• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Silber turbo

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Everyone is having supply issues this year. I been waiting 2 months for my mtntk kit. And lots of little odds and ends were tough to find. But every dealer says same thing " it will ship in couple days and still no word 2 weeks later

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
The problem is these kits work to good. Demand is strong because of this. IMO we are not far from a two stroke turbo from a factory. This will hurt these innovators that have pioneered the two stroke turbo. Look what yamaha did to mpi after all those years.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The problem is these kits work to good. Demand is strong because of this. IMO we are not far from a two stroke turbo from a factory. This will hurt these innovators that have pioneered the two stroke turbo. Look what yamaha did to mpi after all those years.

These companies may be the majority of the turbo biz right now, but be careful how you use innovators. There were guys long long before that were here when turbos were like "standing at a fire and throwing $100 bills in". I think that is how Fbomb worded it. Those guys were the innovators.

Guys like my old buddy Twister, Turbo Doc, Bill Lofton.... They were innovators.

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
These manufacturers could lock down a ECM so fast and hard and make it real hard for these boys to re flash one. Along with factory parameters like a MAP sensor etc..... it’s not just been Shop time innovators. The manufacturers have done a lot to help all of this go a lot farther a lot faster in the last couple years.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
These manufacturers could lock down a ECM so fast and hard make it real hard to re flash one. Along with factory parameters like a MAP sensor etc..... it’s not just been Shop time innovators. The manufacturers have done a lot to help all of this go a lot farther a lot faster in the last couple years.

You are correct in that they are letting someone else do the rd on this. I hope the companies making kits do there homework and have good patents. It's not just turbo industry the manufacturer's seem to be paying close attention to certain engine builders also.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
These manufacturers could lock down a ECM so fast and hard and make it real hard for these boys to re flash one. Along with factory parameters like a MAP sensor etc..... it’s not just been Shop time innovators. The manufacturers have done a lot to help all of this go a lot farther a lot faster in the last couple years.

I can tell you these ECU's from the factory are locked and it takes a lot of time to unlock them..

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

I’m not worried at all about this. Polaris is still using antiquated electrical design and theory. Polaris Industries is way too cheap to build a non hackable ECU. Silber and Bully Dog have now cracked the much more advanced ETEC ECU.

The automotive (diesel truck) world is generations ahead of the sled OE’s. And they are still getting cracked all the time.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
They can make them much worse.

Lol

I know this stuff first hand. Few things...

1) The OEMs even on the automotive level don't have a whole lot of incentive to build in heavy amounts of encryption into their ECUs. (or any) - however, being car hacking is becoming a thing (eg, steal a car through hacking; take control of a car remotely etc) there is *more* incentive but by the time this level of security trickles down to the snowmobile, I'd actually wager electric sleds will be viable. (and I can't wait ;) ) Point in case, all the programmer companies have no issue with current car ecus, and they are far more involved than a sled ECU (more tables, more complexity).

2) It already is very difficult to hack these on *any* level. It is a computer science thing, not an automotive thing. You are taking machine language and turning it into something a person can understand. The process is super tedious and requires high level programming understanding to do.

3) An ECU is just a computer. It has inputs and outputs. It runs on machine language. (0s and 1s) The reason using the stock ECU is so much better than a piggyback (which again is just a computer) is it isn't "fighting" the factory map. It isn't subordinate to anything. It has the ability to take more into account, faster. Point is, so long as you have a strong understanding of engine management, the parameter inputs, data tables and programming, you can make an ECU do whatever you need it to do - and without a piggyback there is only one ECU in the equation, you are going to get a cleaner running product...

/rant./

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Pffft, Polaris handed Silber full access to their ECU. They're in cahoots and will be coming out with a factory turbo 2-stroke at snowcheck this spring, with a Silber sticker on it. That's my hope, anyway. All the engine upgrades they did this year make it seem so... And if Polaris sees lots of success, they'll buy Silber the following season.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Pffft, Polaris handed Silber full access to their ECU. They're in cahoots and will be coming out with a factory turbo 2-stroke at snowcheck this spring, with a Silber sticker on it. That's my hope, anyway. All the engine upgrades they did this year make it seem so... And if Polaris sees lots of success, they'll buy Silber the following season.

If Polaris were in bed with a turbo supplier it wouldn’t be silber.

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
LOL, Same old e-mail string every year.

Justin won't call me back,

Justin is great,

Polaris is buying Silber,

I'm sure I will get attacked but strongly suggest anybody buying a turbo system to go back into the thread history and make decisions based on many posts and not just the cheerleaders' posts.

I know who exactly who I won't spend any more money with......

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
LOL, Same old e-mail string every year.

Justin won't call me back,

Justin is great,

Polaris is buying Silber,

I'm sure I will get attacked but strongly suggest anybody buying a turbo system to go back into the thread history and make decisions based on many posts and not just the cheerleaders' posts.

I know who exactly who I won't spend any more money with......

Hey man!

Totally fine. However anyone that calls me will get a call back. Anyone who emails me will get an email back. My number is on the website, though email is often faster.

I only comment here as I whole heartedly do not feel its fair to judge Silber based off what the company was when it was going through its growing pains many years ago. Its in the past...just like fuel controllers ;)

We love to ride. We take a lot of pride in our work. We care about the customer experience and are always looking for ways to improve, to grow and to progress. Open to feedback, but we are not in this to "screw" anybody. Quiet the opposite.

...and no, Polaris is not buying us :)

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Silber Clutching

JJ,

Don't take this the wrong way. Out of the box clutching that Silber provides, does get us on the snow. But it does have a lot of room to be better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are running a better clutch setup than what Silber provides. Many of us are taking a different route, much more expensive route to get a clutch kit that works. If your setup works that much better than what Silber is providing, why aren't they using what you have tested? Having a setup directly from Silber that works great would benefit both the supplier and end user.

I'm just going off of memory from reading many threads.

Just a thought. YB

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
JJ,

Don't take this the wrong way. Out of the box clutching that Silber provides, does get us on the snow. But it does have a lot of room to be better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are running a better clutch setup than what Silber provides. Many of us are taking a different route, much more expensive route to get a clutch kit that works. If your setup works that much better than what Silber is providing, why aren't they using what you have tested? Having a setup directly from Silber that works great would benefit both the supplier and end user.

Just a thought. YB

From what I understand they are making strides towards getting a more dialed in clutch setup. I know they are using new weights, the profile of these new weights look way better than what was used last year.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
JJ,

Just a thought. YB

100% this has been discussed. Few things here.

1) Justin is a better rider than 99% of the riders out there (myself very much included). He runs the stock clutching. He likes it and he does things on a sled that would shock most people. If I do my job this year, you will see how the owner rides. Its impressive.

2) A number of the sponsored riders also like the stock clutching and do not adjust in anyway from what Justin sends.

3) When I started with the company, I had no business riding a turbo'd sled. In some ways, this was good, because we wanted to make setups for everyone, not just top tier pros or really experienced riders. I am an athletic dude, coming from a pro level background in two other sports, but had (and still have) a lot of work to do in the sled world when it comes to riding skills. I say this very honestly and without ego.

Point is, my clutch setup was really meant for my riding style, it was also meant to help minimize the number of belts I was smoking in a year. It did both, and the cost was ~$120 - as I've grown as a rider, I've actually gotten closer to Justin's setup - with a hair softer primary spring, a hair steeper helix, and a bit lighter weights.

4) I've talked to Justin about offering my setup on the website, we might, but frankly before we sell/offer something first hand we need a bunch more testing around it. I've put probably 10 customers on it. They all like it. But again, its not for everyone.

5) Justin is working on a few ideas. Not resting on his laurels. His goal was to put together something that would work, letting people adjust from there. So many people want so many different setups - its tough. But yes, we've heard "we want better clutching", and we are working on it.

TRS's clutching is awesome. But I do not anticipate we offer anything that requires reshimming the primary.

Like I said above, we are looking at all aspects of the equation when putting together kits, this is certainly on the radar.

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Hey man!

Totally fine. However anyone that calls me will get a call back. Anyone who emails me will get an email back. My number is on the website, though email is often faster.

I only comment here as I whole heartedly do not feel its fair to judge Silber based off what the company was when it was going through its growing pains many years ago. Its in the past...just like fuel controllers ;)

We love to ride. We take a lot of pride in our work. We care about the customer experience and are always looking for ways to improve, to grow and to progress. Open to feedback, but we are not in this to "screw" anybody. Quite the opposite.

...and no, Polaris is not buying us :)

Big difference between growing pains and ethics.

I have no problem dealing with growing pains, I have a problem with ethical behavior and standing behind a product. In my business world, I deal with growing pains on a daily basis. The difference between me and another is I can go into a bar out west during snowmobile season an not have it filled with turbo riders that want to punch me.

Did not appreciate the "tail light" warranty handling procedure.

The big problem here on the forms its hard for the novice turbo enthusiast to filter out the cronie cheerleaders from the people who really are having good success with their kits. My bet is on more disappointment than success.

I choose to spend my money with ethical sellers and hope for that big karma avalanche.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Big difference between growing pains and ethics.

I have no problem dealing with growing pains, I have a problem with ethical behavior and standing behind a product. In my business world, I deal with growing pains on a daily basis. The difference between me and another is I can go into a bar out west during snowmobile season an not have it filled with turbo riders that want to punch me.

Did not appreciate the "tail light" warranty handling procedure.

The big problem here on the forms its hard for the novice turbo enthusiast to filter out the cronie cheerleaders from the people who really are having good success with their kits. My bet is on more disappointment than success.

I choose to spend my money with ethical sellers and hope for that big karma avalanche.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Again, I've never heard from you in person, via email or via social media. I absolutely would go out of my way to help you. You just seem more hell bent on flaming every silber product at all costs.

All I can do is extend a hand. If you chose not to take it, well, sorry.

Have a wonderful winter!

RMK900Tractor

Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Sorry to hear of your experience. Again, I've never heard from you in person, via email or via social media. I absolutely would go out of my way to help you. You just seem more hell bent on flaming every silber product at all costs.

All I can do is extend a hand. If you chose not to take it, well, sorry.

Have a wonderful winter!

I'm not hell-bent on flaming, merely stating the facts. Don't try to turn my comments into a rant of a basher. My comments are from actual events that transpired.

Can say what you want to help save face but facts are facts. I know how my experience was and it was poor at best.

Premium Features