• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rough idle then stalls

R
Jan 3, 2013
i have an 05 fusion 900. runs fine, but wont idle so reverse is kinda out of the question.

changed fuel filter, ran seafoam through it, checked intake boots for leaks. no help. so i took it in to the dealer to see if they could adjust the TPS. just a guess on my part. they said the EGT senser was bad, so they replaced that. still wont idle. now they say that the fuel pressure is over 100psi when it should be 58. they "think" its the fuel pressure regulator. they are waiting to hear back from polaris bc they think that should of been replaced during the tank recall.

since the pressue is almost twice what it should be, im wondering if it could be a bad injector? the shop doesnt think so, but then again, they tried to sell me on the idea that the EGT was the reason for my problem and i wasnt buying it. there wasnt even a fault code for it. just one in the history on digital wrench.

any thoughts or ideas??

one more thing, the voltage for the TPS on digital wrench was something like .88x volts while running. sound about right?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
Get the fuel pressure taken care of first. I doubt it is related to an injector. The TPS measurement you quoted could be causing your issues. Spec is 0.93 +- 1 at idle.

When all this is done if the problem still isn't fixed, have look at the stator; particularly the wires inside the recoil housing behind the flywheel where they exit the recoil. You will want to pull the flywheel to check this. What happens is the inner ring on the flywheel separates, comes out and cuts the wires. I had very similar symptons as you and my problem was that the ring had cut the insulation on the wires. The fix was to use a good 2-part expoxy to secure the inner ring and to solder/heat shrink the damaged stator wires.

R
Jan 3, 2013
are you saying that the TPS being at .88 volts could cause the 100+ psi in the fuel rail? or are you saying to fix the pressure issue first. and then, that the TPS voltage could be causing the rough idle and stalling. meaning two different conditions..

if so, does the fuel pressure regulator seem a likely culprit for the increased fuel pressure?

S
Oct 3, 2008
Quebec, Canada
The TPS has absolutely nothing to do with the fuel pressure.

I'm saying that the fuel pressure is incorrect and certainly not helping things so fix it. I have no specific experience with this issue but I would say the name "fuel regulator" certainly seems like a good candidate to be causing incorrect fuel pressure. (Any chance you've got 06 parts as the 06 has higher fuel pressure?) Wrt the recall, I'm pretty sure the original regulator was reused vice changed).

I'm also saying that 0.88 TPS at idle is incorrect (and very likely causing your idle issues) so fix it.

When all known issues are fixed, let us know how things are going.

Last edited:
Premium Features