• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

convert wedge into rider forward position

S
Jul 8, 2015
Hello, I would love to make a wedge mountain mod but I like to do a lot of research before jumping into things, I currently own a polaris iq chassis sled and I absolutely love the rider forward, it makes me feel like I am on top of the snowmobile, not behind it, is there any semi easy way to convert these wedge sleds to rider forward position? I know that you would have to move the steering post forward, how hard would it be to do that? and would there be anything else I would have to do other than get a different rear suspension that lifts the back end off the ground?
Thanks in advance :)

O

olymon

Depends on if it's a twin or triple. With a twin you might be able to move the seeing post further between the carbs. Mod the air box, hood and the lower and top steering post mount positions. It won't take much really, just time and tinkering. While you are at it cut the steering post and slip a rod in it, weld it and extend out that stock post. I did 4" on mine and a riser on top of that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i think youd have to get creative and move the footwells forward to really get the effect.
you can do little stuff to make it feel like not such a boat in front of you. ever take the nose cone off and stand on sled? "feels" like youre over front more just by eliminating a foot of front end. id like to make a snub nose with a much tighter fitting bumper.
this was an easy mod http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394721

carefull raising the rear end, you can ruin the ride.

S
Jul 8, 2015
Depends on if it's a twin or triple. With a twin you might be able to move the seeing post further between the carbs. Mod the air box, hood and the lower and top steering post mount positions. It won't take much really, just time and tinkering. While you are at it cut the steering post and slip a rod in it, weld it and extend out that stock post. I did 4" on mine and a riser on top of that.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I looked at a gen 2 sled steering shaft and could i just put a yoke pivot joint right behind the air box (assuming a wedge is very similar) so the steering shaft and handle bars are further forward and more vertical?, this link I have is for a car but would a smaller version of this work? " https://www.stockwiseauto.com/dorman-425-451-steering-shaft-universal-joint ".

S
Jul 8, 2015
i think youd have to get creative and move the footwells forward to really get the effect.
you can do little stuff to make it feel like not such a boat in front of you. ever take the nose cone off and stand on sled? "feels" like youre over front more just by eliminating a foot of front end. id like to make a snub nose with a much tighter fitting bumper.
this was an easy mod http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394721

carefull raising the rear end, you can ruin the ride.

Sounds like a good idea but the only problem i see is that the skis will still be way out in front of you so you still wont be able to handle the sled as well as a rider forward sled can.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Sounds like a good idea but the only problem i see is that the skis will still be way out in front of you so you still wont be able to handle the sled as well as a rider forward sled can.

cut the trailing arms.
or get more creative.

O

olymon

You would have to find a good way to secure the post from wanting to move up and down with a joint in it. those post really relied on the bottom joint to be the structural part of the post. The top steering tab is flimsy. If you are cutting the post to put a joint in, you could sandwich the upper tab between two thick washers welded to the shaft to limit the up and down movement. I swapped out a steering post on a gen 2 to a straight one because I was swapping in triple instead of the twin that came in the sled.

I don't think you could easily shorten up the trailing arms, but modding the belly pan looks like a great way to get your foot a little more forward.

M
Mar 10, 2014

Here is my 1997 with a bar riser and bars with less sweep as well as some extra seat padding and a homemade "seat wedge". Made all the difference in comfort!

Premium Features