• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering locked up after summer

J
Dec 2, 2012
Hi...Not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I'll give it a shot. My wife has a 1997 Polaris Indy 340 and after sitting all summer, the steering is locked up tight. I greased the spindles in hopes of helping, but didnt.
Are there more grease zerks that I could try lubing?
Any advise?? Thanks
Jim

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm betting it is the lower steering shaft mount. I bought a used '92 for parts and the post was rock solid. The guy tried turning it with a pipe wrench and couldn't get it to turn. Once I got it out, I cooked it with the torch, liquid wrench, more heat, clamped it in the vice with pipe wrenches and still couldn't get it to turn.

There is a zerk in there but it is just pressed into the aluminum extrusion mount. Anyway, the spare sled was stored at the coast so I doubt that helped. The picture is of mine where I was JB welding a nut back onto the extrusion so that I could thread a zerk in to keep it greased. It kind of worked, but not the best. I would look at taking the air box off and lubing that area with liquid wrench or something similar and trying to let it soak and free up, then seeing if you can grease it. Otherwise, it is going to be a bear to fix, no other way to sugar coat it. If it isn't that part, then it could be the front pivot, but that rides in brass bushings, where as the post is steel and likely was worn smooth and then rusted into place inside the aluminum.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I recommend: 1) unfasten the two steering shafts from the steering arms on top of the spindle and checking each ski (Have seen some with so much old dried up grease in them that they wouldn't turn). If that is not the problem then 2) unhook both steering arms and the shaft coming from steering column and see if the frog turns (I've had those seized up like was mentioned earlier). If that passed you test ten before you hook rod from the steering shaft back up, turn the handle bars to make sure they turn easily (Had one of those frozen up also).

J
Dec 2, 2012
I recommend: 1) unfasten the two steering shafts from the steering arms on top of the spindle and checking each ski (Have seen some with so much old dried up grease in them that they wouldn't turn). If that is not the problem then 2) unhook both steering arms and the shaft coming from steering column and see if the frog turns (I've had those seized up like was mentioned earlier). If that passed you test ten before you hook rod from the steering shaft back up, turn the handle bars to make sure they turn easily (Had one of those frozen up also).

Thanks for the reply...I've done #1 so far. Still locked up, so I'm on to step 2. I'll tell you how it comes out soon. Thanks

Premium Features