• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OVS Propane Turbo + spare buddy tank :)

K

Klimbing Kitty

Went out last weekend to try my buds new boosted propane sled.
Very impressed!! Power is super smooth and it pulls like a freight train. Fuel bill for a full day of sledding $27 my race gas full day $200+
I will be adding LPG to my other stocker asap.
So i have heard that a spare/buddy tank cost to much to produce so you can just use a BBQ tank with LPG in it.

Couple pics of the 2011 TM8 Broil King
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Travis and Garr......... U done Good

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
Broil King

Fuel mileage is great about the same as a race gas M8 but it sure is cheaper. Klimbing Kitty and I are going out tomorrow and hopefully we will compare the sleds on ahill side by side and I already know I have him beat in the cost savings. As an example 50 miles combined trailand boondocking I used about 27 litres of lpg for a cost of $30.

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Are you having to fill the sleds tanks with your buddy tank or just plumbing it in temporary as a spare? What elevation and boost are you currently running? Let us know how the comparison goes, the fuel bill sure sounds nice...

K

Klimbing Kitty

Are you having to fill the sleds tanks with your buddy tank or just plumbing it in temporary as a spare? What elevation and boost are you currently running? Let us know how the comparison goes, the fuel bill sure sounds nice...

Spare was just a test to ride in the trail to where we would usually drop are fuel and then hooked back up to ride out at the end of the day. Unfortunately the spare tank won't work for the BBQ at lunch :)

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
Buddy tank

Just plumbing it in to get in and out without using the main tanks. Works well. That ride was at 4000 ft and 10# boost. Tomorrow we should be at 14#s. Unfortunately Klimbing Kitty has an intercooler and can run big boost so if we don't stay at 14-16# I will lose. Thats ok to a Buddy.:sun:

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
I like the idea of the "trail tank". When i saw the picture i was thinking you were packing it around all day... But that is a good idea to say the least. Hopefully you can compare some equal boost setups. Even if the LPG is a tad down on power it still makes up for it when filling. Is OVS going to offer an intercooler for the propane setup?

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Yes the aluminum would be better I'm sure he just had it laying around in the shop. But for the trail ride in it would be a great thing to have hooked up then just stash in the trees. We do this every weekend with our spares. You would need one that can operate on its side effectively and keeps the pickup submerged with liquid propane. A "horizontal" tank.

Did you notice any problems with you spare not drawing propane correctly when sloshing around?

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
Buddy tank

:face-icon-small-hapI did not notice any problems at all.
The tank was a forklift tank and it worked as planned. Just as a side note Klimbing Kitty and I were out today and ran the hills at 5500 to 6500 ft and I was very pleased with the propane sled. We ran a number of times side by side and at comparable boostlevels and I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IT WAS DEAD NUTS EVEN. Very happy.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap I only spent approx $25.00 for fuel.

K

Klimbing Kitty

The tank was a forklift tank and it worked as planned. Just as a side note Klimbing Kitty and I were out today and ran the hills at 5500 to 6500 ft and I was very pleased with the propane sled. We ran a number of times side by side and at comparable boostlevels and I WOULD HAVE TO SAY IT WAS DEAD NUTS EVEN. Very happy.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap I only spent approx $25.00 for fuel.

and I spent $100 plus or minus a few pennies:face-icon-small-dis

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Glad to hear it performed well... What boost levels did you compare? Whats considered safe for 5500+ft with propane?

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta

I'm so sold on converting my setup it's not even funny! Think I'll get Linderman to do the work and convert mine to tunnel dump as well! Can't wait for next season already, thanks for the reports guys. Sounds like it exceeds even my expectations. Hoping to run 15-20lbs of boost at 6-7000ft next year!

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
Safe to run 14#s maybe 16 on short stuff. OVS has an intercooler for the propane sled as well and I think Travis is running it at 22#s . The two short vids are at !0#s we were up to 14 after that. Love that lpg. cheers

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Safe to run 14#s maybe 16 on short stuff. OVS has an intercooler for the propane sled as well and I think Travis is running it at 22#s . The two short vids are at !0#s we were up to 14 after that. Love that lpg. cheers

Is 22psi with a water cooled intercooler or air? That's impressive to say the least.

Has anyone found Det limits? What psi @ what elevation...

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Did you notice any problems with you spare not drawing propane correctly when sloshing around?

I doubt the ovs setups do this... as there feed lines from the tanks running to the reg are much larger then mine.. i htink mine is 1/8" ID... mine runs flawless until it will start to pop full boost... this means you have about 1-2 miles left of riding to do if your limping down the trail with no boost.. but it runs spot on perfect until its damn near TOTALY dry.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
looks like the propane is a small chunk more money but propane is available almost everywhere and never have to worry about bringing extra fuel. propane is quite something. smart fellows over at OVS

KSR

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2010
12#s

Klimbing Kitty you were running 12#s I was only at 8. We better do this again next weekend. Just kidding had a great day

Premium Features