• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche/radio interference axys

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am in the middle of an American Avalanche Association's level 1 Snowmobile Specific Avalanche Course and special mention has also been made of the unusual electrical interference that comes from the Axys wiring harness with transceivers.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Just bought BCA radio's and my son's Axys is causing all these symptoms when anyone with a BCA radio is riding it. Has anyone found a fix or a work around?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Went to an avy awareness class taught by Mike Duffy (Avalanche1). He stated that cell phones need to be turned off at all times unless making a call or sending a text, then turn it back off. He said that even though it may be in "airplane mode" the GPS feature is still working and cause interference.

He also mentioned the Axys sleds with the PIDD, that they will cause interference because of the GPS feature and that it can take up to 30 seconds after shutting the sled down for the GPS to stop....

alstar

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
North of Duluth, MN
We had the same interference happening when riding on an 2016 SKS. I contacted BCA and they sent a new mic to us (he said they have determined it had something to do with the spark plugs). They stated that a new mic has resolved most cases of this happening. If it doesn't help they are willing to make it right. We have yet had a chance to see if the new mic worked but will let you know if it does.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Its not just axys, its all sleds. You have to move about 5 feet away from a running sled to pick up max flux lines with the beacons. We demo this in all the classes we teach.
Use the sled to get to the avy, then shut off the sled and use your feet. Do not ride across avy to pick up flux lines as your sled could interfere with the transmission

As far as radios go, I have had the same BCA radio for the last 4 years. It squawked bad with my 16 axys. 17,18 axys had zero issues with the squawking. One sled in our group (all 2018 axys) will set off everyones radios. Not sure what the deal is as its same set up as everybody elses...

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
For those of you having interference issues, how many different channels have you tried and have you seen a difference between the high wattage channels and the low wattage channels?????
17 and 18 Axys here both riders with BCA radios. I had a lot of interference with the 17 on lower channels. We tried 7.1 initially and kept going up until noise went away. We were in the 18.? channels when it finally got quiet. My son had noise on his 18 axys as well. I have the std. gauge and he has the fancy one or whatever it's called.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
We found a new one the other day when doing range checks with our transceivers. A “Fitbit watch” cut the range of the guys tracker 3 by almost 50%.

A few guys were complaining that i made them do the transceiver checks, but their eyes sure opened after we saw that....

EVERYTIME you ride, spend 5 minutes making sure everyone knows how to put in search mode, range check, and check transmit/search modes. It is the only way to know if you have something on that is interfering as well.

As for the axys with pidd, we found that we needed to be 6 feet away for our tracker 3s to work effectively.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Admins, is there a way for this to be place in avalanche equipment and/or general forum as well as this forum?

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I have an update. I ordered a set up motorcycle helmet speakers that plug into the headphone jack on the mic of the BCA radio. We plugged in the speakers started the sled and wrote it for a short distance with no interference or static. At least it’s bearable now even though we have to have speakers in the helmet.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I have a theory but first a question to anyone that has noticed this:

Were any of the sleds that were causing this equipped with E-Start or running a battery?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I hopped on my buddies 16 axys yesterday and my bca was squawking the whole time. His has the standard gauge and no e-start. I've never got interference on my cat. I wonder what is so special with the axys to produce so much interference

Premium Features