• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What size Turbo are you running.

G
Apr 23, 2008
U guys rock..

Shains got you covered out there. the 76 is a beast.. I concur,, the 800 pulls so hard that 1200 and 1404cc , 144'' tracked pro stockers are left at the line. It makes you warm and fuzzy all over...an 800 twin wth carbs can pull so hard and run so fast out the top..all day. things have changed since 1984. boy have they ever.

will have to plan a week with 2 of my good flat land boost buds..can we rent turbos ???:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

I always have a T in my pocket for GOOD TIMES...promise not to use it ,,,,???

Gus

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--I will take the Tial External wastegate. They all got wastegates, just the Tial is more efficient due to placement. If it gets more power for less boost and less octane and better response, I am all in. It just makes sense to me.

--With what I think I know, I would go with a 2876 Tial. It would be interesting to hear from OVS why they chose the 2871 Hybrid compared to the 2876. I'm sure they have their reasons. At this point, I am not opposed to either one. The 76 should flow more air than a 71, even with both at 70 a/r. At 9000'+ altitude, air is a little thin and needs to flow.

--I believe the Hybrids Product Tester was referring to were the 2860 and 2868 60 a/r Hybrids available which are like sucking a milkshake through a straw, not necessarilly the 2871 70 a/r Hybrid.

--Product Tester, what has been your experience with the Tial external wastegate as far as performance goes?

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Gus, your going to need a turbo in your back pocket just to breathe up here.:face-icon-small-hap Or we could tap a line off the charge tube and pressurize your helmet.

--Someone probably will have M1100T's for rent somewhere. Grand Lake, CO is the best place to rent around here and there is plenty of mountain riding, trail riding, and lakes to race on. Although Shain may have some "experimental" shop sleds which may be more fun to play with.

Last edited:

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
.......can we rent turbos ???:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-ton

Gus

That's all the rest of us do.......I'd say we generally pay about between $3 - $10 a mile to rent em for a few seasons. Tenant improvements are the name of the game!.......lol

Gus, if ya ever make it out here, I have a spare. It's N/A, so we just have to switch off now and then.....too addicted to not ride it a part of the ride.....:face-icon-small-win

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
--I will take the Tial External wastegate. They all got wastegates, just the Tial is more efficient due to placement. If it gets more power for less boost and less octane and better response, I am all in. It just makes sense to me.

--With what I think I know, I would go with a 2876 Tial. It would be interesting to hear from OVS why they chose the 2871 Hybrid compared to the 2876. I'm sure they have their reasons. At this point, I am not opposed to either one. The 76 should flow more air than a 71, even with both at 70 a/r. At 9000'+ altitude, air is a little thin and needs to flow.

--I believe the Hybrids Product Tester was referring to were the 2860 and 2868 60 a/r Hybrids available which are like sucking a milkshake through a straw, not necessarilly the 2871 70 a/r Hybrid.

--Product Tester, what has been your experience with the Tial external wastegate as far as performance goes?

The lower octane thing on a tail seems like a myth to me, once you hit a certain amount of hp you will run out of octane, I've seen bd kits run at 1000ft 8-9lbs on 91 and the most I can squeeze out of mine is 7lbs(barely). But they both have comparable power at those levels, ie if both are climbing a hill at wot they run about the same even though the boost level is different etc.... The tail may be more efficient, I can't say for sure but octane vs power will be the same. The 2876 is going to carry less charge temp and thus maintain more boost without det. From what I have learned anyway.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
How is this OVS turbo a hybrid if it merely has an optional compressor housing? Is there an aftermarket billet compressor wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
" The 2876 is going to carry less charge temp and thus maintain more boost without det. From what I have learned anyway." (wyoboy)

"More boost without det.= more HP per given octane"

--I was just agreeing with you.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
" The 2876 is going to carry less charge temp and thus maintain more boost without det. From what I have learned anyway." (wyoboy)

"More boost without det.= more HP per given octane"

--I was just agreeing with you.[/QU

After thinking about that, I got to thinking there 2 ways to look at it, thanks for clearing that up

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
So...

I guess the real question becomes what is a 2860 worth and who wants one?

Like the 2876 idea. The idea behind keeping the low end responsive makes sense with more non-boosted airflow. How plug and play do you guys think a 2876 would be? Just tuning numbers and changing charge tube correct? Anyone changed a kit over? Sounds like lots have just started them that way. Great stuff guys. Always interesting to read.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
In my first post is two more threads that give info on that stuff, sounds real easy to do, as for the 2860 I think the 4 stroke guys are still using them.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--It's way more than just more than just non-boosted low end airflow, although that is part of it

--With the larger compressor wheel and housing, you get alot more volume of air to the engine per given wheel rpm, on or off boost. Two strokes need to breathe, especially at altitude.

rusty rider

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Middle of the West
the larger exducer on the comp wheel is producing higher TIP speeds ( diameter ) at the same shaft rpm.. thats good and where we see the gains at low rpms.

Though these hybrids are very good, till We can test one in the field the 2876 is getting the nodd from me for the 800's

the 3076 is barely addequate of 1 liter and up..My favorite is the 3082 or a hybrid 3076....those rock the house HARD !!!!

First thing I noticed when swapping to the 3582 from the 3076 was LAUNCH pull.. no comparison..NONE..bigger is better..

be cool

Gus

Gus

I'm getting a m1000 rg kit soon from shain, it comes with the 3071, so your opinion is that its to small of a turbo for my m1000? I know Shains kits are proven but I'm new to turbos, just trying to learn as much as possible. Appreciate the turbo talk, knowledge is power!

Premium Features