• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Y-pipe cracked in half

K

Klimbing Kitty

IMG_6448.jpg

Now is it common for Y pipe to crack? Is it because of the solid 2 spring loaded clamp mount, or just a weak factory pipe? Cat has none in stock for a couple of weeks, and a 2009 will not fit a 2010. Is the D&D turbo Y-pipe stronger? or any other aftermarket?

Cheers

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
your exhaust driven impeller in your turbo is ready to pack it in and its sending the imbalance that is being created back to the weakest link...you are lucky,usually the bearing will bust piston skirts...so replace your turbo asap...!!!....ps i will give you 50 bucks for the turbo...lol..

K

Klimbing Kitty

your exhaust driven impeller in your turbo is ready to pack it in and its sending the imbalance that is being created back to the weakest link...you are lucky,usually the bearing will bust piston skirts...so replace your turbo asap...!!!....ps i will give you 50 bucks for the turbo...lol..

hhaaahhahahahahahahahah post man does not deliver up there. You going to sled this year? I will be back up there at the end of Feb.:D

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
..l sleded a fair bit last year...just stayed local though...but yep now i am somewhat mobile so i will make a few trips to the summit/fantail...really would love to get to spruce creek atlin....but gee so little snow around home...

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
Cats Y pipes and pipes welds are far from consistant. Ive seen lots of stock Cat pipes with factory welds that have leaked on stock sleds with no boost. Never assume they are good from the factory. BTW TIG weld would be your best fix.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Looks to be a harmonic vibration and heat issue from the more solid attachment. Just weld it up and pay close attention to it! This is an aftermarket one isn't it? Don't see the V stamping of the stocker. May be thinner sheet metal and will fatigue faster.

Mike

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
Looks to be a harmonic vibration and heat issue from the more solid attachment. Just weld it up and pay close attention to it! This is an aftermarket one isn't it? Don't see the V stamping of the stocker. May be thinner sheet metal and will fatigue faster.

Mike

The 2010 stock y pipe doesn't have the V in it.

Premium Features