• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cleaning exhaust valves,Do I have a problem

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Decided to clean my exhaust valves, have 1100 miles on my 13 Pro RMK, at about 500 to 700 miles notice my idle had dropped off by about 100 + rpm, and seem to idle a little rougher, especially when first started, Sled does seem to still run strong. I ride with 3 other 13 Pro's and they all have a much smother Idle and just sound a little different. Pulled the mag side first and it had a lot of carbon, much more then I had ever seen before on other sleds, it was built mostly between the vale and the vale body, looked inside at the piston and rings and it was wet with oil and the rings seem to set further back in the grove making them harder to see, their was a very miner score line off to one side on the piston but not bad, I took off the clutch side and it looked normal, piston was clean, rings easy to see, no scoring, just normal. The plug on the mag side might be a little darker then the other one but not by much, and the hole from the valve body to the case was not plugged. Should I be concerned?

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Decided to clean my exhaust valves, have 1100 miles on my 13 Pro RMK, at about 500 to 700 miles notice my idle had dropped off by about 100 + rpm, and seem to idle a little rougher, especially when first started, Sled does seem to still run strong. I ride with 3 other 13 Pro's and they all have a much smother Idle and just sound a little different. Pulled the mag side first and it had a lot of carbon, much more then I had ever seen before on other sleds, it was built mostly between the vale and the vale body, looked inside at the piston and rings and it was wet with oil and the rings seem to set further back in the grove making them harder to see, their was a very miner score line off to one side on the piston but not bad, I took off the clutch side and it looked normal, piston was clean, rings easy to see, no scoring, just normal. The plug on the mag side might be a little darker then the other one but not by much, and the hole from the valve body to the case was not plugged. Should I be concerned?

A couple of picks.

13 valves 001.jpg 13 valves 007.jpg

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Polaris Ves gold plus, checked several times and running at 60:1, always have run premium non Ethanol gas. the first pick is the mag side the other side is a little oily on the valve but like I said the rings and piston on that side look just fine ???

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Or Amsoil Interceptor. Here's a pic of my PTO valve after 700 or so miles - nothing but Interceptor at around 42:1 and non-eth fuel plus some oil mixed with the fuel. Disregard the oil film as I started it long enough to reach about 80* to back it out of the trailer and into the garage.

E54AEC3B-E063-4F26-8C01-75DD9D282C8E-705-000001C176477F6D_zps27cf8a63.jpg

06146934-F6A5-4CE8-A050-E4BEFFBD5CE2-705-000001C16B97118A_zps515e470e.jpg

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
While my pto side is not as clean as yours it was not bad, most of it wiped right off with a rag, did not think it was to bad for 1100 miles, the pic of that side makes it look a lot worse then it is, as far as the mag side goes, the pick makes it look better then it really is, just thought it was odd that one side would be so different from the other.

S
Dec 8, 2012
ND
I've owned a lot of Polaris sleds in the past and the valves were pretty dirty with VES Gold oil, but I liked to use their oil under warranty, just my $.02.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I've owned a lot of Polaris sleds in the past and the valves were pretty dirty with VES Gold oil, but I liked to use their oil under warranty, just my $.02.

They can not deny a warranty claim based off what brand of oil you used unless they can PROVE that that brand of oil DID cause said failure. Magnusson-Moss Act

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Doing that next , had to stop for awhile and take care of other business
Will get back to sled tomorrow. Will post if I find one plugged dose make sense
Though with the way one side is different from the other.

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Looks like maybe that valve isn't opening fully, I would check your spring, and your diaphragm for damage...

Premium Features