• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It happened to me...

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Didn't really want to post this, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but if it could help someone in the future I thought it might be important.

Was riding with a couple of buddies in cook city this weekend. At the top of one of my climbs, I hit a rock that threw me off my sled. I hit the ground face up, with my head facing downhill, minimal impact, thinking I had landed in my trench. I could move my leg, but what I thought was a small sluff of snow covered me and I couldn't breath very good and could barely move my arms. I was calm, and started trying to scoop with my hands, fingers, anything. Quickly, I couldn't move my arms at all. At this point I remembered thinking to relax and take shallow breaths. I was thinking a slide must have come from above and buried me. Then I started dreaming...can't remember the dream, but it was cheerful, lol...next thing was my buddies yelling at me and I slowly came to. Took me about 45 minutes before I could stand on my own. I rode into Cooke, got some oxygen from the awesome lady in town, (Kay or Kathy, Bills wife. I was disoriented, so feel bad for not remembering her name). Took me till about noon the next day to feel 'centered' again. I've been knocked out several times before, but this was far different!!

Okay, this is what happened and what I learned from it all.
When I got thrown from my sled, I landed beside a rock that was below the one I hit. This was springish, hero snow. Well, there was a soft spot beside the Rock and I shot down in a hole. My friends got up there, my sled was there, I was the only tracks, and I was nowhere to be found. They found my by checking around my sled and a part of my boot exposed. *They admittedly didn't even think to beacon for me because there was no slide. They said my feet were almost 6' below the surface, and as I said, my head was downhill from there. It took two pretty big boys to yard me out of there, and in the process of them yanking on me in when I started breathing again. They figured it was 10-12 min. Before they got to me and got me out. It was a hard spot for them to even get to for one.

*that day, my friends were both on t3 ski-doos. I was trading high marks with the one guy all morning, but the other guy had a turbo, and was getting up and over climbs that we wer fighting to get halfway up. *I can't help but to wonder what if roles were reversed and it was the turbo guy that was at the top of his climb when this happened. I can't imagine how long it would have taken us to get up to where he was going...so if you ride a turbo, you should not be the only one with a turbo, freak things like this happen, and you want your buddies to be able to reach you!! Also, I feel my biggest mistake was making that climb in flat light. I had a plan to stick it, but I caught a windlip that shot me around totally unexpectedly. Had I saw that, I'm pretty confident I could have rode it out differently.

Last, I'm just thankful to be writing this, and am extremely thankful for buddies that got to me and helped me be here right now. There were things that we could have done differently, but in the end, all is well. I'm simply writing this so others can remember, it doesn't have t be a slide!! Freak things happen with what we do, and all we can do is make sure to ride with buddies you trust with your lives, and always keep an eye oneachother!!

Last edited by a moderator:
D
Mar 19, 2015
U.P. of MI
Wow. Glad you're alright.

I have to say though, that when I saw your thread title, I couldnt help but think you might be in a Lady Gaga song. . . Sledding w/ your buddies turned into a
rape-fest or something.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Glad you are ok!

I had an experience with a hole like that in Cooke as well. Luckily I wasn't buried in it. Went up to do a re-entry on a small south facing slope and the snow from the previous storm gave out directly under me. Not like a slide, just fell away into a crevice. The sun had been beating on that rock face hard enough before that there was a gap melted between it and the snowpack at the base and it was big enough to completely swallow a sled.

Luckily I was pulling back already when everything let loose so I landed on the hard stable snow, but my sled went down in the hole tail first and hung by the handlebars on my shins just above my ankles. Talk about hurt! I was pinned and couldn't even get the snow dug out under my legs to get out. Several friends had to stand on the edge and lift the sled up so I could get out. Then we got the sled wedged so it didn't fall all the way in and had to dig it out. Luckily I'm a pretty large guy or it might have broke a leg and pulled me in there with it. Had I not been pulling back on the sled I probably would have just eneded up in the hole with the sled, wedged with the bars in my chest.

tjcatman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Greenville Ca.
Rocks

So glad you are ok and are able to pass this information on to others. My take on this is limit my hill climbing in flat light as well as try to stay away from rocks, especially in spring snow conditions. Thanks

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
You make an excellent point about others maybe not having the right sled (equipment) to reach you. Bills wife is Kay I believe. She really helped us out one time when one of our riders had an injury.Thanks for the post.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
somewhat similar. I was in a group that kind of split for a moment in several different little coves on a very deep fresh day. it was my first ride that year and first time on a different chassis. I did a quick powder turn but the track caught and the momentum lawn darted me about five feet away. I was totally under the snow, upside down, no air. I could move just enough to breathe a bunch of snow and work my way out. not nearly as severe but frightening none the less

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
First and foremost, glad to hear you are okay!!!!!

I do have one question as I'm trying to wrap my mind around this as I read your post,

Okay, this is what happened and what I learned from it all.
When I got thrown from my sled, I landed beside a rock that was below the one I hit. This was springish, hero snow. Well, there was a soft spot beside the Rock and I shot down in a hole. My friends got up there, my sled was there, I was the only tracks, and I was nowhere to be found. They found my by checking around my sled and a part of my boot exposed. *They admittedly didn't even think to beacon for me because there was no slide. They said my feet were almost 6' below the surface, and as I said, my head was downhill from there. It took two pretty big boys to yard me out of there, and in the process of them yanking on me in when I started breathing again. They figured it was 10-12 min. Before they got to me and got me out. It was a hard spot for them to even get to for one.

You said your boot was exposed but then you mention that your feet were 6 feet down???? Did you lose a boot????

Again, glad to hear your okay!!

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
...as I understand it, he was wading around in the snow and his boot must have hit mine because he said he looked down and saw a little piece of black...going by what I was told, I was out.

Couple of other things...
HELMET!! I'm sure not many people ride without one, but mine has some nice scratches on one side from the rock I was against.

Tether!! My bad...sled has one too, just had it disconnected from diagnosis earlier in the year. My sled sat there and ran till they got to me. If it had landed differently...?? My tether WILL be hooked back up and working before my next ride.

And for what it's worth, i can't believe how fast things got bad! I can't imagine getting buried by an avalanche! I just had heavy snow sluff over me, and I was paralyzed. I could move my arms a little at first, then, nothing...I could breath at first, but really quickly after I told myself to take shallow breaths, I went to sleep. There's NO WAY I would have survived without someone there to help me out.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Good lesson to keep an eye on each other too. This last weekend we were out on the spring snow. We came out of the trees into a familiar hillclimb opening. Three out of five shoot up the hill, I wait and watch at the bottom. I see my buddy hit a big covered rock at speed going uphill. I am sure it was superman on the bars for a minute there... The sled doesn't continue up the hill so I figure it is probably going to come down.

My buddy is on the snow, dislocated shoulder... It took 5-10 minutes for anybody else to show up. It might have been longer had I not been parked in the middle of the hill too.

Had he been in a tree well or rock hole like you, those minutes are precious. You are VERY lucky, and have riding buddies you can trust. Thank God they came looking, and not 30 minutes later.

Stick together and pay attention. It can save a life out there.

Premium Features