• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who cares about weight on paper!

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Once I changed the skid positioning and set up the properly for my riding style, the weight became a non issue. I am not tired by the end of the day and ride anything anywhere. Prior to setting it up I really felt the weight and would get good and stuck on occasion. Now I rock it as good or better than many of the 2 strokes I ride with. Certainly there are things I can do and places I can go that they cannot. One of the most fun sleds I have ever owned.....and there have been a few.

Careful on rockin the big girl in a stuck. It worked 90% of the time until it digs so deep it grabs a missile, cost me a cooler deep in the bush and sounded like I was being shot at!! But hey it pulls itself out just about everytime fwiw.

If I could've changed the skid anymore to get it to the point of what your saying I would be keeping mine! Just not wanting my sled to toss me when it should be the other way around.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Wyo, Remember you are in the 1100 forum. He didn't come into the 800 forum and say anything. Also i feel that with learning throttle control on the 1100 t you can stay into the throttle all the time to keep the front light. Throttle control is 100% different on a 4 stroke than a two.

we just need snow!

So your saying with a little throttle control you shave 100lbs, I don't care if its posted in the yami section the fact is you can feel the weight difference, your replying to can you overcome the difference and in almost all cases I can. I just choose otherwise, I'm simply stating to compare the weight of a 8 vs 11t as not there is horse chit, thats all.

But since you bring it up, where I ride there is no such thing as staying in the power all the time, I'm a technical rider where weight plays a much bigger factor along with instant throttle response the 4 doesn't have like and 8. I can still make the 4 work so don't get me wrong on that. Great sled but not the sled of choice that all.

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
Let me clarify:

I do feel a significant difference between my M8 and M1100 Turbo in a few situations. I feel its more attributable to the track, track length, 4s vs.2s power band, and different chasis. Am I more tired at the end of the day? Yes. Do I feel more tired while riding? No. So I don't care about that. In deep snow, I do not feel the additional weight at all unless I am stuck. In deep snow the sled floats better for me. Can't explain why but it does.

I failed to mention that a huge difference occurred when I put on a pair of SLP powder pros. The diving of the 1100 Turbo ceased which helped make it feel lighter to me.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I don't think its track length because a 153-162 11t doesn't feel much different to me, its different but not that much. the 11t is nose heavy!! Pro skis work well too.
A lot of my riding consist of dropping over hills where there is no way out the bottom and the only way to get out is to work the hill through the trees and or come back out the top somewhere along the line. The 11t is great for going back out the top (power) but working it up and down and around trees is a biotch compared to a 8. Both have there advantage but the lightweight wins for my style.
I think most of what you like is purely the power, turbos just rock deep snow and float, weather its a 8t or 11t the track spin factor is the kicker.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
These are photos of KJ doing some nice jumps on his Evo Powered M1100T.

The weight of the 4 stroke is definitely a tradeoff, but very few sleds can make this kind of power reliably day in and day out.

We will be back up at Rabbit Ears Pass sometime between Christmas and New Years for those looking to ride a "well set up 1100T" and our turbo M8. As we get closer, we will post the date.

IMG_8316_zpsee832346.jpg

Photo by Vera Janssen

KJ_evolution3_hires_zps963320a2.jpg

Photo by Vera Janssen

KJ_evolution1_hires_zpse5f42579.jpg

Photo by Vera Janssen

KJ_evolution4_hires_zps279d3f60.jpg

Photo by Vera Janssen

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
So your saying with a little throttle control you shave 100lbs, I don't care if its posted in the yami section the fact is you can feel the weight difference, your replying to can you overcome the difference and in almost all cases I can. I just choose otherwise, I'm simply stating to compare the weight of a 8 vs 11t as not there is horse chit, thats all.

But since you bring it up, where I ride there is no such thing as staying in the power all the time, I'm a technical rider where weight plays a much bigger factor along with instant throttle response the 4 doesn't have like and 8. I can still make the 4 work so don't get me wrong on that. Great sled but not the sled of choice that all.

Frankly, most people on this forum are not "technical" riders. Most people on this forum have no interest in sidehilling through trees.

the 1100T is just not the sled to do this with, period. If you are really into sidehilling through trees, lighter is better, period. Most people have little interest in dodging trees, in that case the 1100T is more likely to fit the riding style of realistic riders.

In all the years I have been out west (going on 24 years now), of the groups we run into, or the people we ride with, we see on very rare occasion, someone plying the trees. Most people are seeing the sights, making runs up hills, carving up a meadow, or sitting on their sled enjoying the scenery and having a bit of a sandwich.

For most western riders, the 1100T is a fantastic sled that makes the most of how and where they ride. Some people might not like the weight for whatever reason. Great!! buy something else......

Wyoboy, you seem to think that everybody wants to bang off trees in steep terrain. I would say that the VAST majority of riders in the mountains just dont share your interest.

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
I am with wyo.

And maybe your group doesn't or where you ride don't. But I do know that most of my group that I ride with plays in the trees. I for one do not go to the mountains to look at the scenery. I go to ride. Be it trees or climbing. But I know we are riding more trees than before and there are tons of people doing it.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
Clearly 4s owners of any brand are not making weight the most important criteria. No one buys one to intentionally ride trees 80% of the time. I would be willing to bet most 4s riders in general at most would be 65/35, maybe even 75/25. By nature the 4s guys are meadows, rolling hills, steep and deep, not heavily treed areas. Trees but not crazy thick you can't roll thru at 15-20 mph.

Very few buy a 4s and try to make it do something it can't, or they don't/can't want to work that hard to do it.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I like to

Jeff, I do like to try and avoid trees. Sometimes I can't.

Justboostit, I might take you up on that offer.

Owen, I just wrote tit, cool

B
Mar 8, 2011
AC seems to care about weight. They rode the Ski-Doo and Polaris, put some snow on it, weighed it and said look it is as heavy as ours. Now you have to translate the weight cause AC started publishing the weight in KG'S. :face-icon-small-con

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Clearly 4s owners of any brand are not making weight the most important criteria. No one buys one to intentionally ride trees 80% of the time. I would be willing to bet most 4s riders in general at most would be 65/35, maybe even 75/25. By nature the 4s guys are meadows, rolling hills, steep and deep, not heavily treed areas. Trees but not crazy thick you can't roll thru at 15-20 mph.

Very few buy a 4s and try to make it do something it can't, or they don't/can't want to work that hard to do it.

It must be different in different areas, but around here every 4s guy i know is a tree rider. Most everyone around here that isn't a beginner is into technical stuff... it's just what there is to ride, 2 or 4 stroke. The guys I know with boosted yammis go hammer techy stuff just like the rest of us, there's just a few things they struggle with and they're more beat than we are at the end of the day.

Here, you've got two choices... avalanches, or trees.:face-icon-small-win

I've had my share of both, I'll take more trees please :D

D

deadcat

Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock CO
+ sized sled

I can run over larger trees with my 1100t than I ever could with a 2 stroke.

If I was 5'6" and 150# I would still ride a 2 stroke. Unfortunately I have not been that size since 7th grade. So far I am satisfied with the sled.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
It must be different in different areas, but around here every 4s guy i know is a tree rider. Most everyone around here that isn't a beginner is into technical stuff... it's just what there is to ride, 2 or 4 stroke. The guys I know with boosted yammis go hammer techy stuff just like the rest of us, there's just a few things they struggle with and they're more beat than we are at the end of the day.

Here, you've got two choices... avalanches, or trees.:face-icon-small-win

I've had my share of both, I'll take more trees please :D

Where you ride definitely translates to what you buy. Up here you can go 2 mountain ranges over and see one brand stand out and 30 miles away have a different brand more popular. Can't really say its the dealer cause the closest ones are 150 miles away. You don't see lots of 4s in heavily treed riding areas and the climbing areas have less 2s. Makes sense to get a machine that suits your style and terrain you ride. Not riding technical heavily treed areas doesn't make you a novice either. Of course there are people that cant, but there are plenty of people that have the skill set to ride what they want and don't choose technical riding.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Frankly, most people on this forum are not "technical" riders. Most people on this forum have no interest in sidehilling through trees.

the 1100T is just not the sled to do this with, period. If you are really into sidehilling through trees, lighter is better, period. Most people have little interest in dodging trees, in that case the 1100T is more likely to fit the riding style of realistic riders.

In all the years I have been out west (going on 24 years now), of the groups we run into, or the people we ride with, we see on very rare occasion, someone plying the trees. Most people are seeing the sights, making runs up hills, carving up a meadow, or sitting on their sled enjoying the scenery and having a bit of a sandwich.

For most western riders, the 1100T is a fantastic sled that makes the most of how and where they ride. Some people might not like the weight for whatever reason. Great!! buy something else......

Wyoboy, you seem to think that everybody wants to bang off trees in steep terrain. I would say that the VAST majority of riders in the mountains just dont share your interest.

Maybe you should read all the posts, I said ride what ever you want its fine with me, if you like the 11T I think thats great. My post are directly against the thread title and the statement you can't tell the weight. way to douche it with a capital C

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Where you ride definitely translates to what you buy. Up here you can go 2 mountain ranges over and see one brand stand out and 30 miles away have a different brand more popular. Can't really say its the dealer cause the closest ones are 150 miles away. You don't see lots of 4s in heavily treed riding areas and the climbing areas have less 2s. Makes sense to get a machine that suits your style and terrain you ride. Not riding technical heavily treed areas doesn't make you a novice either. Of course there are people that cant, but there are plenty of people that have the skill set to ride what they want and don't choose technical riding.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say that the people who don't ride what we ride ARE low skill riders, but it's just what people ride, so once you're solid enough to sidehill... SOMEONE is gonna bring yer butt into the trees. Even a jumper like me, that would rather spend my days in the air, is going to spend 2/3 of every day in the trees.

To say that the "VAST MAJORITY" doesn't ride technical stuff though I can't even conceive. We ride all sorts of areas, and I find that statement to be woefully lacking, and could only be said from someone who doesn't live out here & simply doesn't see what other people are riding. If you're in the meadows, you're not seeing what & who are in the trees. Meadow mashing is fun & all... but it's a rather unskilled pastime that requires zero precision, most folks get past that level (as a whole day activity, of course we all love a big open field of POW!!) rather quickly. If you make 3 trips a year though, I could see not really noticing that of the 80 trucks in the lot, you only ran across 10 out in the meadows... the other 70 trucks worth of guys are in the trees!!:D

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I don't disagree with Jeff's statements for what he has seen personally. I'm often in awe when I go to a popular area and poke out of the trees to see the vast majority of the parking lot, sitting at the bottom of bowls and watching sled after sled make a run up a hill. I'll sit there in the Sun and watch too, while I eat my lunch. Then I'll make my own various shots up the hill and round up our group and go disappear again.

If I was making those trips out West I'd be going to the popular places, such as Boulder Mtn in Revy, but as a semi-local, we usually veer off onto Turtle or some other area. We hit Boulder mostly because we want to run into someone that we know will be riding there, or we are taking people that want to see the area. Even then, I point out a few of the 'spectacles' but move on rather quickly.

As far as weight goes, I can muscle a lot of different sleds to a lot of different areas...so it becomes more of a question of, "Do I want to" and not, "Can I" plain and simple, I can put my T-Vec most places I can put either of my 2s. More effort is required, and with that means I end up upside down in a treewell a few more times than I might on my 2s. But there's also the upside as well.

Even so, I usually ride in the trees to get to the top of a mountain, over and over again. There isn't one gulley we play in for hours on end. We are constantly moving. That usually means dropping into, and climbing out of multiple bowls/hills/gulleys a day.

We never sit on one hillside and traverse back and forth and back and forth. And that's the vibe I get from some people on here. I'd find that too boring. I don't see the argument people are having here, it's a personal decision to ride whatever they want, nobody should be defending their purchase, then again, nobody should be asking a bunch of keyboard jockeys what sled is right for them either. And we all know there's one or two of those threads around too. LOL

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Kinda tired of the 4S don't work in the trees posts. Any of you guys want to see some tree riding come out to Whistler and ride with Chris Brown. At a minimum you will need a well set up 2 stroke turbo, a big bowl of Wheaties and a third testicle. I don't think any mortal could stay near him for 15 minutes in the deep snow in the trees. If you can the next challenge is to ride your turbo or stock 2 stoke for 130 days a season with next to zero maintenance. You get up on the ice cap around Pemberton and a stock 2 stroke is less than exciting to ride. 3 feet of new snow all the way to the horizon is so much more fun on a turbo 4 stroke making better than 250HP. On a 2 stroke it's just full throttle until you think the engine is going to explode. Just because everyone can't handle a heavy sled in deep snow in the trees right now doesn't mean it won't be more common in the near future.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
^^^ Very well said^^^

I'm with Reeb on this one - the riding that we choose to do usually dictates our sled purchase, and riding in B.C., one truly has it all to choose from, on the same mountain. Most of the time the weather and avy conditions dictate where we ride. I ride a M1100T, and it is a great all around sled, especially with the EVO goodies it has on it. Sure, it would be nicer if it were 100 lbs less, but for ME personally, I can live with the weight, enjoy the torque of the 4S in the trees, and spool it up for the times I want to spook myself climbing something I maybe shouldn't be on...
Buy what you like, there are a lot of sleds out there to choose form. Find one that fits you, has good local dealer support, and just ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The thread started as who really cares about weight!
There is not one person that wouldn't love to have a 4 the same weight as a 2s.
All this other whining and back stabbing is pointless and typical forum bs

BTW, I never once said it can't be done, the most I said was rider preferences for there style. Which is a true neutral statement.

Premium Features