• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Bumper Cracking Tunnel

S

sledhed88

Dec 13, 2007
Has anyone had there BDX Bumper kit snap there tunnel in half basically. Me and my buddy installed the kit back in the summer, with minimal use both tunnels have started cracking at the bottom rivet in the rear foot rest on both sides. Cracks go straight vertical. Rear halfs on tunnel are junk now> Will post pics later on:confused::confused:

here is my bdx bumper "I'm a buck sixty"

DSCN0188.jpg

DSCN0189.jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Jeff, see if you can post a better pic. I can't see how this relates to the bumper. (just can't tell from that pic)

yer tunnel wasn't exactly "stock" to start with though, could this have been related at all?
Of all the kits that people run that Brian did I've not seen one cause problems aside from where the new cooler support brackets were added last year.

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
mine cracked vertically just behind the r foot rest.right on the back edge where it lies against the tunnel.i fabricated up some support plates and rivited inside my tunnel and drilled a hole at the end of the crack.its a pretty beefy set up ,
but when stuck and lifting the rear bumper, there is still alot of flex movement.

S

spudman720

Jan 7, 2008
Sugar City, ID.
Broke mine on one side. never bent it up or broke other side though. Reinforced the broke side on the inside with a aluminum plate. I will probably replace the rear tunnel section this summer and fishplate both sides before I ride just to make it stronger.

mine cracked vertically just behind the r foot rest.right on the back edge where it lies against the tunnel.i fabricated up some support plates and rivited inside my tunnel and drilled a hole at the end of the crack.its a pretty beefy set up ,
but when stuck and lifting the rear bumper, there is still alot of flex movement.

Picture!!!! I welded my colant tube today and will make a re-enforcment on Wensday....

How did that happen? Did you land on the bumper or were you just lifting it?

A guy has to wonder if this will be the fate of the 09&10 stock sleds as the tail design is very similar??

coming of the top....wheeling pretty hard.

I compared mine to a stock 09 and the bumper goes past the running boards... bdx stops just short...

regardless I am 160 pounds dry...we gonna see a lot of these break or maybe I'm just an ****:D

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
This is why I am building my own, Like the vanamburg but incorporating the rear kick plates. I guess they should extend the riveted kickplates and tie into the back section of the tunnel a little further back? But it would just bend there! I am sure a stock tunnel would have kinked with that much of a whallop! The inside would be a good place to reinforce, But then the tunnel could buckle in the first half? I was just lookin again, If they machined a boss on the rear kick plate that you could rivet the rear bumper to, It would make it a much more rigid box section.

Mike

Last edited:

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Sledhead, I am guessing that we are looking at the inside of the tunnel, And that is the cooler line that is bent?

Mike

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
CHRISTIAN..l love your posts...do not take offense though...your nose picking avatar turns my stomach everytime...its far more effective then atkins or jenny craig...!!!

Premium Features