• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 m8 -m1000

W

WoodeeeM1000

Mar 14, 2008
Libby,Montana
Im not dissing on the power of my 08 M1000. It has awesome power, the only thing is Ive never found a way to get all that power to the snow. Spring conditions the thing is a rocket ship. Deep powder days its like a sloth! You have to poach tracks all day just to keep up speed while climbing, as soon as you hit the powder it falls on its face, doesnt transfer like the older m7. My buddy couldnt get his to perform like it should either after spending a few grand on upgrades, he parked it and bought an m7 and Cutler 1000 big bore, and that thing does what the M1000 should! If i remember right the M1 has about 60or 70 pounds more ski pressure than the M7. I really wish i could ride with a few of you guys that have made these sleds work good in the steep and deep powder, in the trees, not just climbing a bowl in spring conditions. Because i would like to save 12 grand an keep the 1000 rather than buy a new M8! Sorry for such a long post:beer;

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
M1000 is done after 2010 I predict.
When I bought my M7 new in 2006 the King Cat was still offered, but all the dealers brought in the M's for floor stock.
Same deal here - they'll leave the 1000 in the line up for 2010 to get rid of all the parts inventory; and keep evolving the M8 - as 800cc is the Mountain class.
I suspect the M1000 will be replaced with a Z1 Mountain four stroke.

I'm not the only one.....

K

Klimbing Kitty

and maybe they will ditch the 1000 just like the 700 and blow all your minds with a 1200. As far as weight goes the 1200 is no heavier than a 1000 but has the bonus of 225-235 HP. Gear it down and your track speed in the deep POW will never ever be the issue. Just sayin who the he)) knows whatz going to happen. With that all said lets just all agree the new M8 is by far the sickest 800 stock on the market. Still not sure about the seat though......:D:D:D:D

P

powderman800

Jan 28, 2008
Kennewick, WA
My .02

Personally, I'd like to know what Graveler and Fordman ride, I have a hunch they ride M7 or M8's. I would also like to know what their expierences are with an M1000 since they obviously don't own one. I have ridden an XP for a day and had no problems but I won't say its bad because I don't know enough about the XP to say so. I hope Arctic Cat does not go to a 4 stroke for its "1000" class entry. Personally, I would like to see the M1000 stick around and the M8's to stay in the 150's. Rant over.

Last edited:
M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
In all honesty the 09 M1000 isnt that much heavier, I have a sno pro with the 162,a D&D can and boss seat and it weighs 543 full to the brim with all fluids. My cousins XP with a 163 and a MBRP can full weighed 521. So even stock the power to weight ratio is in favour of the 1000, and if youre gonna mod its not even fair to compare because the XP is maxed out right out of the crate. And as far as the apex goes its an awsome trouble free sled but ride with big friends because no matter how much power it has, when its stuck 680 plus pounds is still 680 plus pounds no matter how u look at it!

I ran the T-nytro and was stuck once(hit kill switch)..Never got stuck again in 2300 kms..It is real hard to get stuck on the boosted sleds. Would like to see how the new M-8 would do with some extra air forced thru it tho..

B

boosted1

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
another opinion

I don't care what you all say... It's still a pig.

The 1000 motor is great for running trails or lakes but in the woods the M 8 walks all over it. And now with the new motor it just doesn't make any sense. Notice how nothing was done to the M1000 for 2010.... why is that???? Because it's on the way out.

If you just pound the hill all day long then you've got me there...but don't you get bored with that?

I have had 2 M1000's 2007 and 2008, personally, I couldnt tell the difference btween the 800 and 1000 when riding them, except that the 1000 has more power.
I now own a 2009 M8 162, I love this sled, I also have a buddy with a 2009 M1000 with pipe n head, they handle EXACTLY the same...and i mean EXACTLY!! Im 190lbs and cannot tell the difference when riding...except for power of course...the 2009 M1000 with SLP pipe, Boondocker and RKT head absolutley flys!
I have been riding the hell outta the M series since 2007 and if you can feel the 10-20lbs diff between the 1000 and 800 then your a better man than I!
The potential hp with mods on the 1000 is astounding
people wine about that extra 10-20 lbs, hell thats the difference between my 12 beer on board and your mickey of whisky! lol.

B

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
... if you can feel the 10-20lbs diff between the 1000 and 800 then your a better man than I!
The potential hp with mods on the 1000 is astounding
people wine about that extra 10-20 lbs,

B[/QUOTE]

I totally agree... I mean shi! full of fluids we're looking at 550-560, stuff my a$$ on it and we're looking around 780. You're telling me that 15 lbs off the sled makes THAT much of a difference when you're talking 800 lbs?? I find that very hard to believe, what can't be argued with is the the fact that the 1000 makes more power. Period. and THAT makes a huge difference at elevation.... just my .02

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
I'm jumping on this band wagon as well. I keep shaving weight off my M1000 and yet I go out and buy an ABS pack stuffed with tons of safety gear that adds up to 15lbs on my back. Who doesn't travel with a 5-10lb pack on their back in the mountains either, or extra fuel? Honestly, I bought the Freeride bag for my Vario ABS frame and can't tell any difference in how my sled handles when the weight is on me, just how much I don't feel it's there and have only used it one day.

My sled did everything it did stock other than the performance mods, hard to say one mod alone made my sled what it is now. The biggest change in weight loss was the handling in carving and hooking hardpack in the process. Stock with the heavy can, hood and exhaust it would throw me over the bars if I caught hardpack under the foot of powder, now nowhere near as much, I can fight the sled off of throwing me over and ride it out. Used to trench like a mofo, and the Simmons skis did the most to help out with this, and I do think the weight loss help get the sled up on the snow better between all the work I've done too.

To say the flickability is night and day from the M10 to the M8 over 20lbs is hard to believe. I would have to try it for myself to believe it. Only been on an M7, and must say, coming from my Edge chassis it did feel light and nimble, but so does my M10... I'm willing to try it, and so far am set on building an '09 M8 with the OVS aero right now. Hopefully the power will be the same at 800ft, and better at elevation with the boost?

B
Feb 19, 2008
Now I'm really lost!!!!!!!!!!

Trying to decide if I should buy '09 or 2010. I can get a 2010 M8 153 SnoPro for $9800. Also I can get new holdovers, 2009 M8 SnoPro 162 for $8700 or a M1000 153 SnoPro for $8800. I probably spend more time boondocking than highmarking. Which one would you pick?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
if your ok with getting roosted.get the 800

Last edited:
F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
Personally, I'd like to know what Graveler and Fordman ride, I have a hunch they ride M7 or M8's. I would also like to know what their expierences are with an M1000 since they obviously don't own one. I have ridden an XP for a day and had no problems but I won't say its bad because I don't know enough about the XP to say so. I hope Arctic Cat does not go to a 4 stroke for its "1000" class entry. Personally, I would like to see the M1000 stick around and the M8's to stay in the 150's. Rant over.

It's no secret what we are riding this year..... M7's.

Next year it will be M8's......again.

We have a lot of time on the M1000. Fixing them, towing them and riding them. I can also tell you from memory what every "wrench" code is.

So when they drop the M1000 for 2011, you can send me some hatemail.

S

Sparx

Dec 23, 2007
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Never had to tow my M1000 home in over 1500 miles so far in three seasons. Still on the stock 4 post primary with no cracks, my belts last over 500 miles since the venting even with abuse on hard pulls back to back. Only wrench I got was from hand and thumb warmers grounding out from lefty kit and the wiring breaking. Never has it left me on the hill even after squeaking the motor on a couple pulls back to back at 350 miles(my fault). Even then, I ran it for 1000miles after that without knowing the damage till I had the injectors stick on me, and it still got me home fine through 2-3 ft of snow in places. Maybe I'm just really lucky, but I know a friend that had one and put over 1500 miles himself in one year alone without so much of a hickup with a y-pipe and can as well. I've spent more time towing ZX and XP chassis ski-doo's home than cats....

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
I don't care what you all say... It's still a pig.

The 1000 motor is great for running trails or lakes but in the woods the M 8 walks all over it. And now with the new motor it just doesn't make any sense. Notice how nothing was done to the M1000 for 2010.... why is that???? Because it's on the way out.

If you just pound the hill all day long then you've got me there...but don't you get bored with that?
....i've had a m-1000 for each of the three years, if you haven't ridden the 09, you're out of date...i've also had the m-8....the new 1000 with powderclaw, speedwerx y-pipe and can is easily the best of the bunch....in the trees, in the steep and deep, doesn't matter...set-up is very important, however, to take advantage of the torque with good clutching...i ride with 800s' of all brands, at virtually no time do i see an advantage with the 8's......

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
I'm not the only one.....
...true, you're not the only one that can't figure it out......sled enthusiasts with a little knowledge and minimal $ can make the 1000 perform well....if you don't have the knowledge or the gumption, stick to the small stuff....i hear the 600s' are even lighter and less capable, i'm sure you'll find a match....

F
Jan 23, 2002
on another site
...true, you're not the only one that can't figure it out......sled enthusiasts with a little knowledge and minimal $ can make the 1000 perform well....if you don't have the knowledge or the gumption, stick to the small stuff....i hear the 600s' are even lighter and less capable, i'm sure you'll find a match....

Point missed... It's not figuring it out. It's that you shouldn't have to figure it out.

W
Feb 24, 2008
Back to original subject

Dealer told me 160hp M8 due to y-pipe & diff pipe configuration.No updates to 1000 just 2500 in rebates to get rid of them.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
Point missed... It's not figuring it out. It's that you shouldn't have to figure it out.
....yet you talk about a t-apex, anything to figure out there?.....i have yet to get a sled of any manufacture that i didn't have to figure out the clutching....almost all of them had to have fuel delivery tweaked in one way or another....suspension component/geometry changes?, been there too.....most sleds are a starting place, not an end game....unless you're someone that just doesn't want to be concerned with it, but most people on this forum are at least enthusiastic enough to be curious about what might make their ride better.....i've had my m-8 totally ported, milled, piped, lightened, suspension changed etc., and it wouldn't run with any of my 1000s, drag race, hill climb or anything in between.....but with only one 1000 being offered next year, the 1000 does look doomed.....emissions? sales? don't know.....it's too bad that cat didn't immediately fix the original problems of fuel delivery, clutching, and suspension of the 1000, i'm sure they would have sold a lot more....the 09 is the sled the 07 should have been, i just hope it's not too late....i sure don't want to have to horse around a turbo-4-stroke as a replacement for a mountain muscle sled.....the 1000 with minimal mods is an awesome sled.....

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Fordman, you live in Wa, that says it all for me. Great place, but you probably ride on average 5000 feet lower than us & have much stiffer snow. Why do you bother with the t-apex then? What a waste, they should get rid of those things. I'd rather ride my 550 fan.

Saying that a sled isn't worth keeping around is a stupid statement.

I would NEVER ride another M8, even modded all the way they're not what would do it for me around here, without a turbo it's a useless sled, they should discontinue it.

Premium Features