• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled moves 50ft then refuses to move

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
If you can pull the belt off without having to open the secondary cluch up (pushing and rotating the moveable sheave) you have the wrong belt. I had a friend that had a 440ss back when that was the same setup, I remember it took a completely different belt than the indys of the day. That was the machine that was so fussy about the belts, new belt, went like stink, wear that seemed insignificant and it would be a slug. Try a brown polaris spring in the primary, we did that to his and it woke that sled up.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
The primary clutch has a white spring for low elevation riding and above 5000 feet it is an orange spring.
The clutch center to center distance on your sled is 11.5" which is why you need a different belt than most Polaris sleds of that era which had center distance of 12".

Your oem drive belt is part number 3211046. Available here http://polarisdrivebelt.com/Polaris-OEM-Drive-Belt-3211046-3211046.htm

Dayco also has a replacement belt HP3024 which can be obtained at aftermarket suppliers. Found one here http://www.mfgsupply.com/snowmobile/drivebelts/daycodrivebelts/polaris-snowmobile-drive-belts/polaris-dayco-hp-belts/hp3024.html for cheaper than Dennis Kirk.

You can measure your drive belt by holding a string around the outside circumference and then measure the length. As shown in the websites above the circumference should be 46 7/16" and width should be 1 3/8".

Last edited:
K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
Please dont laugh.

Tried it again. Sled bogged, wouldnt run.

I stood there looking at it, and the drive belt white lettering was facing the wrong way.
pulled the belt, reinstalled so lettering was easy to read when kneeling by the clutch. Sled took off and runs. Good grief.

Premium Features