• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power to Weight Ratio: Four Stoke vs. Two Stroke

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
O well that's too bad all you can do is bash them. Maybe try over at the ski-dont side and you'll get more support.

No I call a spade a spade...I have owned some excelent Yamahas that I wish I would have never gotten rid of. If/when my Skidoo gernades I will be the first one to let Yammi guys know. I bought into the Yammis running 20000 miles as a selling point. Check the classifieds and see how many sleds with less than 2500 miles there are, nobody puts big miles on a mountain sled.

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
No I call a spade a spade...I have owned some excelent Yamahas that I wish I would have never gotten rid of. If/when my Skidoo gernades I will be the first one to let Yammi guys know. I bought into the Yammis running 20000 miles as a selling point. Check the classifieds and see how many sleds with less than 2500 miles there are, nobody puts big miles on a mountain sled.
That's cool man bring your ski-doo out to the hills and see if you can run with are nytros!!!!! Had to do this last year for a couple guys it was a lot of fun!!

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Dont know that I have ever seen a Nytro in the BH. I know Spearfish Canyon used to rent phasers ...lol

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yep here we go Christopher, have you sold your Nytro yet?

Nope, had offers, but none of them qualified for for financing.
People want it, just don't have available cash.
If it wasn't for the new Viper project, I wouldn't sell it.
Sled is Damn Nice and runs great.
Heck, I might just keep it as my primary backup sled for the other 4 Yamahas I have. its always good to have a rock solid spare.

Why do you ask?

You are the last Troll in this forum that could care if I sold a sled or not.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Where is the 610 weight coming from? I thought Yamaha and snowest weighed a 153 Viper MPI turbo this spring at it was 641 lbs ?
That was wet with snow.
We have one sled that was weighed with half a tank of fuel.
I simply took his actual weight and added the additional fuel weight to it.

Its just an approximate number to work with.
Hard numbers will probably start showing up later this week as more and more guys get their MTXs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
What's also missing here is a graph with detailed analysis of how much energy is required to ride a sled. And that, right there, has been the difference for most riders to this point. No one wants to be stuck with the fat girl at the dance. Even if her output is higher...

I disagree.
There are a whole lotta guys riding heavily boosted Yamahas that LOVE to dance the dance with them as no other sled on the market is capable of doing what they do.

As for energy to ride.
I agree.
It takes MORE skill and MORE physical stamina to ride a 4S aggressively in the mountains.

Not a good sled for guys who are out of shape or sloppy in their technique. Boosted 4S sleds demand more from their riders, but in return, they bring more to the dance as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
About time to go pick fights with your younger sister? Take your crap somewhere else.
Thats not how Trolls work.
They crave the attention they get from the attacks they launch..

Trolls LIVE to stir the pot and throw grenades trying to get a rise out of people.

Net+Troll+Award+Online+Internet+Forum.jpg

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
They HAVE TO make these kits available dirt cheap.........other wise nobody in their right mind would buy an MTX.

Gavin Balls seemed to do okay with a naturally aspirated Viper at Jackson Hole last March.

Boost is better I agree, but NA can do pretty well with the right rider.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK

Sorry to hear that you don't like to ride Yamaha four strokes. I do. That's why I'm in the Yamaha section and not the Polaris, Ski-doo or Polaris section.

I visit the other brand sections on occasion, but don't pipe in and tell them what's wrong with their sleds, why I wouldn't ride the sled that they ride and why they should ride one like mine. If they're happy with their sleds, who am I to tell them that they shouldn't be?

I went over 6K on mine last season. I bought it with 1700 miles on it, so I can only account for a little over 4000 miles of that. I bought it from a guy in Glennallen (about halfway between Anchorage and Fairbanks) and he said that he rode it at Arctic Man and Summit Lake, so I know that he put some mountain miles on it as well. Since we only have about eight miles of trails here, most of the miles are mountain miles. Provided I don't wreck it too badly, I hope to put another 6000 or more mountain miles on it. I'm not opposed to buying another sled, but I can't seem to justify it when this one runs so well.

I'm not sure who doesn't put big miles on mountain sleds. My guess it's guys that don't ride much.

T
Oct 14, 2014
Go back and read what I said.
A boosted 2S wins hands down!
I thought I was VERY CLEAR on that.

My point was that the overwhelming majority if 2S mountain riders do NOT use a turbo, while it is just the opposite for 4S mountain riders. The majority of them DO use a boosted sled.

Out if 1,000 Pro RMKs on the mountain, would even 10% of them be Turboed?

Out if 1,000 Vipers on the mountain, would even 25% of them be non-Turboed??

However, there are probably 50 times as many 2s sleds on the snow as 4s, especially in the mountain segment. Soooo, there are way more turbo 2s sleds out there than turbo 4s sleds.

The fact that you must turbo a 4s to be competitive is the whole problem. To address the concern over the $2500 turbo kit... Anone can go out today, buy a new '14 Pro for under $10k and, fit a $5000 turbo kit. That brings your OTD price to around $15k, the same as it will take to procure a 180hp Viper correct?

So the cost is the same but the 4s is 100 lbs heavier and 60hp down STILL.

Bring on some more qualifiers... the justifications are hilarious!

Mostly I hope somebody around here buys one, I would love to see how it does. We already have a snowbike victim lined up who thinks his bike is going to shame the sleds. Can't wait for that, and I would like to add a T4s and see how it does in the technical trees too. I just do not see any evidence that he 4s has arrived. Getting close, they just need to keep on the weightloss program. The extra 100lbs is still just way to much regardless of power to wieght. It hurts every aspect of riding from stucks, to manuverability.

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
"Back county in the BHills"......gotcha, every mile and half you ride you come across a groomed trail, fire trail, cabin, or a fence. hard core

Ok man whatever you must not know where to ride apparently. But you would know because you live here right!!??? Got to love the East river know it all's!!!!! Please stop responding your giving SD a bad name!

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Ok man whatever you must not know where to ride apparently. But you would know because you live here right!!??? Got to love the East river know it all's!!!!! Please stop responding your giving SD a bad name!

Funny...I have rode there for as long as you have been alive. Fun place to ride when there is enough snow to cover the stumps, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "back country riding."

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
However, there are probably 50 times as many 2s sleds on the snow as 4s, especially in the mountain segment. Soooo, there are way more turbo 2s sleds out there than turbo 4s sleds.

The fact that you must turbo a 4s to be competitive is the whole problem. To address the concern over the $2500 turbo kit... Anone can go out today, buy a new '14 Pro for under $10k and, fit a $5000 turbo kit. That brings your OTD price to around $15k, the same as it will take to procure a 180hp Viper correct?

So the cost is the same but the 4s is 100 lbs heavier and 60hp down STILL.

Bring on some more qualifiers... the justifications are hilarious!

Mostly I hope somebody around here buys one, I would love to see how it does. We already have a snowbike victim lined up who thinks his bike is going to shame the sleds. Can't wait for that, and I would like to add a T4s and see how it does in the technical trees too. I just do not see any evidence that he 4s has arrived. Getting close, they just need to keep on the weightloss program. The extra 100lbs is still just way to much regardless of power to wieght. It hurts every aspect of riding from stucks, to manuverability.

You really need to get your facts straight before you go piping off all the time. 5000 for a turbo kit is on the cheap side for a 2s turbo kit. You then have to pay install. Vipers will be available with turbo for less than 14K. Your precious Pro will not be 100 lbs lighter by the time that you add a turbo kit to it. You will not have 60 hp more than the Viper unless you are running a race gas turbo. And if the person riding that snowbike knows how to ride there are a lot of circumstances where that snowbike will out do your sled. And with a good rider I am sure there will be a Viper that is able to make you look silly.

willinwillys

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2011
Spearfish,SD
Funny...I have rode there for as long as you have been alive. Fun place to ride when there is enough snow to cover the stumps, but I wouldn't go so far to call it "back country riding."

You might have rode the trails for as long as I've been alive that's cool. You must not have rode last year there was a 4 foot plus all year

Premium Features