• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? 17 with upgrades or snowcheck an 850 ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just curious to see what some guys thoughts are????????

Currently running a 17 Axys 163, 2.6 with some goodies which include Raptors all around, K-Mod 37" front suspension, SLP pipe combo, gear down, clutch work, low seat and a full wrap. I absolutely love the sled and have had zero issues with it, well besides the dreaded TPS ! (one time)

I typically upgrade every two or three years and obviously I'm interested in the new 850!! So my question is............

Snowcheck a new 850 and basically start over and do a pipe and other goodies or......
does a guy keep the 17 longer and throw a turbo on her and just run it? The sled has 700 miles and like I said, its been good and I really have no major complaints.

I know what I'm leaning towards, just curious what you guys think?????

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you like the way your sled handles... and you have a great setup... IMO... Keep it for one more year... You've already taken the big depreciation "hit' and it really is not getting any worse.

The 840 promises to be a great sled... but your's is already "dialed" in and in the SAME chassis with the same width front, albeit, better front end.

Don't even throw a turbo on it IMO...but heck, that's just me.

E
Dec 15, 2015
Hayden, Idaho
If you have the means I would upgrade now. It’s kind of a bummer to have bought the current model sled done all the upgrades and you have only ridden it one year, but you know after next season you will want an 850

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Buy the 850 and switch over all the suspension parts from your 17. I ordered a 850 with a 163x 2.6. Going to switch over my Zbros suspension from my 17, put a 3.2 on it and a can. Should be a great timber machine. A lot of new tech and better electrics in the 850. I think the new engine is going to be very good. I don't feel Polaris would release this new engine with a 4 year warranty without being very confident its up to the task.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
I am asking the exact same question myself. I have a '17 SKS snowcheck that has a bunch of aftermarket parts on it (exhaust, belt drive, bumpers, etc...) My sled only has 700 miles on it as well.
Thinking about a new sled or just keeping this one and boosting it:face-icon-small-con

Mr. Pump Gas

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Glad I am not the only one with this internal debate! Absolutely love my VOHK setup 163 with all the goodies. I really am torn.

Watching Ross Robinson’s video on the front end, boards, etc has me leaning towards doing a VOHK 850.

Trying to ride one first as I am curious if the chassis are really that much better? We all know the power is gonna be great but doesn’t matter as much to me on a turbo.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
If you have the means I would upgrade now. It’s kind of a bummer to have bought the current model sled done all the upgrades and you have only ridden it one year, but you know after next season you will want an 850

2 seasons on the 17, it was a snowcheck.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Buy the 850 and switch over all the suspension parts from your 17. I ordered a 850 with a 163x 2.6. Going to switch over my Zbros suspension from my 17, put a 3.2 on it and a can. Should be a great timber machine. A lot of new tech and better electrics in the 850. I think the new engine is going to be very good. I don't feel Polaris would release this new engine with a 4 year warranty without being very confident its up to the task.

That would be my plan too, switch over my front end and my Raptors, along with my low seat, bags and some other things.

Like I said, the 17 is great but I like to stay as current as I can and not fall too far behind on models and or tech.

So, option three would be to just keep the 17 for one more year and do nothing to it and snowcheck next year for sure.

I'm heading over to my dealer today and sit down and get some prices and go from there.

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab
That would be my plan too, switch over my front end and my Raptors, along with my low seat, bags and some other things.

Like I said, the 17 is great but I like to stay as current as I can and not fall too far behind on models and or tech.

So, option three would be to just keep the 17 for one more year and do nothing to it and snowcheck next year for sure.

I'm heading over to my dealer today and sit down and get some prices and go from there.

You maybe should avoid the dealership, if your dealer is as good of salesman as mine, you will end up on the snow check list!!!! and I have a 2018!!!
With his good this and better that along with 10% off and the $1000 golden ticket (from last years snowcheck)... I now have a 2019, 850, 163x2.6, black and gold toboggan on its way!!
The years fly by fast enough and snow check makes it worse!! Last week praying for snow, this week praying for summer to be over!!! :)

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Well .......
Back from the dealer and things are leaning towards an upgrade, especially when it sounds like I may have my sled sold and would t have to worry about trading !!!!

So at this point I'm waiting to here back to see if mine will be sold. If it sells well then I "have to" get something else !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I'd be most worried about parts being on backorder for a long time. They had a terrible time with keeping parts on the shelf for the 800 motor, can't imagine they'll have much of anything with the 850 being a limited build.

Last edited:

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I honestly dont think the 850 is a limited build, more like a limited offer. This gives them a chance to offer something special for snowcheck that you cannot get during the rest of the season (which people have been asking for). This also allows them to move out some 800 parts so that the 850 stuff can replace it. I think the 850 will fully replace the 800 in the next year or three.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I would wait. New engines from Polaris are not always as great as they want you to think. The 4 year warranty does not ensure the motor will work. You can get 4 years on an 800 and it will never last that long if you ride it, why would the 850 be any different?

Being only halfway through the lifespan of the 800 motor at 700 miles, and still having warranty left I would ride the '17 till it blows next year, get a warranty replacement motor and then sell the sled with a fresh powerplant.

Premium Features