• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Seondary spring alternative.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Are there any updates on this topic?

Is anyone still using the Skidoo secondary spring in their sled?

If so, did you find it better to leave the shift assist in or out of the clutch?

Did you find it best to leave the two black plastic spacer washers on the helix, or not?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I'm still using the Skidoo QRS spring in the stock cat secondary with the stock 36 degree helix cut down with a 2 1/8" holes saw. With MDS weights in the primary and a Speedwerx H5 primary spring. All I can say is, my sled has never run better. Usually I get home and try new clutching recipes after each ride but, I haven't felt compelled to change anything for quite a while. One thing that really seemed to wake up my 09 M8 was going to 1.507" clutch offset. My clutches are cleaner, they run cooler and my belt is no longer wanting to pull cords like it did before. Whatever it is, my sled seems to love this combination.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I'm still using the Skidoo QRS spring in the stock cat secondary with the stock 36 degree helix cut down with a 2 1/8" holes saw. With MDS weights in the primary and a Speedwerx H5 primary spring. All I can say is, my sled has never run better. Usually I get home and try new clutching recipes after each ride but, I haven't felt compelled to change anything for quite a while. One thing that really seemed to wake up my 09 M8 was going to 1.507" clutch offset. My clutches are cleaner, they run cooler and my belt is no longer wanting to pull cords like it did before. Whatever it is, my sled seems to love this combination.

Are you running any black washers or a shift assist with this set up? I am wanting to try some mds weights but steve says my torqional cutler setup doesnt work well with his weights.. So i need to find a helix cap and get a spring that works with his weights on my TM1000. Why do you suppose cat made all of their secondary springs wound the wrong making them coil bind?

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I went with the open helix so I can make adjustments. I removed the two black washers, I did not like how the Doo spring sat on them as they are a bit different diameter.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Polairsrocks, I don't have the two plastic washers installed but, I did leave in the shift assist. I may be able to eak a tiny bit more performance out of this setup but, it works so damn good I am hesitant to touch anything. I am the most pleased I have ever been with my sled!

I know I HAD to cut down the hub of helix to fit the spring over it and the spring is so long that it maxed out the reach of my spring compressor but, it sure seems to work!

Premium Features