• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who cares about weight on paper!

G
Jan 15, 2009
Vail
I'm sure that I will get flamed for this but I am rather tired of everyone dogging the 2013 1100 Turbo for its weight!

My first real sled was a 2005 RMK 900. Arguably the worst sled ever made and I agree. Heavy, weak, and a time bomb. I personally never had an issue. Next was a 2010 M8. Loved this sled. Changed my first belt at 1600 miles for the hell of it. Still looked in good shape. Rode a demo 2012 1100 Turbo up in Steamboat and thought the engine was about to blow due to the release of turbo pressure (not used to the blow off). Loved the power!

Last year, got a 2013 1100 Turbo. First 200 miles sucked. Later found out that one of the turbo hoses was disconnected. Next 800 miles blew my mind and only one belt. I'm 175lbs and never looked at the weight of the sled before I rode it and I couldn't tell the difference between my 2010 m8 and 2013 1100 turbo. The power difference was insane! I ride mostly in the trees around 10,000-12,000 in the Vail, Colorado area. I find the longer track makes a larger difference than the additional weight and my tree riding is the same as it always is, until I get stuck. This sled rocks and I still have my 2 stroker which I never rode last year. To each their own.

Power to weight ratio is what I look at if I must. Thank you for listening and be gentle with the flame.

Side Note=MDS weights, 3 inch straight pipe, venting, nothing else

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
paper weight?

where the weight matters is in the trees and riding. I have thought about the 1100 and I think as far as getting in shape it would be great . build good muscles but I get tired of throng them around. many of times I ride with guys that do not have the skills to ride a heavy sled and they will get in a place they can't get it out of. I can place then on my prolite and they can ride right up the hill like no big deal while I ride their 1100 up to them.

So paper really had nothing to do with it unless you take in account that paper is made out of trees.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Oddly enough, the numbers on paper actually correlate to a real thing in the field. How much weight matters really comes down to how dynamic you are. If you're relatively non dynamic in your riding, the heavy sleds, but with more power are going to do just fine.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Oddly enough, the numbers on paper actually correlate to a real thing in the field. How much weight matters really comes down to how dynamic you are. If you're relatively non dynamic in your riding, the heavy sleds, but with more power are going to do just fine.

BCIL, have you ridden a fair share of 1100's? Please take note I am smiling when typing this. I agree it feels heavier but still handles much better than 4 strokes of the past.

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
I agree the 1100T handles way better than a nytro or an Apex but I can tell you even at 220lbs when I rode my fathers 1100T before he switched back to an 800 I was tired by the end of the day. They are great for climbing but when you get into the trees I would rather take a 800 because of the weight

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Well it matters

Don't get me wrong, I like my 1,100 turbo and probably will not go back. I'm just not blind to the fact that weight sucks. There are dozens of things to consider on the sled you ride, weight is one of them, power is one of them. For me I think the sled I have fits me just fine. Even though I can't tip the big fat girl back up when I tip over.

Owen

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Don't get me wrong, I like my 1,100 turbo and probably will not go back. I'm just not blind to the fact that weight sucks. There are dozens of things to consider on the sled you ride, weight is one of them, power is one of them. For me I think the sled I have fits me just fine. Even though I can't tip the big fat girl back up when I tip over.

Owen

Owen, Well said. There are trade offs to riding a 4 stroke. I have weighed them out and I prefer the 4 stroke for many reasons.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
You can add a ton of horse power and still have a reliable engine! Thats what I love about my M1100.

You can do that on the 800 as well though, EASILY. (probably more cost, but total dollar would be similar on a new 800 boosted and an 1100 with 250 hp)

11T, I rode ONE... not gonna claim my one ride was end all be all or anything like that, but the difference was gigantic, both in static weight and felt weight riding. HUGELY better than a Nytro, but still a far cry from what I'm used to.

Now if I was riding a stock 174 with the limiters pulled in, the 1100 in comparison isn't that heavy, shoot, I can take the same M8 & make it feel 100 lbs heavier in 5 minutes, or make it feel lighter... setup I'll admit is more important than actual weight, but once the motor isn't making the 1100 light (slow sidehill or downhill) you really feel it imo.

OBVIOUSLY though, just like track length... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what is PERFECT for one clearly isn't for the next guy. That's what's fun about riding with a crew that knows how to set up sleds, but all have different needs/wants, so each sled is so different. Makes like interesting.

Z
Dec 6, 2007
Edmonton
Once I changed the skid positioning and set up the properly for my riding style, the weight became a non issue. I am not tired by the end of the day and ride anything anywhere. Prior to setting it up I really felt the weight and would get good and stuck on occasion. Now I rock it as good or better than many of the 2 strokes I ride with. Certainly there are things I can do and places I can go that they cannot. One of the most fun sleds I have ever owned.....and there have been a few.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Once I changed the skid positioning and set up the properly for my riding style, the weight became a non issue. I am not tired by the end of the day and ride anything anywhere. Prior to setting it up I really felt the weight and would get good and stuck on occasion. Now I rock it as good or better than many of the 2 strokes I ride with. Certainly there are things I can do and places I can go that they cannot. One of the most fun sleds I have ever owned.....and there have been a few.

Would you mind posting your suspension setup? Thanks

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Not for everyone, I agree

You can do that on the 800 as well though, EASILY. (probably more cost, but total dollar would be similar on a new 800 boosted and an 1100 with 250 hp)

11T, I rode ONE... not gonna claim my one ride was end all be all or anything like that, but the difference was gigantic, both in static weight and felt weight riding. HUGELY better than a Nytro, but still a far cry from what I'm used to.

Now if I was riding a stock 174 with the limiters pulled in, the 1100 in comparison isn't that heavy, shoot, I can take the same M8 & make it feel 100 lbs heavier in 5 minutes, or make it feel lighter... setup I'll admit is more important than actual weight, but once the motor isn't making the 1100 light (slow sidehill or downhill) you really feel it imo.

OBVIOUSLY though, just like track length... beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what is PERFECT for one clearly isn't for the next guy. That's what's fun about riding with a crew that knows how to set up sleds, but all have different needs/wants, so each sled is so different. Makes like interesting.[/QUOTE

You sound like my Brother. An exceptionally gifted Mountain rider, not a big guy, but definitely capable of riding this machine anywhere. He won't have anything to do with a 4S. Its not his thing!

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--The new Yamaha turbo motors coming out in 2015 or 2016 should be better balanced and a lot lighter

-- a superbike laydown style triple cylinder(with Indy style crank),35 lbs lighter(no counterbalance), turboed(side mount), more weight centralized, 4s

--just a guess, but probably will have about 50% less of the 1100t 4s feel -- a mid level between the 800 and the 1100T as far as handling difference -- with a bunch more power and a screaming triple

Bring it On!

D
Oct 22, 2008
Longview WA
So I have a 13 xm been trolling the 1100t forum as maybe my next sled an the wfe get the XM. All sleds are heavy when stuck! I ride a crf450x an a buddy has a ktm 250exc I ride his exc which is 40 pounds lighter an it bounces all over the place, 450 just plows thru. Now I ride concrete wet snow I like the xm but long term durability. So more weight an more power just don't get stuck right?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
.[/QUOTE

You sound like my Brother. exceptionally gifted

Yeah... people are always talking about how gifted I am. I thought it was supposed to be a compliment??? :D

far-side-school-for-gifted.jpg

HAHAHA!!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Radar78

Lifetime Membership
Aug 20, 2010
Dundurn Sask. Canada
Yeah... people are always talking about how gifted I am. I thought it was supposed to be a compliment??? :D

far-side-school-for-gifted.jpg

HAHAHA!!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

HAHA! That's funny stuff. I'm the kind of guy that never bashes anybody's choice in sled as long as they are having fun. In all honesty though, I secretly bash the 4 stroke guys in my mind but truth be told, I would love to take a well setup 1100T for a ride just to see for myself!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
HAHA! That's funny stuff. I'm the kind of guy that never bashes anybody's choice in sled as long as they are having fun. In all honesty though, I secretly bash the 4 stroke guys in my mind but truth be told, I would love to take a well setup 1100T for a ride just to see for myself!

Yeah man, not gonna lie, I'd like to feel a SERIOUSLY well wet up 1100T some time. I helped the guy with the stock one I rode set his up better, made it feel much lighter & more friendly, but I'd love to ride one with some real weight taken off, and some serious power.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I couldn't tell the difference between my 2010 m8 and 2013 1100 turbo. The power difference was insane!

That pretty much says enough. There isn't a single place on snow anywhere that I could honestly say I can't feel the weight difference. Light weight is different. If your riding style consists of on throttle maneuvers and not so much off throttle then I can kinda see that, like point and shoot. I would think its a great sled but to say you can't tell the difference is just mind blowing to me.

So before you come off as saying who cares!!
Why don't you ask why we care!!
I ride circles around the 11t on steep hills loaded with trees on a stock 8. I'm practically the pick up crew by myself on a stocker riding with a bunch of turbos and most of the time when I do get stuck they can't get to me.
You may think I'm cocky but consider, for the riders that are at that level, why we don't all ride 11t's?? just something to consider. I'm not bashing your ride or your style, you do whats best for you. I'm cool with it, just don't bash mine.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I'm not bashing your ride or your style, you do whats best for you. I'm cool with it, just don't bash mine.

Wyo, Remember you are in the 1100 forum. He didn't come into the 800 forum and say anything. Also i feel that with learning throttle control on the 1100 t you can stay into the throttle all the time to keep the front light. Throttle control is 100% different on a 4 stroke than a two.

we just need snow!

Premium Features