• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me '01 RMK 800 prep

S
Feb 6, 2017
SE Idaho
Long time trail sled guy here, now my first old RMK.

Its a clean "01 RMK 800. Been reading up all I can on them.

I know all the usual grease, lube, tighten stuff.

Gonna replace all fuel lines including in tank. What advice I am looking for is typical trouble spots on this model sled.

Sounds like motor mounts and water pump belt are common.

Any other typical items to get right before damage occures ?

Any place I can view on line for a service manual and jetting, clutching specs for altitudes ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated ! :)

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Do a search for crankshaft related issues on the 800 to familiarize yourself.

In a nutshell, the PTO side of the crankshaft was prone to failure around the 3000 mile mark.

Running a worn out / unbalanced primary clutch combined with inadequate engine warm ups seemed to have increased the likelihood of failure.

You can remove the primary & perform a run-out check on the outer portion of the crankshaft taper. If more than .003" you are operating on borrowed time.

Several sled engine shops, such as Indy Specialties, offered PTO bearing upgrades intended to prevent the failures.

Long time trail sled guy here, now my first old RMK.

Its a clean "01 RMK 800. Been reading up all I can on them.

I know all the usual grease, lube, tighten stuff.

Gonna replace all fuel lines including in tank. What advice I am looking for is typical trouble spots on this model sled.

Sounds like motor mounts and water pump belt are common.

Any other typical items to get right before damage occures ?

Any place I can view on line for a service manual and jetting, clutching specs for altitudes ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated ! :)

Premium Features