• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1996 summit

R
Dec 2, 2009
Granby, CO
hey, just picked up a 96 summit 670 and wondered if you guys had any clue how i could tweek, modify or improve the suspension and track on this sled. we'd love to put a track on with bigger lugs. any clue where i could find something like this? we've got a 16 year old kid that's gonna start riding with us and we wanna put him on this sled and teach him how to really ride the powder! any tips pictures or ideas are greatly appreciated! thanks!

R
Dec 28, 2007
Eagle, ID
Not sure about tweaking the suspension, but fox shocks all the way around and stiffer springs in the rear made the sled much more fun to ride.

Best thing we ever did with those S-chassis Summits was take off the DPM and straight jet them to your elevation. Made a big difference in power.

Z
Jan 19, 2008
Wrangell, AK
"Best thing we ever did with those S-chassis Summits was take off the DPM and straight jet them to your elevation. Made a big difference in power."

Agreed! But on the '96 they had HAC. A MUCH simpler system, and easy to take off. I replied in a post detailing a step-by-step procedure for removing it. It WILL make the sled run much crisper, and save you money on plugs! lol

As for suspension, the stock summit SC-10 leaves ALOT to be desired. The weight transfer alone is enough to scare the crap out of a newbe. Don't waste your time looking for better shocks. Money better spent would be hunting around for a newer style skid-frame. In one of my sleds, I installed a (gasp!) Arctic-Crap skid from a '00 600 Mountain Cat. Night and day difference. I also installed a good set of front shocks. LOVE the suspension on that sled now. It just BEGS to be airborne...

For a bigger lug track, you are left with one of two options-

Hard way - find a drop and roll kit. (good luck, hard to find as of late) royal pain-in-the-butt to install, but you get to keep the factory 9-tooth drivers, and get a marginally better angle of attack.

Easy way - go to 8-tooth drivers. Only problem with that, is the smaller drivers have a habit of racheting pretty bad under load. You can tighten the track to compensate, but you lose performance. An 8-tooth extrovert would probably be your best bet if you install a fully-clipped track.

O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Nothing wrong with the HAC system, our 98 has it and I cannot imagine it running any better, but I did downsize the main jets 2 sizes because the baseline was too rich, the 670 is very crisp, gets decent fuel mileage,has never fouled a plug and will run up over 90 mph with a 2 inch track on it.

Premium Features