• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18" vs 20" wheels on 3/4 ton diesel

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
What are the advantages and disadvantages of 18" vs 20" wheels on a diesel pickup?

I am looking at a new truck and there are a ton of them on the lots with 20" wheels. I don't know if that is because no one wants them, or because the dealers like ordering them in.

skool me please -

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Ride will be softer with 18" wheels. Load capacity with 20" wheels is usually better. I was able to trade in my 20 stock wheels and buy tires and wheels for 18's for the same price as just the tires for the 20" wheels. So now that I am on my second set of tires since then it has saved me a few hundred dollars or so. To each his own on what you like but the 18" wheels will save you a ton on tires.

E
Oct 6, 2011
just what i was told

I got 20's on my pickup, and was told that the heaviest tires i could buy where 4 ply. dont know if its true or not but if so i think it sucks.

S
Dec 19, 2007
hey bud

yeah from what i found i have 20 and 18 on two two dodge diesels and found that the 20 inch rims if you get them load rated usually fill them to 55 psi which makes them not very pliable so they are hard on the front end specially dodges have there issues when it comes to that to begin with i think your best bet for ride and versatility 18 are were its at you can get 10 ply load range e and it wilol ride smoother as the tire has more rubber making it more forgiving to discrepencies in the road as no road is perfect as well as save your front end from being replaced twice a year

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
yeah from what i found i have 20 and 18 on two two dodge diesels and found that the 20 inch rims if you get them load rated usually fill them to 55 psi which makes them not very pliable so they are hard on the front end specially dodges have there issues when it comes to that to begin with i think your best bet for ride and versatility 18 are were its at you can get 10 ply load range e and it wilol ride smoother as the tire has more rubber making it more forgiving to discrepencies in the road as no road is perfect as well as save your front end from being replaced twice a year

I have a friend that works at a tire/repair shop in western colorado that said basically the same thing - he thinks more sidewall is better on the front end with the heavy motors.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
Bought 18" tires and rims a few years ago when 20" tires were a lot more. I now need new tires from my 18" rims and found that 20" tires (BFG A/T) are about $350 more. If you look at cheaper tires Nitto, Handcock, Cooper, etc they are about $200-250 more.

Also sidewall technology has come a long way... 33" tires on 18" wheels will ride slightly better then 33" on 20s.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
That's all jibberish I am a Toyo and nitto tire dealer and yes they want u to think that 20s are so much more but honestly they sometimes are less than 18s I know its hard to believe. For instance 35x20 are like 20 bucks more a tire than 35x18. And not to mention wheels are a lot more for 18s.hope this helps.pm me for pricing

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
That's all jibberish I am a Toyo and nitto tire dealer and yes they want u to think that 20s are so much more but honestly they sometimes are less than 18s I know its hard to believe. For instance 35x20 are like 20 bucks more a tire than 35x18. And not to mention wheels are a lot more for 18s.hope this helps.pm me for pricing

If that is all jibberish, post your price on a stock replacement tire for a Ford F350 with 20" wheels in a Nitto Terra Grappler and a lt295/70r/18 in the same tire. Basically the same size.... I seriously want to know your cost difference!

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
I have 20's on my truck with 35s and I have no complaints on ride or loading them up. The only thing is new tires cost way more for 20s

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
i could be totally wrong on this but isn't the only tire recommended on a 3/4ton a load range e tire. and every load range e tire ive ever had calls for at least 55psi and up to 80. so if you run a lower load range tire wouldn't you be losing capacity on your truck.

i've run load range e tires on my half tons at full psi and i think they ride just fine.

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
Hey there pepper I was not trying to make this another snowiest soap opera. If I remember right when I did this last time the twenty in the nitto was about thirty more a tire than factory. Don't quote me 100% if u want tires I will call my supplier in the am just let me know

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Spam is good on bread with lots of mustard.
Used 20 inch tires are cheap, as there are so many trucks that come with them as a factory size. I bought a set for $100 installed from a used tire place, I was amazed at the price but that is what the guy told me. I want to say they are 265/55-20?, 31inches tall. Ride wasn't great, they were horrible at grabbing ruts in that truck, a huge handful at times. (Truck drove great with 31x10.5-15 tires.) More sidewall means more flex, less means less. Less flex is more accurate/precise for street performance, but can be a drawback for the same reason. A squishy tire will be more forgiving in ruts, where a low profile will fight the other in ruts and jump around. Depends what you are doing, in my opinion. Our Durango was slightly lowered, so I wanted a street setup. My Excursion is lifted with 36" tires, I love the look of 16" wheels on it, the ride is nicer, and I am not real concerned with high speed cornering. THere is a lifted Dodge in town, I want to puke every time I see it. Looks like 35" tires or so, with at least 22-24" wheels. Dumbest looking thing ever, he took his truck and made it so it is as impractical as possible, just for looks. Lifted with tall tires for offroad with rubber band sidewalls for street handling, in a super tall truck.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Just put these on. 35/12.5/20 from Extreme customs(eBay) with the rims for $2300 reedy to be bolted on. The 18" set was$2000 Not that much of a price difference form 18" to 20" the ride is good.

IMG_0022.jpg

trickedout700

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2004
Great Falls, MT
That Dodge is sick I love the black out. U need to hit me up for some black recon cab lights and tails. And then install them night edition headlights. That's a hell of a price on them tires and wheels.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
In my opinion, 20's belong on a heavy duty truck about as much as tits belong on a boar. (unless you have that flat brimmed hat and white framed sun glasses)

Premium Features