• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

This blowing belts is getting old!

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
I feel for ya,after four belts in 200 miles all updates done dealer said it must be the rider,sold it bought a pro.450 miles on the pro still on the first belt..must not be the rider:face-icon-small-sho

T
Nov 18, 2010
Fort McMurray A.B
I had the same problem 400 miles 4 belts I went with a XS809 belt its a little longer put 200 miles on it In 3feet of powder and its still holding up and it looks good .Just added a team secondary That should help bring down the belt temp never tested it yet.

R

ReaperMotorsports

Mar 19, 2009
Mantorville, Minnesota
My first trip this year I was using a belt a day. Tried the XS809 and blew that the next day. Side panel fitment and the stock belt gaurd was letting snow and water to melt onto the clutches. So when I got back I fixed the way the side panels fit, adding braces, weatherstrip, etc. I made a new belt guard that is now one piece with alot less areas for snow to drip down onto the clutches. Then I bought a team secondary and through that other one in the corner of the shop. My sled also has the jackshaft support and engine snubber. 2nd trip didnt use a single belt and the one on it looks good still after 5 days of riding in deeper snow than the first trip. Hope some of that helps you figure it out as I was frustrated too. And for the team secondary cost its worth the try.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
I feel for you guys that are blowing belts I have about 750 miles on my sled and have been running the bc275 kit on it all season and still have the factory belt on it that still looks brand new. You guys are more than welcome to come take measurements or see what cat did different to mine to help it not eat belts!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I feel for you guys that are blowing belts I have about 750 miles on my sled and have been running the bc275 kit on it all season and still have the factory belt on it that still looks brand new. You guys are more than welcome to come take measurements or see what cat did different to mine to help it not eat belts!

Personally I think a lot of it is quality control, some clutch's turned out good some didn't, like poo motors or 6.0L fords.
In '13 they tightened the tolerances, in '14 they are heat treating differently, probably because they found there was to much variation from one to the next.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--So maybe guys that are blowing belts should get their dealers to warranty out of tolerance clutches and hope for a good set next time around -- seems like Cat would work with those that are having issues

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
--So maybe guys that are blowing belts should get their dealers to warranty out of tolerance clutches and hope for a good set next time around -- seems like Cat would work with those that are having issues

If it where that easy I would have already, maybe now they will but not much luck in the past

D
Nov 30, 2007
as i am looking to get one of these next season, your opinions would be what for getting this belt issue fixed on warranty? With the known issues why arent the belts covered under warranty, i know they usually arent but this is a pretty big issue!

J
Nov 27, 2007
belt warranty

I guaranty you if they did warranty the belts and damage caused cat would have a fix. If i actually ride my cat I would need 3-4 belts a ride..
Team secondary helped a ton but didnt completely solve

evos longer belt also helped but I still get slippage at full throttle

Its either the primary or all the movement with the floating jackshaft. as for warranty of primary they are backordered. julio

Last edited:
N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
as i am looking to get one of these next season, your opinions would be what for getting this belt issue fixed on warranty? With the known issues why arent the belts covered under warranty, i know they usually arent but this is a pretty big issue!

Just buy mine, I can't blow a belt and have tried my azz off. Still got a year of Cat Care left too. Had my clutches checked and clearanced and both were spot on, but did have to update bushings this year as the old ones were fried.

psychosledder73

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Fernie BC
Wellmy 2012's belt yesterday turned 1510 miles after a 85 mile day of hard deep full throttle climbing and handlebar deep boondocking. Not even a pulled cord. It must be a good one lol. It has though snapped a jackshaft on pto side. The 2013 has been flawless also in the belt department

J
Nov 27, 2007
Wellmy 2012's belt yesterday turned 1510 miles after a 85 mile day of hard deep full throttle climbing and handlebar deep boondocking. Not even a pulled cord. It must be a good one lol. It has though snapped a jackshaft on pto side. The 2013 has been flawless also in the belt department

never sell that sled!!! julio

M
Mar 13, 2013
the main issue of blowing the belts is heat, pure and simple. The belt and secondary isnt the issue either. The fixes arcitc Cat has done has made the belt issue worse if not better. Pull that plastic spacer out of the secondary, that just limits the sheath from fully opening, causing the belt to act like a rubber band.

The heat issue is caused by the Belt slipping obviously. The primary clutch needs help. Its not completely junk by any means. My sled had very little miles on it when I was able to find a solution WITHOUT blowing a belt and losing my A$$ The difference is ridiculous. Now my sled wants to yank my arms off from the instant torque hit because the belt ISNT slipping.

Give this guy a call, 810-966-5094 ext 6, His name is roger. There is a few of us with his setup and its fantastic. Be skeptical all you want, but taking action and just fixing the dang thing is better than wasting money on belts and praying that Arctic Cat is going to fix their Screw ups. With out that stock set up slipping, you will really feel the true power these sleds have.

-Mega

C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
That's really to bad to hear. I have a 2012 M11 turbo and just broke 1000 miles on the sled still with my factory belt. Put 580 miles in over two weeks of 3+ feet of fresh powder and I was VERY throttle happy! But the other 420 miles on riding a little more settled snow on my last trip out west. A lot of climbing and once again a lot of throttle!lets just put it this way.... I would run my sled till my tank ram out of gas, then would put my 3.5 spare gallons of fuel in and would burn almost all the way trough that tank before The 2012 pro and 2013 Doo XM would be running low on there tank of gas. I was sure when I had 580 miles on my sled before I left for my last trip that my belt was just a time bomb waiting to blow. Luckily it looks like my sled isn't a belt eater! I would be irate if I was blowing belts as often as we've all heard a lot of guys are. I guess what it comes down to is either you're lucky with the sled cat gives you... Or your not.

Premium Features