• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2012 1100T 162 ***671 lbs*** full of gas!

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
My 25 yr old son is going to buy the big dog, 100 turbo and all. He rides with the best on his m800. Rides all day and every day. My prediction is he will give her for a while, then slowly take less runs. Then he will ride every second day, then once or twice a week........Then he will buy another 2 stroke.
I wish for a light weight 4 stroke that you can ride and get stuck all day long!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Well for some of us weight is not the sole factor in choosing or not choosing the 1100T or Nytro for that matter.

I have had all two strokes during my nearly 40 years of riding. For the last 23 years riding out west, I cant count how many times these two stroke sleds have burned down, or had tuning issues. Frankly I am tired of it.

I am at a point in life where I measure a good day on the hill by the number of times I have to open my hood. Yes, we play hard when we ride, love to boondock, explore and bomb up the occasional steep slope. My manhood measuring days are long over, and not why I bought this sled.

I just want to get on it, start it and go. I am tired of reliability issues with two strokes. I dont like the noise, I dont enjoy the smoke smell anymore, and above all, I want to get back out of the woods at the end of the day on my own power not on a hook.

So for me, I gravitated towards a four stroke solution. But to get these things to go in deep snow or at altitude, you need to turbo them. Well, I dont have the expertise or the interest in tuning, clutching an aftermarket turbo set up.

I was telling Hilly and the rest of our group, tha tthe first manufacturer that makes a sled with a factory four stroke turbo, that will handle decently, and have good power, I am going to buy it.

I had an inkling last year when Cat took the 1100 turbo and made it an EXT. That had been traditionally the last step before an all out mountain sled.

Had a chance to ride a prototype in the spring and was very impressed at how it handled the weight and had great power.

Is it heavy, yes, but not all that much more weight than what I was already riding in a 12 year old sled.

Will it be a biotch to get unstuck, yes if stuck on the flats for some reason. On a hill, not really, grab a ski and pull it around like anything else. I can count on one hand the number of times I have been stuck on the flats when riding out west in 22 years. On a hill, plenty of times.

With age, comes a bit of perspective. Am I giving up the Chris Burandt style of tree banging?, probably. But then again I never have ridden that way to begin with, dont care to and probably wont start now.

For the riding I do, this 4 stroke set up is what I need.

Be careful you keyboard sled consultants, ride it before you judge, I think you will come away with a similar opinion that I did when I rode it...........

Wow! this is one nice sled!!

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
The point was weight, not 4 strokes. And yes we had 670 lbs sleds until we got smarter. Do your research on when the first high hp turbos came out. They were not just invented. We ran a 120 hp 440 ice racer in the 80s and won because of power to weight. Have you learned about power to weight yet?:face-icon-small-win

Haha nope haven't covered it yet, maybe when I'm 50! ;)

I understood what you were saying I was just messing around with ya.

It's funny you mention power to weight because that's the strong point of the M1100t compared to the M800 when riding at high elevation.

M800 @ 10,000' = roughly 110hp (if sea level hp is 160) weight is around 555 (153 model I believe) so power to weight ratio is 5.05lb/hp

M1100t @ 10,000' = 170hp (no hp drop for elevation), weight = 671 (162 model), power to weight ratio = 3.94lb/hp

A turbo two stroke would clearly yield the highest power to weight ratio but their isn't one available from the factory which is why the M1100t is so freakin sweet!

I would bet that the M1100t is easier to throw around than any previous attempt at a factory mountain 4 stroke.

--Disclaimer, my numbers may not be 100% accurate but they are close enough

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Haha nope haven't covered it yet, maybe when I'm 50! ;)

I understood what you were saying I was just messing around with ya.

It's funny you mention power to weight because that's the strong point of the M1100t compared to the M800 when riding at high elevation.

M800 @ 10,000' = roughly 110hp (if sea level hp is 160) weight is around 555 (153 model I believe) so power to weight ratio is 5.05lb/hp

M1100t @ 10,000' = 170hp (no hp drop for elevation), weight = 671 (162 model), power to weight ratio = 3.94lb/hp

A turbo two stroke would clearly yield the highest power to weight ratio but their isn't one available from the factory which is why the M1100t is so freakin sweet!

I would bet that the M1100t is easier to throw around than any previous attempt at a factory mountain 4 stroke.

--Disclaimer, my numbers may not be 100% accurate but they are close enough

I agree with you factory 4 stroke view and understand your passion........and our riding might be different enough for us not to be on the same page. I have just seen so many get tired of the weight. Give it all you got and enjoy, thanks for your views.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Beleive it or not it is not a race. . . Or a competition. I will ride what I like. And I like thumpers. And thumpers without turbos are not good in the mountains. . So I will take a turbo with mine. . . Even if it means it is going to be 650lbs. I am not worried about the weight. . . believe it or not. . .

Nobody said it was a race or that were not to buy or enjoy what you want. Posts are about opinions and thats all. I learn from everyone on here(except Fredw). I hope you do ride what you want, otherwise you would be a *****.lol
My view is that weight eventually overcomes everyone eventually.Thats all. Enjoy!

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
The apex went to the wayside because the nytro was lighter, Seemed guys were wanting a lighter chassis.. Weird. When I was selling my turbo M8, I had guys wanting to trade their turbo nytro, Why? Probably because it was lighter. Now with all the new technology coming with the turbo systems and the reliability, I wont ever own a heavy 4 stroke. But that is just me.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Is it heavy, yes, but not all that much more weight than what I was already riding in a 12 year old sled.

Jeff C, you know I think you bought a sweet sled. It will do everything you want it to.

BUT to say it's doesn't weight that much more than what you came off, now that's just plain ridiculous...... I could be wrong but I'd bet your old sled ('99 Summit X 670) is at least 100 pounds lighter ready to ride... Again, not that it matters, but just sayin.

Joe

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Perhaps because I own one I guess I don't find the weight to be that scary. What Jeff C cited as reasons are basically word for word why I chose a 4 stroke as well.

Whenever I've gotten stuck with my 02 RMK and it has been a bitch to get out it is usually because I'm pushing snow while rotating the sled. I can't say that it has been the sled itself that I've found to be heavy. Usually its the 50 pounds of snow packed in the track, and the packed base that the sled trenched in, which refuses to move out of the way when I try to drag the sled through it.

J

jeffwmc54

Mar 21, 2011
yakima Wa
My 25 yr old son is going to buy the big dog, 100 turbo and all. He rides with the best on his m800. Rides all day and every day. My prediction is he will give her for a while, then slowly take less runs. Then he will ride every second day, then once or twice a week........Then he will buy another 2 stroke.
I wish for a light weight 4 stroke that you can ride and get stuck all day long!

I rode the tank today for the first time and I can honestly say that coming off a 430lb 09 dragon I will not be going back! This sled is completely awesome!!!! I could give ah sH$& less what it weighs! I knew it was gonna be heavy when I bought it, and I rely on my ability to not bury the sled in ah 10 foot tree well. The only problem with this sled is that now I'm gonna have a hard time finding challenges on the steeps!!! :) sorry 2 strokers... Never goin back.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I've been on a "lightweighted" TApex for 4 years. I rode the demo in March. The stock M8 didn't hold a candle to the stock 1100t at 9000', that I know and rode. Will you be more tired at the end of the day....of course. Guys that say they are going to turbo the M8 to get that little bit of extra power is what they want for the riding style they like. I am going to spend what they do in a Stage 2 kit and be almost the same weight with carbon fiber as their stock M8 weight is....except be on pump gas at 230hp and turn a key.

I've said all along I am a 4 stroke fan, not necessarily a Cat fan. We are not going to try an convince the 2 stroke guys it's light (although taking 70lbs out is pretty awesome) and they will never convince us that you can make me smile as wide as I do with 300+ at the end of your arms.

Let's just ride already.:face-icon-small-coo

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Jeff C, you know I think you bought a sweet sled. It will do everything you want it to.

BUT to say it's doesn't weight that much more than what you came off, now that's just plain ridiculous...... I could be wrong but I'd bet your old sled ('99 Summit X 670) is at least 100 pounds lighter ready to ride... Again, not that it matters, but just sayin.

Joe

I think that sled came in at 510 dry back in the day....

YOu might be right, it is closer to 100#'s so what?

I'm telling you Joe, for my riding style it wont matter much........

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I think that sled came in at 510 dry back in the day....

YOu might be right, it is closer to 100#'s so what?

I'm telling you Joe, for my riding style it wont matter much........

510 dry. . . Yes. . . I would bet that is close. But 127 hp at sea level. With more power in a sled with good geometry it won't matter. You won't be fighting with the sled. Hopefully it has easy throttle pull so my thumb doesn't get tired. Another thing that might make me tired it the constant smile on my face! O and one more thing my arms will probally feel tired from holding onto the rocket. If the sled does what they say it does and there are a few on here that say it does that have them already. And that is react well to ridder input. While we can compare this sled to the nytro in the power catagory and that it is a 4 stroke I think the chassis is not even comparable. I can tell you that my yamadoo was far better than a nytro when it was running perfect and I wasn't fighting it. And I can tell you it was all of 670lbs wet. And I expect this to feel alot better. I can't wait. . . even though I have to a while yet. . . :face-icon-small-fro

D
Nov 27, 2007
Men lets man up! Whats up with all the weak tits buying light weights sled?Is it cause they cant lift them out cause they weak?? Lets be men about it and buy the heavyst sled out there so we get a work out and get ripped for our ladies back home!! braaap braap!!!

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Men lets man up! Whats up with all the weak tits buying light weights sled?Is it cause they cant lift them out cause they weak?? Lets be men about it and buy the heavyst sled out there so we get a work out and get ripped for our ladies back home!! braaap braap!!!

Now that was a stupid comment. But honestly. . . Amber Holt is buying a m1100t.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Good for you guys, the 4 strokers have so many advantages and also a few not so good, like all these toys do. I didn't buy one, but am sure watching to see how they work, sweet looking sled and I've always loved the boosted yammi power, so this sled with 200 plus HP should be a treat. Get er dialed in for us boys if its a sweet as we all hope, next year I imagine there'll be a line up of us with our cash hanging out. Good on you guys and have fun.

Premium Features