• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso 280 track on XM

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Aug 8, 2011
So I am running the new lightweight 280 track in 174 length on my t3 174 sled.

When I put the track on I felt like it just didn't build ground speed in the soft snow very well. But I figured it just needed to break it. It pulled like an animal in a track or on a road. And on one day in late October it was June type snow...sopping wet, setup. Pulled good then too.

I now have 400 miles with the track. It just feels like it won't push the sled to any ground speed in soft snow. With my old t3 track, when I hit the throttle it would trench some but the skis would come up and the sled would head forward. After I was on the throttle for a brief period of time the sled would be planing and building speed. With the 280 the motor bellows and strains but it won't lift out of its trench. It now acts like a boat that wont plane. track speed is down on a typical climb from the old t3 track. I am chaulking that up to trenching deeper at any given point in the hill. You have to let off and coax it up on the snow...which can't be done when the sled is really having to work.

To get the sled to have any fun factor I had to loosen the limiter 2 notches from where I was running it with the t3 track. Or the skis were just planted, it would not loft the skis, just settle the rear of the sled.

It's strange to explain, but at any given point with the 280 track on the sled, I feel like the rear of the sled is deeper in the snow.

Skid is in good working order. I have tried a couple different clutch setups and a couple different gearing packages.

What's the deal? Anyone else having any issues with it? Or I am all alone..

Thanks

Jake

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership

From the sounds of it you traveled back in time. 2007 ski-doo summit XRS stiffer paddle worked great in spring snow but would get beat in the powder by the 07 800 non x package with the older 06 summit x track. I personally have never ran or seen the 280 but from what your describing paddles are just a bit to stiff. Put the stock track back on and maybe talk to someone about porting the track to lose some weight.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah

When I put the track on I felt like it just didn't build ground speed in the soft snow very well. But I figured it just needed to break it. It pulled like an animal in a track or on a road. And on one day in late October it was June type snow...sopping wet, setup. Pulled good then too.

I now have 400 miles with the track. It just feels like it won't push the sled to any ground speed in soft snow. With my old t3 track, when I hit the throttle it would trench some but the skis would come up and the sled would head forward. After I was on the throttle for a brief period of time the sled would be planing and building speed. With the 280 the motor bellows and strains but it won't lift out of its trench. It now acts like a boat that wont plane. track speed is down on a typical climb from the old t3 track. I am chaulking that up to trenching deeper at any given point in the hill. You have to let off and coax it up on the snow...which can't be done when the sled is really having to work.

To get the sled to have any fun factor I had to loosen the limiter 2 notches from where I was running it with the t3 track. Or the skis were just planted, it would not loft the skis, just settle the rear of the sled.

It's strange to explain, but at any given point with the 280 track on the sled, I feel like the rear of the sled is deeper in the snow.

Skid is in good working order. I have tried a couple different clutch setups and a couple different gearing packages.

Thanks

Jake

I had the same track on my 15 t-3 163, I had the same issue with it so I took it back off. It worked well at slow speed or on setup snow or in a track but in the powder it was a trenching sob, I'm running a power claw 3" now but snow has went to concrete so I can't tell if it's better but the cats I rode with were much better than my doo with the 280

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have a 2014 T3 174. Rode a couple weeks ago in 3-4' of new snow here in the WA Cascades. I noticed exactly what you were talking about with the stock track. Pin it from slow speed and the sled trenches and stayed that way unless you backed off a little on the throttle and then the sled came right up on top of the snow. May be more of a sled characteristic than a track. Buddy made the same comment on his 850 165-3". A little throttle control goes a long way on the Doo.

T
Aug 8, 2011
I had the same track on my 15 t-3 163, I had the same issue with it so I took it back off. It worked well at slow speed or on setup snow or in a track but in the powder it was a trenching sob, I'm running a power claw 3" now but snow has went to concrete so I can't tell if it's better but the cats I rode with were much better than my doo with the 280

Ya anything that even looks soft....she's a trencher it seems.

Matte, I'm with you on the throttle control deal but I had 1800 miles on the sled with the stock track and never had the issues I'm having now..

We have had some strange snow here in the northwest and I was pretty well chalking my issues up to that until last weekend. Last weekend the 163 sleds had half the trench depth that my 174 did...that was the final straw.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Ya anything that even looks soft....she's a trencher it seems.

Matte, I'm with you on the throttle control deal but I had 1800 miles on the sled with the stock track and never had the issues I'm having now..

We have had some strange snow here in the northwest and I was pretty well chalking my issues up to that until last weekend. Last weekend the 163 sleds had half the trench depth that my 174 did...that was the final straw.

Ya it's just not a good powder hill climbing track. It works well for the trees and sidehilling, places where your not under full power, but suffers in the deep soft snow. Seems to get too much traction or something. Maybe the the 3.5 pitch Tracks are better with less paddles but seems like most guys are seeing what saw with it.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY

I'm loving the Cat track. I put one on my 154 XM this season and it's a monster in our snow. Initially it was a trenching SOB but I've tamed that with scissor relocate and cranking the torsions to 5. Now it's controlable but still playful if you step back a bit on the boards.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013

Thanks

Jake
Thought I would chime in because it is a track thing not a brand thing. I bought the 280 X 174 for my turbo Axys. I had the exact same results as what your having. Took off the 280 and went to the 174x3 X3. Day and night difference. Ive said it on other threads. The 280 might be a great spring track but does NOT work in deep powder.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Jammed an x3.2 174 on it. Been on the sled 2 days now. Night and day difference. The 280 is not in the same league as the 3.2 in anything resembling soft snow.

The two days I have on the 3.2 are in settled powder. Not blower powder or waist deep or anything. Just nice snow in McCall. 3.2 is miles better than the 280

I would go so far as to say I was ripped off by camso on the 280 deal. Their early claims about that track are out and out BS, it does not perform as advertised. Remember all the claims of how well it's lifts on the snow? Right...

lancelarue

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Valdez, Alaska
Tracks

To dig, grab and displace snow takes a lot of hp.
Sled will want to move forward AS LONG AS THERE IS A STIFF BASE UNDERNEATH. Otherwise, will just try and dig, which is what a lot of these track are designed for. I'm talking as in you can see it in the roost behind. Over the years it's been interesting in the different designs tried.
Here's what I've seen in my opinion for what it's worth:
The staggered pattern as in a Cat Power Claw etc. Conquest 280 offers unbelievable hookup AS LONG AS THERE IS A SOLID BASE UNDERNEATH, if there isn't, it's going down to try and find it! On the other end of the spectrum take a Polaris track / Skidoo track, name your poison which one, will typically try and PACK snow and still give lift in deep snow. This track design thing has been going round and round for years but some things don't change, that is types of snow!
The "digger tracks", for lack of a better description, all work on the same concept. In the right conditions they are unbelievable. I just don't want to be following one as you could hide a football team in the trench if it's deep snow with no reachable base.
Another thing, anyone who has done a lot of clutching will know what I mean when I say the "digger tracks" eat up a ton of horsepower trying to MOVE ALL the snow, instead of trying to pack it. This = lower track speeds in the pull.
In set up snow diggers are impressive, other than that, no thanks.

T
Aug 8, 2011
Yessir that is what I noticed. Rather than pull up on the snow and build ground speed, the 280 would just leave a trench for as long as I was on the gas.

Rode our stock t3 with stock track in deep snow today...that track kills the 280, but does not build ground speed like the 3.2

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Well this is excellent news.....not in that the track doesn't work well, but that people are giving honest reviews. Unlike some paid spokespeople that have been running them all year singing their praises. Thanks for the reviews.

M

Meyersnow

Feb 8, 2015
Breckenridge
So what is the ideal track then?

I'm really glad to read this post. I won't be getting the 280. What is the optimum stock track replacement for a t3 163? I like my current track, missing about 10 lugs now, and will have to get something eventually. Would like to get something without the flex edge. Thoughts?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Track

I'm really glad to read this post. I won't be getting the 280. What is the optimum stock track replacement for a t3 163? I like my current track, missing about 10 lugs now, and will have to get something eventually. Would like to get something without the flex edge. Thoughts?

I was running the 280, i pulled it off and now im runnimg the power claw and really like it

R
Mar 9, 2017
stillwater MN
thanks

Well this is excellent news.....not in that the track doesn't work well, but that people are giving honest reviews. Unlike some paid spokespeople that have been running them all year singing their praises. Thanks for the reviews.

Who would lead his fellow snowmobilers astray to line his pockets? I almost bit the bullet after seeing the video but stuck with the heavy, durable, x3 instead. My buddy endorsed the x3 by kicking my butt in the trees and all he got out of it was a big smile!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Ya I'm gonna stay happy with my X3, CE 2.5 and Cat 2.6" for now. The sleds don't need new tracks with the results what they are after a year in consumer hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
It's simple.

Stiff, straight lugs trench in powder but hook in spring snow.

Softer, laid back paddles work in powder but not too well in spring snow.

A good combo is the Powerclaw or the stocker paddle tracks that are decently stiff, but give a bit.

Best powder track I've been around? Attack 20. However, in anything but powder, it was junk (including downhills), but it worked awesome in powder and really lifted up and got on top of the snow.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
The weight difference just had me hoping it would be enough to swap over on all my sleds. 10lbs of mass off the biggest power robber in our drivetrain is a huge jump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Figured I'd throw my 2 cents in. I swapped out my 3" Doo track on my turbo 850 this year to a Conquer 280, based solely on Camso's claims and it being a nice weight loss also. The first trip out with it I immediately noticed it was a trencher. I complained a little and was told that I should give it a few hundred miles to let it "break in". So I did. Now remember, this is on a great running turbo 850 with lots of lightweight goodies and a KMod skid that was setup correctly. This thing should have jumped up on the snow and railed. It did not. I put about 500 miles on that 280 and got to the point I almost couldn't believe how bad it trenched. I was in all kinds of snow too. Bottomless dry pow to heavy wet western concrete, and it trenched through it all. I thought maybe it would be good in some setup snow with how stiff it was too... but I think my extra track speed just turned that thing into a chainsaw. No amount of throttle control could make it quit either. I remember one specific time I was crawling out of a steep creek bed in warm setup snow, which didn't have a great base underneath I'll admit, but I just creeped out over the lip of that creek side under WOT. When I crested the hill it was FLAT, like pancake floating on the ocean flat, so I let off thinking that the trackspeed would drop and the sled would climb back up on top of the snow as it slowed... it didn't. It was like that 280 had sawed through the top crust and was just pulling the rear of the sled down to china, ON FLAT GROUND. I blipped the throttle 5 times each time letting the track spin down to zero and it still wouldn't surface. Craziest thing I've ever witnessed lol. Needless to say I found a guy that would swap me my 280 for a stock Doo 3" and am switching it back. That track is WAY over hyped IMO. I love how light it is, but the lugs on that track are just way too stiff and being cupped on top of that, it just moves snow out from under your sled and won't stop. It shouldn't be called a track, it should be called a snow evacuater.

PS I sold the 850 turbo now and am going with a Mtn Cat with the 3" PC. The last sled I had with a PC was a 2.6" in a turbo Pro and that thing was downright hard to get stuck. The PC just makes perfect sense to me. The fingers on the outside bite for sidehilling and spring snow and the Attack 20 inside paddles pack the snow up underneath the center of the track when it's dry and deep. I would have loved to try that Impulse 850 with a 3" PC, but my sled ADD kicked in and here we are lol.

Premium Features