• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What size Turbo are you running.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
what i would like to know is, if the 2860 is not the top performing turbo for these sleds(800cc) why is it that cutlers, ovs, boondockers all offer it with their kits?
even the ovs pg kit this year is standard with the 2860.
when i purchased my turbo kit last year, i talked with all the turbo mfg's and they all said for my style riding (boondocking and such) the 2860 is what i wanted, better bottom end, than a 2871 but, it was giving in to the 2871 on top..( twisted was selling the 2871 only if i remember right)
now, enter the 2876
i dont know a lot about turbos and the size and this and that, i just expect a mfg that has a few years of testing,, i imagine all the different size turbos, that this would have been worked out by the time i bought my kit.

seems their is ??? still about the different size turbos.

i like to boondock, a little climbing, but ultimatly, i want instant response and power, my 2860 spooled up and hitting a hill, will climb anything I want to climb, so im good on the top end with my kit, if i can improve the bottom end with a different turbo then i will gladly replace my 2860..

i know with my setup right now the only thing i think needs addressed is the intake, i need cold air in conjunction with my intercooler, i think that alone will make my kit that much better.
but im willing to try the larger turbo as well, just would like to see/talk with someone that has used the two turbos on the same sled and know what they thought about the difference...

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
OVS sells the 60 with the pg kit so its cheaper, they said the pg kit is all about being cheaper so they went that route, but the sell the 71 and think it is the better kit, Push is using a 71 but with custom turbine and housing (a type of hybrid if you will) and claiming the best results.
Twisted comes standard with the 76 no matter what kit.
Some use tail housing some don't, if your looking for BD to hit the target maybe in the next few years they will finally update to something like that. They are even putting 71's on Pro RMK's so you ask yourself why, because they found something that works and are scared to get away from it. Cutler kits have been so reliable why change, they work, but I have heard rumors of testing just havent tuned it well enough to know for sure yet.

I have contacted some that know what they are doing or they just sent me messages saying "you want the 76"

Will it work for your kit, all depends, it might plug and play or you may have to tune it, but I am pretty sure you will want a bigger charge tube and prob junk that massive amount of charge tubing and intercooler, if you want a cooler get the Water to air cooler twisted builds, couldn't get any more efficient than that. There is almost always some clutching left on the table as well.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
2860 compressor outlet is 2" dia, 2876 is 2.5". Compressor outlet centerline is about 3/4-1" closer to the centerline of the turbine inlet. Turbine is the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--2871, with larger 70 a/r compressor housing, billet compressor wheel, oiless, Tial wastegate--flows similar to 2876 but with smaller diameter, lighter wheel for faster spool, though spool is not as critical with a higher volume flowing turbo --OVS sells this setup

--2876, 70 a/r compressor housing -- Twisted sells this setup

--OVS now sells the 2860 for the price point and volume sales to compete with other small turbo builders, not for best performance

Premium Features