• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turning the 1100T into crazy boondocking sled. HOW?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You can do a bunch of the same stuff with the 4 stroke. To say you can't is crap. I had a turbo nytro at 15 pounds of boost. You had to be a little throttle conscious with that much boost in the trees. You better have it pointed where you want to go, when you open it up, because it's going. I could do it but not all day. Wide yamaha running boards were a little bit of a problem when doing downhill u turns.What really killed you was sidehilling downhill. You really had to watch what was coming up so you didn't have the front drop downhill. Way tougher to get back. Especially with a rear mount. My shoulders hurt for a day or two after. If you got it stuck you couldn't just roll it over or you would leak oil everywhere. Hopefully the cat doesn't do that. I had to buy a jack. It was tough for two people to get them unstuck. Just not as fun as a turbo 2 stroke in the trees. I found myself not taking some of the lines I usually would because of some of these issues. Finally I decided I'm going back to a 2 stroke. Best decision I ever made. The only thing the 4 has over the 2 is more power but most people can't handle 240-250 hp in the trees anyway. The reliability doesn't mean much because all the guys I ride with, that are really into sledding, never keep a sled more than a few years anyway. Never had any issues with turbo 2 stroke reliability if you don't get too greedy on the amount of boost.
I'm sure the cat will be way better than the nytro but To be a crazy boondocker, well, I don't buy it.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Hehehe... you pretty much said it , it can be done , but its very hard , very tiring and you better be the size of shaq to do it for more than 1/2 a day. Even then you will be dog tired and wish you had something a lot lighter.
I dont know why ppl are trying to make the 1100 something its not. It will be a blast rippin up deep and steep , it will be better than most 4 strokes trying to get thru light stuff , but you are going to feel like that poor dude on dancing with the retards who got stuck with kirstie alley if you try to run the tight nasty stuff all day.

J
Jul 10, 2010
Alaska
Riding

I think most people think they are better than they are and need more hp than they really do. I have been riding for a long time and got a chance to ride with Burandt this year. The video's do not do justice to what these guys are capable of on a stock sled, not to mention a turbo. In the past I always thought I needed more power, turbo, pipes, and so on. After seeing some of the sickest lines through the trees on stock sleds, I have realized that increasing my riding skills is more important than a few more hp. With that in mind I have had more fun riding this year than in the last 20 years and hat was with my mostly stock 160hp m8. For me light and flickable make for a fun ride. I do have the benefit of riding at fairly low elevation.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i see 3 times in that one video where they are getting stuck and cut that part out.but they are pretty good for young pups.

jbmilek

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
I gotta side with jiujitsu on this. I've been riding for 18 years, every year i'd get a little better and a little better. I thought that my riding was purty dang good and have had a blast this year on the 2011 m8 bashing trees, climbing creek bottoms and all kinds of stuff.

So I started to think about turbos and nitrous and all that good stuff until I got to ride with Rasmussen in March. I felt so inadequate, he could make that sled do things with so much ease and then I would try to follow him and i was stuck everytime. I've watch both of the Schooled videos and it looks cool on tv but it is so much more impressive to see it first hand and then try to follow.

I got a lot of tips and tricks out of the ride with Brett and I'm going to spend all of my money on gas and oil so I can go ride because by the end of the day riding with Brett I was already doing stuff that i thought i needed more power for.

Now I'm not saying that people on this board can't ride like Chris or Brett because I have not seen them ride but if ever get the chance to try and follow one of those guys through the trees, you better bring your A game.

J
Jan 15, 2010
Thats exactly how I ride, couldn't pull off the up hill u-turn the way I wanted to until I got a new suspension, now all I have to do is stand on the back of the running boards and pull up and it does it on its own. I have also made full throttle pulls while pulling a wheelie through trees so tight I was breaking branches on both sides, pretty much there is nothing in that video teaser I haven't done at some point, other than the jumping, I don't do big air.

Maybe you should ask yourself how to do it and just figure it out, rather than think its one special guy out there that does it all.

I know a few guys that have tapex's that can go where we do, its more work but it can still be done.

With a claim like that I'm sure you have some video to show us???

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
In Schooled Again, Bret and Chris ride stock sleds and do the same stuff Dave posted in the video above. Their turbo sleds aren't the magic, it's rider skill.

People seem to get this backwards -- Learn how to ride first, then go for more power.

WOW! I stand corrected. Didn't know that was the case! Next time I wont open my fat mouth if I don't know for sure....Sorry:face-icon-small-con

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Yup me too! That's exactly how I ride....almost every night; then the wife roles over and wakes me up. :face-icon-small-win

Hell, I've put money up more than once yet no takers. So prove me wrong and then speak up. I take what people say as truth until proven other wise, yet most of the time I'm the only one actually doing it. (now that otta fire up a troll)

With a claim like that I'm sure you have some video to show us???

I have tried but the good stuff doesn't get caught, ( I can't afford a camera crew) especially when no one can follow you through the trees and capture anything worth showing (maybe next year I'll be able to put something together), I'm not saying I can out ride anyone. Just saying everything in that teaser, I've done it (not the air)
I ride with 6lbs of boost most of the time on a 09 m8 at 10000ft and weigh 220lbs dry, with tools gear and gas it prob adds 70lbs more. So I am basically running stock hp at elevation. My m1000 is a kick too, so was my 07. My point the sleds give you different challenges. My friends pg 09 m1000 is really fun in the trees.

Some of you don't get that if it has been done you can prob do it too, for me its about the challenge. I figure if there is a line that goes 10 to 100ft I'll figure out the line when I get to the end and keep going. I followed for a few years and learned now I challenge myself. You would be amazed what you can do and the terrain you find when you forget about what your lacking and put it all on yourself and nothing to blame.

J
Jan 15, 2010
Hell, I've put money up more than once yet no takers. So prove me wrong and then speak up. I take what people say as truth until proven other wise, yet most of the time I'm the only one actually doing it. (now that otta fire up a troll)

I have tried but the good stuff doesn't get caught, ( I can't afford a camera crew) especially when no one can follow you through the trees and capture anything worth showing (maybe next year I'll be able to put something together), I'm not saying I can out ride anyone. Just saying everything in that teaser, I've done it (not the air)
I ride with 6lbs of boost most of the time on a 09 m8 at 10000ft and weigh 220lbs dry, with tools gear and gas it prob adds 70lbs more. So I am basically running stock hp at elevation. My m1000 is a kick too, so was my 07. My point the sleds give you different challenges. My friends pg 09 m1000 is really fun in the trees.

Some of you don't get that if it has been done you can prob do it too, for me its about the challenge. I figure if there is a line that goes 10 to 100ft I'll figure out the line when I get to the end and keep going. I followed for a few years and learned now I challenge myself. You would be amazed what you can do and the terrain you find when you forget about what your lacking and put it all on yourself and nothing to blame.

In these days of Go Pros and digi cameras? c'mon, you gotta have some footy to back a claim like that...without pics it means nothing. You dont need a camera crew, all you need a buddy with an iphone.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
this is all quite entertaining...especially since half of the people pounding keys are done for the season...

Simple fact is, these guys ride 80+ days a year...and are riding with buddies who push their skill beyond where it is...

Most of us are lucky to get 20 rides in a year, and generally ride with buddies who do the same as us...

if you want your skill to improve, ride more, and with better riders...

The year I went up to BC and rode with some of my friends there, my skills and comfort in the hills went leap years ahead...for two reasons, 1- do it or helicopter out tends to get you pretty focused....2- do it or die, tends to focus you even more...

Nothing compares to seat time, and seat time that pushes you well past your comfort zone...

So, the simple answer to the question- What to do to make the M1100T into a crazy boondocking sled?

Be a crazy boondocker...

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
In these days of Go Pros and digi cameras? c'mon, you gotta have some footy to back a claim like that...without pics it means nothing. You dont need a camera crew, all you need a buddy with an iphone.

You would sure think so, your welcome to come try. month back I had nice cut over a rock cliff nearly washed out, had 2 friends with gopro's and nothing worth showing, kinda disappointing if you know what I mean.

I am OCD in the way that I can't stand feeling comfortable, I love fear. Even if scares the chit out of me once in a while!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think that's something that people forget, when you've got 60+ days a year to ride, you're gonna get comfy with WHATEVER you're riding (but I'd still rather ride something light with big power! :D)

I feel pretty lucky to ride from oct to july... life is good.:nod::nod::nod:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
this thread sure turned into some bashing.. Was just curious about people who have ridden 4 strokes and if it was possible. I'm gonna stay 2 stroke but it was nice to see peoples opinions. and tree riding is 90% of what i do....

tree riding

tree6.jpg

tree2.jpg

DSCN1541.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzjduz2nS0k this was really 2011 not 2010

the go pro doesn't do justice for how steep things are.

It does take a lot of practice and I'm by no means an expert but I keep trying to ride like burandt and rasmussen. Rode with Bret the other day and that guy has some skills. I'm still trying to get better thats what the sport is all about pushing yourself everytime and putting yourself in uncomfortable situations thats how you get better. just like burandt says theres always an out. You have to keep that in mind when your riding steep trees

Last edited:

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
It's interesting the different views of tree riding. Those pics look awesome! The biggest thing I saw different riding in trees in Idaho, big trunks, a lot of them have no branches until 10' above the ground. Now I know why lots ride with chest protectors. Riding trees where I ride, Revy, Valemount, Blue River, are far smaller, branches to the ground with huge tree wells that go all the way to the ground, and very dense in most areas we like to ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
When I lived over on the WA, ID boarder the tree riding out there is kick as$, the trees are spaced out, the branches start up high, loved it. Out here I break a lot of branches and can rarely see past the next tree until I clear the tree well. 4 strokes can do it but everyone is switching to 2 strokes because they are more reliable and way more fun. Power makes a big difference and opens more challenges. I get the feeling the 11T will perform much like a pg m1000, it will be heavier but will benefit from the new chassis to equal out.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
yeah its a rush for sure when your going up through the trees wondering where you're gonna put your sled and if you have to go up or down or right through some branches its a blast. I would love to get up to BC someday to ride up there. I was just curious about peopls thoughts on 4 strokes don't know much about them other then a kid rides a stock nytro in our group....yea wouldn't do that... appreciate all the positive feedback

and it sure is fun to take pics in the trees!

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
soon as my son (hes 2) is able to motorcross and wrestling ill be moving down to the states to get him in a little more competitive circuits.

pics like that make me not feel so bad about leaving alaska! thanks for sharing.

-Aksnopro

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
back to the 4 stroke weight loss...

this may be way out in left field, but i gotta ask cuz i don't know...

is it at all possible to start this motor manually? a traditional pull rope, or maybe something not so traditional? a lot of its weight has got to be in the battery and starter motor.

Premium Features