• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Apex VS Viper

Snoboner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle Point, OR
For those of you that have actual experience, Which do you prefer? The Apex with the 4 cyl or the viper with the Nytro motor. Apples to apples. Performance, ride quality, chassis, handling etc. I loved my Apex and struggled with the feel of the Nytro. Just couldn't deal with it after I built it so I sold it and stayed with the Apex. I'm leaning towards a new Viper. There are no dealers within 400 miles of where I live so a test ride has been out of the question. So, opinions please....

L

lcc

Apr 25, 2008
I Loved my Apex, But I will take the Viper, I've put a lot of miles on the Viper and each time I look forward to riding it, handles very good, boondocks better and just feels very light and maneuverable. Buy A viper and boost it, you will have the best winter yet

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
For those of you that have actual experience, Which do you prefer? The Apex with the 4 cyl or the viper with the Nytro motor. Apples to apples. Performance, ride quality, chassis, handling etc. I loved my Apex and struggled with the feel of the Nytro. Just couldn't deal with it after I built it so I sold it and stayed with the Apex. I'm leaning towards a new Viper. There are no dealers within 400 miles of where I live so a test ride has been out of the question. So, opinions please....

Ride a 2014 M8, almost exactly the same handling and ride as a MTX Viper. In fact I sold my 2014 M8 and bought a 2014 Viper to convert to an MTX. Last year I converted a Viper to an MTX for the girlfriend and liked it so much I had to have one.

If I had to ride a Nytro in the trees (as we did a few years ago) I would stay home. :)

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States

Boosted or not boosted the Viper is much easier to ride than a boosted or un boosted Apex. Is it as easy to ride as an RMK or M8 ? NO, only a fool would think that.

If there were only 2 sleds on the planet to choose from a Viper or Apex the Viper will be the choice Everytime.

DPG

M
Jan 14, 2004
For what its worth you could buy 3 done up Apexes these days for the price of a Viper. The 4 bangers sound alone out of a tunnel dump is enough to sway me in that direction.

M5

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
For what its worth you could buy 3 done up Apexes these days for the price of a Viper. The 4 bangers sound alone out of a tunnel dump is enough to sway me in that direction.

M5

Quite correct depending on area you ride. If I rode the trails and groomed roads I would have one now. In fact we just sold our guest seld a RX1 Mountain a couple weeks ago. But if we are talking tree riding or deep powder the Apex isn't even in the running.

So once again, it depends how and where you ride.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
But if we are talking tree riding or deep powder the Apex isn't even in the running.

So once again, it depends how and where you ride.

Funny stuff.....The Apex unlike the RX1 even though both sleds are heavy the Apex setup correctly does pretty good in the trees & deep snow. Add a turbo or sc and the Apex becomes a real game changer especially in the steep.

Guest Sled RX1 LoL

DPG

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I would agree. The apex takes more energy to toss around but I've seen them do it all. Chutes, trees, bottomless fluff. If you can ride and have a little more muscle, they will take you there and bring you back.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Better Mountain Specific Chassis = Better Off Trail Performance = Viper MTX.

When you upgraded the Apex to a better mountain skid the Apex became alot better performer off trail as well.

Years ago before 4strokes became available and all we rode were 2Strokes all we would do is complain about weight, suspension, clutching & more horse power. Years later the 2S builders delivered in a Huge Way.

Yamaha has made similar huge leap from the debut of the RX1 to the Viper in half the time addressing the same issues the 2S guys complained about for years and took 2 decades for the OEM's to deliver.

So kudos to Yamaha for delivering in less than 1/2 the time. Cat gets Kudo's as well...You would think Doo & Poo would be a players in the mountain 4S segment maybe there just waiting and watching while Yamaha & Cat do the heavy lifting.

DPG

Last edited:

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
If you didnt like the nytro the viper will also probably not "feel" right ether. I prefer the nytro and haveyet to find a set up viper that felt way better than what I am used to riding. Good sled just not as big a difference between a apex/nytro vs. a nytro/viper.

Just my opinion.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
If you didnt like the nytro the viper will also probably not "feel" right ether. I prefer the nytro and haveyet to find a set up viper that felt way better than what I am used to riding. Good sled just not as big a difference between a apex/nytro vs. a nytro/viper.

Just my opinion.

You do know we are talking about the 2014 up Viper right?

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post

Just my opinion.

You do know we are talking about the 2014 up Viper right?

Ya know Stingray, a lot of people get used to how their sled behaves and when you climb on a different setup, it doesn't feel right. I've had this happen to me many times. I'm sure with a little more seat time it would feel better, but when you're used to your sled, others don't feel right and you can't predict how it will respond as easily as the one you ride all the time.

This could well be what Tuesday was experiencing. When I read his post, that's what I assumed. He's used to his Nytro and the Viper doesn't feel right to him.

Premium Features