reeds !!:face-icon-small-win

gus

yeah yeah yeah....but how is the throttle response...J/K.......LOL

Congrats Gus!

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I pulled out the TDR reeds that were in for about 200 miles. They were installed on HO cages, with OVS stops. Better than the singled stock for me, but far from perfect. I did slightly score a cylinder, piston on that same trip due to a slight lean condtion, on the same side as the chipped reed so take that for what its worth.

I have now installed doubled zr/m reeds on the old style M8 reed cage w/ ovs stops. Ill see how it goes.

Disclamer: I am far from any type of turbo/reed expert so take these tests with a grain of salt. I don't even listen to myself all the time.....lol

DSCN0336.jpg DSCN0337.jpg

blackvelvet

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2007
Stacked ZR reeds

Just got done with first trip running 10-14 lbs with stacked zr reeds and factory stops, ran great bottom end didn't suffer at all....was only about 200 miles but so far so good,THANKS GUS!!

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I pulled out the TDR reeds that were in for about 200 miles. They were installed on HO cages, with OVS stops. Better than the singled stock for me, but far from perfect. I did slightly score a cylinder, piston on that same trip due to a slight lean condtion, on the same side as the chipped reed so take that for what its worth.

I have now installed doubled zr/m reeds on the old style M8 reed cage w/ ovs stops. Ill see how it goes.

Disclamer: I am far from any type of turbo/reed expert so take these tests with a grain of salt. I don't even listen to myself all the time.....lol

Thanks for the feedback. Great Avatar! So appropriate for our passions...LOL

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
More "test" results. 3 days of hard riding. Doubled ZR/M with ZR/M cages, OVS stops. No damage to top reeds as usual. Slight damage to the corner of the inside set of reeds both sides. Slightly more on the PTO as usual. The PTO corner of the PTO reed bottom sure seem to be the most affected each time I pull a set. I dont know what my next plan is at this point.

Single stack the tops, and TRIPPLE STACK the bottoms? lol
:clock:

DSCN0471.jpg DSCN0472.jpg DSCN0473.jpg

Last edited:
S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
I have not torn it apart yet to verify, but I think my reeds are shot again. The PTO side is going so rich the sled is unridable. It was so bad I thought I had squeaked my motor. The good news is that I can see no scoring through the plug holes or exhaust and the compression is good and even.

I would estimate that I have put 200 miles on my doubled ZR reeds with OVS stops. The cost of reeds is piling up, but the worst part is the ruined ride and the trouble of getting at the reeds....

Premium Features