• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

165 or 154?

165 or 154?

• Total voters

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have ridden my 154 and 165 each a full day in deep snow and I would say the 154 is more fun to ride. It's a touch more challenging climbing in deep untracked terrain but I amazed what these sleds will do. I have ridden 163 Axys one with the 2.6 and one with the 3 side by side and I don't think either hold a candle to even the 154 850. The sleds ride different but but any highly skilled rider is fooling themselves if they think a stock Axys is comparable to an 850. I would say if you are a take it easy rider that dreads getting stuck the 165 is the way to go. If you like to play and throw a sled around then can't go wrong with a 154. The 154 will go anywhere a 165 goes with skill. Ski Doo hit the ball out of the park.

B
Apr 20, 2016
edmonton
I have ridden my 154 and 165 each a full day in deep snow and I would say the 154 is more fun to ride. It's a touch more challenging climbing in deep untracked terrain but I amazed what these sleds will do. I have ridden 163 Axys one with the 2.6 and one with the 3 side by side and I don't think either hold a candle to even the 154 850. The sleds ride different but but any highly skilled rider is fooling themselves if they think a stock Axys is comparable to an 850. I would say if you are a take it easy rider that dreads getting stuck the 165 is the way to go. If you like to play and throw a sled around then can't go wrong with a 154. The 154 will go anywhere a 165 goes with skill. Ski Doo hit the ball out of the park.

I glad to hear this because I m new to moutain sledding and went with a 154...don t want to go where I shouldn t at this stage with my experience level I think this will keep me in check some what... for now at least lol.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I glad to hear this because I m new to moutain sledding and went with a 154...don t want to go where I shouldn t at this stage with my experience level I think this will keep me in check some what... for now at least lol.

Not a chance this thing is capable enough to get you into heaps of trouble. These new sleds are capable to put you places where a few years ago only full mod turbo sled could go. So if you are looking to not get into trouble -- don't look for help from the sled. But then again if your Hart beat does not spike up to 180+ beats per minute every so often you have not tried hard enough. Those precious seconds where you stop after a wicked line with your Hart racing and your hands a bit shaky make it all with while:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA

...Chadly, what do you weigh?

Ace

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I currently have a 154xm 154". And am very interested in snow checking a new 850 this spring. My sled runs great and every time I go out it seems to do something that blows me away.
Part of me wants to try 165" and the other part says keep it nimble and get another 154". I weigh around 210lbs fully geared up. Most of the time I get stuck its poor rider input. But going UP around a tree in deeper snow on a side hill where the STUCK happens the most. I'm sure the 165 would pull this move more often, but so might the 850 154".
A 850 160" track seems perfect. The things I worry about @ 630am. More coffee!
Let the riding stories continue please.

klim-in

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2009
Idaho
Well sounds like riders with skill 154 is the way to go.
I have a buddy who rents out skidoo and has a 154 and 165.

Might just have to try them out and post my experience.

Cheers.

Or I just might rent his Yamaha Sidewinder MTX 162 Turbo and see how much trouble I can get myself into.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Blown away

I rode w my buddy and his 154" while on my 165" I can tractor any where and finesse around but I could not believe the places his 154" went. We got into untouched steep stuff all day and while I didn't have to be full throttle constantly( even though a lot) he kept it pinned and it made it just fine. Honestly I think both have their place. I'd like to have both on my sled deck. Probably run my k mod and a bore or boost on 165"(sp) for the ultra deep and keep the 154" 4 year warranty (x model) w can clutching and suspension. Great sled for air miles too can really whip the shorter 850 around.very impressed. The 154" way surpassed my expectations and every one else's

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Got 2 154s here and could not be happier, never mind me my better halfe just stepped here riding up by several notches just going from the XM to a 154 850, that is way more impressive to watch than what the sled does for me.
She goes places now that she would never have tried on the XM and pulls out of stuff where she for sure would have stuck the XM. That is almost more fun than riding myself.

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
Ski-Doo: REV Gen 4

My wife did not get the upgrade to the gen 4 from pro-climb M6000 because she is intimidated by the extra power and weight. If Doo comes out with a gen 4 600/650 I will buy it.
My 850 is amazing. I have 750 mi. original belt and oil consumption is leveling off. Great performance and Great fuel economy for a sled that will pull your Arms out of the sockets. I bought the 154 and I am glad I did

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
My wife did not get the upgrade to the gen 4 from pro-climb M6000 because she is intimidated by the extra power and weight. If Doo comes out with a gen 4 600/650 I will buy it.
My 850 is amazing. I have 750 mi. original belt and oil consumption is leveling off. Great performance and Great fuel economy for a sled that will pull your Arms out of the sockets. I bought the 154 and I am glad I did

I hear what you are saying , because thats what she said until she rode my 850 . She rarely uses full power, but she will when she needs it. Power is easy to get used to so is the 850 handling.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Any new insight on the 165 vs 154 comparisons? For those of you who have one or both sleds...
It sounds like the 154" track can hold its own in the steeper and deeper terrain. While the 165" can pull just about anything, but may take some of the trill outta "I almost got stuck up there" kinda riding experiences.
thanks

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Was riding with my other buddy Chris 165 (the other Chris has a 154 like mine even down to the 2.5 track)
The 165 is a tractor just kept pulling the 154 by 2.5 just dances , feels like way more power and track speed . Interesting enough in the conditions we were in (Heavy Coastal pow about 2 feet) there was little difference in where we could go, the 154 just requires more commitment and you have to dance. I know guys will say; just imagine if you work the 165 that way :face-icon-small-con Yes and No the 165 just does not have the fast moves of the 154 you can just be a bit more lazy don't have to move as fast because neither does the sled. At the end we both always made the same places and hat a great time pushing each other to do so. So whats your riding style -- pick the sled that suits you.
The 3.5 pitch track seems to be the real deal I am blown away what this thing can do with a 2.5 paddle VS 3" again very little difference in where it will go but more track speed an more flickable even in the same track length.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have been able to ride both a 154" X 3" and 165" X 3". Snow conditions were great for riding but not a super deep test of the two sleds. Both handle as easily as far as effort required. The 154" felt like it would spin around in a tighter circle and lift the skis easier. I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either sled. If you are light and light to ride with the skis more in the air the 154" is the way to go. If you are a bigger guy and or likes to go a little slower and tractor around instead of WOT the 165" is your ride. Watching my dad ride his 165" it really made him go anywhere he wants in control and with easy handling. I would buy the 154" but we don't ride in bottomless powder a lot and I love the shorter tracks.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Honestly the only time the 165 will be the best or needed sled is the super bottomless days of 4 foot fresh and maybe climbing out of super steep terrain w deeper conditions. 90% of the time I feel like the 154" will get it done. I own the 165 and I really am loving it but I'm gunna pick up a 2018 154 which I will prob spend most of my time on unless it's like I said super deep powder days.

Premium Features