• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speculation on new chassis for 2019?

J
Jan 7, 2016
Does cat go with the 7 year life cycle for a chassis? If so wouldn't 2019 be the potential new chassis year?
Im really wanting to order a 2018 MC but wonder if waiting a year and seeing if they release a new chassis.
Or is the 2018 the "new" chassis since its been named "Ascender platform"

Any thoughts, input, opinions?

Thanks

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have learned to "ride now". If you wait until 2019 and it is the same......then what. If you buy a 2018 and they change it.....then what. You will never be ahead of the curve on snowmobiles and can't ride what does not exist. I would tell you to get a new 2018 and enjoy the best stock sled available at this time.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Or you invest some more money and build a really nice mod sled you are happy with and ride it for 3-4 years until the stock stuff catches back up to it.

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
Cat appears to be doing what Ski-Doo did with the XP/XM chassis. Chassis came out in 2008 and in 2013 the "new" XM came out and was built thru 2016. Same basic chassis with lots and lots of smaller changes/refinements, new plastic, new suspension etc. It ended up being basically a whole different sled ask anyone that rides Doo. I wouldn't expect a new "chassis" anytime soon but perhaps more refinements and improvements.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
Cat appears to be doing what Ski-Doo did with the XP/XM chassis. Chassis came out in 2008 and in 2013 the "new" XM came out and was built thru 2016. Same basic chassis with lots and lots of smaller changes/refinements, new plastic, new suspension etc. It ended up being basically a whole different sled ask anyone that rides Doo. I wouldn't expect a new "chassis" anytime soon but perhaps more refinements and improvements.

Exactly! And Poo does the same thing with a Pro-Ride and Axys!

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
If you hold off on buying a new sled hoping for a new chassis next year you will be disappointed. Personally I doubt cat has a new chassis coming for several years. Why would they? they have the best all around sled available for next year with the chassis they have and its significantly stronger than the other two. They can continue shaving weight off the sled they have without touching the main chassis in the coming years.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm pretty cool with the current chassis. I'd only change a few things

Center motor
Ditch stupid heavy oil tank
Ditch stupid heavy air intake.
Ditch stupid heavy chaincase for belt

After that, I'm all good with the current design.

To be honest, I don't even really know why the snowest mods made a new section. 2018 is not a new sled.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I think the Ascender was set to be released in 16 but they had problems with the engine and had to push it back. So they released a little of the new chassis in 16 and 17 until they were ready to release it all. With 3 manufacturers there will be a new sled out more years than not by one of them. Find one you like and ride it until they make something you want more. The only way to not worry is to buy a new one every year, costing you at least $4-5k a year just to own the sled. Or do what I do and buy a holdover every year and only lose a couple grand. I justify doing this by not modding the sled, I would spend at least a few grand in a couple of years in upgrades. So I figure I can ride a new holdover sled every year at less cost if I just add bags and a lefty each year. You don't get to ride the latest and greatest but you do get a new sled and save a ton of cash.

Last edited:

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Given the changes Cat me in 2018, it seems unlikely they will do a new chassis in 2019. Likely to get refinements in the new 800 motor first.

K
May 9, 2013
the 2018 seems "changed" enough to call it different. New skid geometry, plastic, chain case, motor.
It also seems to be keeping its own with the other brands latest.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
the 2018 seems "changed" enough to call it different. New skid geometry, plastic, chain case, motor.
It also seems to be keeping its own with the other brands latest.
skid geo was last year, chain case last year
face-icon-small-tongue.gif

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Won't see a new chassis till '21 but the monorail will be on the '19. Monorail is currently on the snow. Possible factory turbo in '19 also. That may get pushed to '20 but it is coming. Doo may beat them to the punch on the turbo. Not sure where doo is at in their timeline for the turbo so that is just a guess.:eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
the future gets a video

It's in standard definition aspect ratio

Makes sense

Premium Features