• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Viper skid into 99 sx

S
Oct 23, 2010
Hello, I am looking for some help with my skid swap. I have just purchased a 2003 Viper mountain 144" skid and will be putting it in my 1999 sx700. I already have the 136 rail extensions in the sx right now and am not happy with it. I am wondering if I bolt the new skid into the same front mounting holes, and into same rear holes, (I realize i will need drop down mounting brackets) But if i keep everything at the same plane as the original skid and use original mounting holes, will I still have a steep approach angle?

THANKS.
Steve

R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
The suspension will not work in stock mounting holes, it will be too short. The MTN viper suspension is made to be mounted in a set back position to improve the approach angle. I had a MTN viper suspension in my 97 SX 700.. You will want the transfer enhancement kit from Mountain Performance too.

S
Oct 23, 2010
Do you have any idea where I might find the measurements to move the skid frame back? I guess I will have to reinforce the tunnel too. The Skid frame is in shipping right now, so I have not had a chance to see it yet, but did the sx viper skid come with rails that have a less approach angle? or is the angle of the rails the same as my 121 rails? I will definatly order the transfer enhancement kit. What I am trying to accomplish is to stop my sled from trenching! The sled is a submarine for snow the way it is set up right now. I have tried everything with suspension set ups, adjustable weight transfer rods, and limiter straps,I sucked them tight, I let them loose, I even took the limiter straps off and it still trenched. The short suspension travel didn't help any either. And I think the rail extensions screwed with the hole geometry of the machine.

Thanks
Steve

L

LOKI

Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Mountain Performance has a relocation template that they offer with there kits for easy installation. give them a call

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The angle of the rails does not make the approach angle of the track. The height of the drivers in the chassis and the setback of the skid make the angle. The more you move the skid back the shallower the angle because the distance to go up to the drivers is greater. The only other way to help is to do the drop and roll of the chaincase. That lowers the height thereby making a less steep angle. Tightening the front limited strap also has some effect on the angle. Good luck.

S
Oct 23, 2010
I am located in Alberta Canada. So if I am going to be pulling back the skid, is a 144" track going to still fit? I havn't bought a track yet, but was going to pick up a 144" track tomorrow. Now I am not sure what I am doing. All i know is I don't ever want rail extensions again, and i want less approach angle with good weight transfer. I do a fair bit of trail and lake rideing, and also hit the mountains for deep powder riding and a bit of climbing.

S
Jul 4, 2009
I don't see how the 144 track would still work if you set back a 144 skid. That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if you put on a 151 track on you could make it work... if that is an option for you.

R
Nov 26, 2007
Central MN
If you get a 144" yamaha skid, yes a 144" track will work and will mount set back from the stock front holes of the 121" track. I will see if I can't get you the starting point measurement for the front hole. I ran a MTN viper 144" skid in my Mountain Max with a 144" track.

D

Ding

Apr 17, 2002
Michigan
Doing one now . . .

• Axle to Front CTC . . . 357mm
  • Axle to Middle CTC . . . 711mm
  • Axle to Rear CTC . . . 1074mm
  • Front to Middle CTC . . . 356mm
  • Middle to Rear CTC . . . 382mm
  • Front to Rear CTC . . . 748mm

Make a template out of a thin stiff material (paper, wood, metal, etc.).

1. Decide where you want the front of the skid to set for height (ensuring proper distance from drive axle). You will need the skid for this.
  2. Then swing the middle and rear mounts as a unit to get the right ride attitude. (this is why a template helps so much)

Very important to keep the 3 mount points at the same triangle (see measurements and make template)

The easiest is to get a set of Mount Plates for the Mtn Viper skid. There are 6 mount plates and 4 backers. The front plates use Stavex rivets for the backers (same as the mounts themselves). The rear plates use screws for the backers.

Premium Features