• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turning the 1100T into crazy boondocking sled. HOW?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
...................Anyone who knows who Glen Hall can search what he's been doing with this motor. Reliable mid 300's with studs.

Glen was along with us when we did our test mule demo, and he was eyeing up how to stuff a bigger turbo and fuel rail in the new chassis...... No wonder he wins so many races, he might weigh a buck thirty, soaking wet. Nice guy though!

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
I must admit I am looking forward to next winter all the debate will have to do for 7 or 8 months.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
I agree with you but it Sounds like a statement someone would make that never rode a turbo,

I admit - I've never ridden a turbo. I live/drive around 1000ft so we do not have any 2t turbo sleds around here. Luckily :D Some turbo-yammies we have but... Pal has slightly improved M1000 and the power is awesome but it feels too easy to drive :D

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Even a NA sled that puts out more power than a turbo on low boost is just different, I don't know why but it lets you get away with a lot more and give you confidence to do things you wouldn't imagine on real boost. Kinda like a gas pickup vs a diesel, they both may go down the road just as fast as the other but when you put the diesel to work it blows the freakin doors off a gaser. Even though its totally different there is something to be said about boost on a sled.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4Yzy9BHUo

Heres the video from our ride. My memory card on my helmet cam was full when I finally took the 800 in the tight trees. here ya go anyways. enjoy

Thanks for the vid Chris - Question, what is the deal with the "steam" coming from the vents when riding the T1100?
Hopefully that is not always the case?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the vid Chris - Question, what is the deal with the "steam" coming from the vents when riding the T1100?
Hopefully that is not always the case?

I believe it was the coolant bottle was leaking like crazy. Bret ended up taking it back to his trailer.

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Thanks for the clarification guys on the T1100 steam issue.
Glad that would not be a situation on the production sleds on a normal basis.

I'm thinking of snow checking a T1100 Sno-Pro, also concerned about the break-in, as a season of mountain/backcountry riding out here is 300-400 miles for our crew.
Would need to be able to throttle up that 4 stroke and not be concerned about a long term trail riding break in.

Thanks for the insight, it helps since we have no demos and I missed the road show out here.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
I plan to follow this break in precedure. I am guessing that the computer still will not release full hp from the ecu for a few hundred miles but should still be good. If you understand motors this precedure should make good sense.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

me too...and I don't even understand motors. just I just know u put the smelly explosive liquid in the hole pull the cordy thing that leaves black marks on yer coat and then smoke comes out that one hole on the side. pure magic.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
ride it like you stole it and make sure not to use additives or synthetics. I built a motor years back and used one of the best additives I have ever found thinking it would help, took 20,000miles on a 327ci to stop smoking or at least not as noticeable. learned the hard way.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
1 tank break in is all that is needed these days.

The manufacturing tolerences these days being so precise and consistent, the old way of breaking in is just plain not needed............

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Well i finally got to see them. Impressive! I don't see what all the whining was about. The 1100 was easier to pull around than i expected. The 800'was such a breeze to pull over tho and that's hard to ignore. The promise of big easy power from the 1100t is still haunting me but I think there will be an 800'on the trailer. Now to figure out which one. That hcr looked good but I wonder how those short coolers will work on a Ice road. The reps say if the hcr coolers work they will be on all the Ms. They claim it keeps about 15 lbs of snow off the tunnel.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
seen the m1100t at a show yesterday. very heavy in the front compared to the m1000 and it definitely needs vertical steering. the m8 snopro with adjustable steering actually has a really firm steering post. not sloppy at all like when it was on the older m's. see how they work out for this next winter for all that ordered one.

F
Jan 2, 2009
N. 208
lighten them ****tz

I'm not sure where the 40# weight loss is, but a reliable source told me that it is easily shed. I would guess can is a major part of it.

800 162 snopro is 470# add 66# of fuel, and 4# of oil. 540#+/-

easy of course....lottery style, buy $6,000 of Ti parts nuts and bolts, lose the can for $300, and spend another $4,000 on aftermarket suspension, seat, skis, throttle cable, and handwarmers if it doesn't come with 'em, and you'll have a light weight tank with sweet H.P. that will last until you hit a tree.:face-icon-small-coo

T

TNytro162

Feb 6, 2011
Northern Colorado
So I really like the idea of the 1100 Turbo but I love riding tight technical trees. The first thing I would do is put the vertical steering post on. What would be some good ideas to make this sled into a bad a$$ boondocker. What to do to ligthen her up a bit to where its closer to the 800.
When I first started reading this post all I saw was negative crap. I couldn't even fininsh it got so bad all the bickering. I think you can get some weight off Chris and your pleasently going to be supprised how well it's going to do. Your gonna love that power at 8,000 10,000 12,000 feet that you would never have with a 800N/A sled. Go for it!!!!! and this is comming from one of those "horrible" Yamaha Nytro sled guys.
With MCX power and what you can do for weight loss on one of these makes all the diff plus a brand new front end that is suppose to be night and day in the way the Nytro handles and it's just not saving weight. It changes the geometry making sidehilling day and night comared to stock. Cant wait for next season.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
How to make the impossible possible

So I really like the idea of the 1100 Turbo but I love riding tight technical trees. The first thing I would do is put the vertical steering post on. What would be some good ideas to make this sled into a bad a$$ boondocker. What to do to ligthen her up a bit to where its closer to the 800.

Weighed the 2012 162 le 1100t and here is the break down do what you will with these numbers. There real and have videos to prove it,

Dry 554
Less seat 543
Less exhaust can 525
Less the battery 512
Less hood and side panels 490 lbs

Add 2 pounds back for light weight battery 492
Add2.5 for light weight seat 495
Add 10 back fir carbon fibre hood panels airbox 505 dry.

Ours Is getting full carbon chassey, tank and skid . We will have it hanging from our scale in the showroom at 450lbs with 250 hp by sept 1. I think c3 is taking deposits on the different combinations available. Tank and battery option would save 20lbs. At any rate it will inexpensive relative to other projects to get your 1100turbo around 500 lbs. Enjoy

Premium Features