• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Oil Delete Thread

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Good luck dude, im sure it will work out fine I'm doing mine as soon as I have time. how long did it take ?

Only a few hours. Take off belly pan, pipe, intake, throddle bodies, drain oil, etc.. Put in new Boyesen reeds while I was at it. Taking off the oil tank and pump were pretty easy, especially if you plan on not using them again. Did not take off y-pipe as per instructions.

More wrenching this weekend (Koso EGT, venting, hand/thumb warmers, change drive oil, launch my flying saucer, etc.).

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Only a few hours. Take off belly pan, pipe, intake, throddle bodies, drain oil, etc.. Put in new Boyesen reeds while I was at it. Taking off the oil tank and pump were pretty easy, especially if you plan on not using them again. Did not take off y-pipe as per instructions.

More wrenching this weekend (Koso EGT, venting, hand/thumb warmers, change drive oil, launch my flying saucer, etc.).

WOW, I didn't do near that much to do mine!

I think I did pipe & belly pan, def. didn't do intake & throttle bodies, but it's a squeeze.

They come with instructions now? That would have been nice.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Anyone thought about hooking up a hose and remote mouting the zerk like they do on tractors? It seems like it would be a lot easier to give it 1 pump every ride that way? I don't like the idea on a hole in the belly pan.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
itdoable, how'd you like those boyseen reeds? been thinking about adding a set since i've got mine all tore down. did you buy the ones that go in the stock reed cages?

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
itdoable, how'd you like those boyseen reeds? been thinking about adding a set since i've got mine all tore down. did you buy the ones that go in the stock reed cages?

Don't know yet (waiting for parts to fix a gas tank leak) .. they are the 2 stage reeds in the stock cage. Should be more responsive (so I've read). They did seem stiffer then stock. One of my original reeds was shot so I thought I'd try the Boyesen.

Be sure you order the PN with an 'E' on the end for EFI. Boyesen's PN on the internet was wrong, only listing the carb ones (same PN w/o an E).

Must say they have excellent customer service. Priority mailed me a new set with a return envelope for the wrong ones. Though you can probably get them a little cheaper if you don't order direct.

Last edited:
C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
The proper way that has been proven to work 100% over the years is to pull a cyl off and drill a 45* hole in the upper case half down into the oil cavity so the water pump shaft gets oil from the fuel/oil premix.There is a hole there allready that supplys the bearing with oil,I drill right next to that at a 45 angle into the oil cavity.I have done over a 100 cases like this with never a failure or worry.No lines to worry about,gravity drips oil/fuel down into the hole at all times.No pumping action or anything else needed to make it work.

I belive D&D,Speedworks,CPC and others all do it this way also.....

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
The proper way that has been proven to work 100% over the years is to pull a cyl off and drill a 45* hole in the upper case half down into the oil cavity so the water pump shaft gets oil from the fuel/oil premix.There is a hole there allready that supplys the bearing with oil,I drill right next to that at a 45 angle into the oil cavity.I have done over a 100 cases like this with never a failure or worry.No lines to worry about,gravity drips oil/fuel down into the hole at all times.No pumping action or anything else needed to make it work.

I agree that this is the best way to do it, the next ones I do I'm going to do them this way.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001

sounds like your drilling without splitting the cases?would be cool if anybody could post the hole pic.:beer;

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
Drilled many without splitting the cases.Just flip the engine upside down or tape off the crank area with duct tape to catch the chips and grease the drill bit.Also helps to have a shop vac sucking the chips away.

Going to do this to my GF's M8 next weekend when I have it apart to inspect everything.I really hate oil inj,you never know if it's working and even if it is it's prob putting the wrong amount of oil in anyway.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
ok.might do this someday.do you use like a speed square to get a 45* to hit gold and not the bearing?:)or is there plenty of room for error.thanks

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Two things I learned when putting it in this weekend.

First is I put in a zerk and left it overnight without filling as it was very late in the evening. In the morning there was a 1/2 dollar size puddle of injection oil on the floor. Was leaking out of the zerk. Either the zerk was defective, or they are not designed to hold back that thin of a fluid. Was afraid if at some point the grease washes away by premix, it would continue to leak.

So, given the leaking and that you can't inject engine assy lube in a zerk anyway, I errored on the safe side and filled it with lube then put the bolt in. I can still pull the bolt a few times a season and fill it back up with grease if needed.

Second is the left side of the sled is now significuntly heavier then the right side. Might have to put the stock can back in to balance it out.

Not really .. :rolleyes:

Need to win a quick pick so I can get a BDX lite DD.

Last edited:
G

GettnUnstuck

Dec 6, 2005
Prior Lake, MN
Oil Delete

Ok, so i'm going to run premix in my 09 M8, my only question is since the injectors will be injecting the oil with the gas... this will lean it out, correct? If so, what fuel to oil ratio would be the best/safest?

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Why not drill in the same spot on the PTO side? You can get at it with the motor in? Is there any issues with this ?

I answered my own question this weekend while installing the delete kit on my TM8. the reason I chose to do this mod was not because I think the engines are starved for oil in a turbo application, but due to there being no room for changing reeds and doing any other matenence related to having a turbo. as for the install it went "fairly" smooth after I got the oil tank out. here are some things to look out for if you decide to do this:

1.) The bolts that hold the oil tank to the frame are locktited to the nuts that are injection molded to the tank itself. With mine the nuts striped in the plastic on the first turn, so I ended up having to use a cutting wheel on the die grinder and cut the heads off the bolts (not a good way to start.)

2.) you do not have to take the Y pipe off as per the instructions. there is lots of room once the air box and t-bodies are removed.

3.) the instructions tell you to connect the oil injecton holes in the reed boots with a peice of the existing hose, I never had a peice that was long enough to do this, lucky for me my brother had some clippard line around that was the right size.

4. The vacume packing that the bdx kit came in basically
ruined the instructions, not that it is too hard to figure out, but sometimes a reference is nice. there was also one step in the instuctions that made no sense.???

5.) you can drill and tap the case while it is in the sled, you just drill in the exact spot on the PTO side of the case. drill slow and grease the drill bit, and the case is a bit thicker than .75, but you will know when you are through becase some gas / oil mix will come out. Then you can clean up the hole and run the tap in.

6.) we used the shop vac after drilling and a couple times while tapping the hole just to make sure the inside of the case was kept clean.

7.) make sure you install the oneway valve right and you are all set.

after doing this once I would not hesitate to do another, as long as thhe tank came out a bit better.

thanks to Chris79 and RJM350 for the help and beer fetching :beer;

Premium Features