• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 800 Axys RMK Break-in

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
The owners manual mentions a 18 hr oil enrichment period. The owners manual for a 2016 model does not mention the 18 oil enrichment period. Did that actually occur on 2016 models and they neglected to mention it or is this new to 2017 sleds?

I had thoughts of adding a pipe after 3 hrs of engine break-in and 100 miles for quick drive belt but if the engine is broke-in after 3 hr, why the 18 hr of extra oil?

Cinno

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
That's interesting. I know there was some confusion last year about oil break in. The manual said to add a certain amount to the tank. The problem was that the dealers were supposed to add the oil. So you could end up with 2X the oil. Maybe they stressed the dealers do the oil add and leave it out of the manual. Who knows, maybe Polaris did it from the factory this year. I would ask your dealer.

I waited until my break in period was over before I added my SLP pipe/can combo. You will get different stories here, but I decided to go stock for the first few rides. They were road rides anyway because the snow wasn't good.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
2016 had 2 break-in periods. First one was extra oil and extra fuel for (I believe) 6 hours, then the extra oil continued to the 18 hour mark. They use a BUNCH of oil in the first few hours. Some guys fouled spark plugs from it. They also STILL want you to add extra oil to the first tank of fuel.

I "kinda" follow these guidelines. I fall into the group of "break'em in hard and they will run hard". I do a bunch of WOT bursts (10 to 40mph) on the first ride to try and seat the rings as fast as possible. I also think a ton of extra oiling is not the best idea for getting rings to seat.
The quick drive belt does need broke in, but I have found that several short heat cycles works good for that, and just limit the top speed.

If I can get 50 miles of trail or road riding in, thats good for me. Game on after that. I also see no harm in adding a pipe or can right away. Eric

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I didn't add oil to my tank, my dealer said not too(a reputable dealer) and I put my pipe on after about 100 miles. I tried to go easy on it the first bit but it was January and the snow was great that day, so I may have beat on it a bit. oh well it runs great.

J
Dec 17, 2010
Newfoundland
When I picked my 2016 up I was told a total of 20 hours for complete break-in. First 2hrs were extra fuel and LOTS of extra oil then 18hrs of just 20% extra oil I believe. Dealer said when I came to pick the sled up that they had already put some oil the first tank for me and I only needed to gas and go and ride as a I normally would. Sled was flawless all season : )

R
Feb 29, 2016
Just MAKE SURE you have a spare set of plugs until that first oiled up tank is burned through. My '16 fouled two sets in the first three hours of running.

I think a whole qt in the tank is overkill.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
Just MAKE SURE you have a spare set of plugs until that first oiled up tank is burned through. My '16 fouled two sets in the first three hours of running.

I think a whole qt in the tank is overkill.
I have a qt. also to put in and that seems like extreme overkill considering the pump is turned way up in the begining

B

BC SnoX

Banned
Oct 15, 2016
Miami FL Sunshine and Ladies
Dont listen to red mountain, he does not know how to ride. He is basically special education type of guy but we let him post a few things here and there so he feels good about himself

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
Polaris Service Manual for the 16 AXYS RMK (PN 9925999) states:

Fuel Injectors - 2 hours - additional fuel
800 Engine Oil Enrichment - 18 hours - enriched oil supply to engine

Premix first tank and fill oil reservoir

5 gallons fuel - 16 oz VES - 40:1 ratio

Belt Break-in
30 miles - vary throttle position under 50% and limit full throttle use

Edit: Read thru the above posts a bit more carefully and thought I'd add:
"Always premix fuel in a separate fuel container and then pour mixture into fuel tank. Premixing by adding oil directly into the tank may cause an elevated concentration of oil around the fuel pump pickup assembly. If this occurs, the operator may notice a lack of engine performance as the concentrated mixture is cycled through the system."
Thought it was common knowledge but maybe not for all.

Last edited:

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
I read somewhere that the initial extra oil added to the tank for break in was to ensure oil in the event of an air bubble or oil pump issue. Just a safe guard for this potential issue.
Proly a good practice to have a close look at the oil lines prior to first start up to ensure no air....

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Polaris Service Manual for the 16 AXYS RMK (PN 9925999) states:

Fuel Injectors - 2 hours - additional fuel
800 Engine Oil Enrichment - 18 hours - enriched oil supply to engine

Premix first tank and fill oil reservoir

5 gallons fuel - 16 oz VES - 40:1 ratio

Belt Break-in
30 miles - vary throttle position under 50% and limit full throttle use

Edit: Read thru the above posts a bit more carefully and thought I'd add:
"Always premix fuel in a separate fuel container and then pour mixture into fuel tank. Premixing by adding oil directly into the tank may cause an elevated concentration of oil around the fuel pump pickup assembly. If this occurs, the operator may notice a lack of engine performance as the concentrated mixture is cycled through the system."
Thought it was common knowledge but maybe not for all.

"Always premix fuel in a separate fuel container and then pour mixture into fuel tank"

yea, I think my dealer may have screwed up that as after simply loading unloading and riding it to my garage, there is a puddle of black oil under my new 2017 sled.

Cinno

C
Nov 10, 2013
Do you have a chaincase model? I just picked up my 17 LE and noticed black oil on the floor underneath mine as well. I have no idea where its coming from as it seems to be dripping from several spots.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
"oil dripping"........... At least 20 people will mention this in the next month or 2.

99.99% of the time the oil is coming from the Y pipe to Pipe connection. The gasket/seal they use at that joint needs time to wear into the flange connection and create a seal. It may take a couple rides for this to happen. You have 2 options:
1. Dont worry about it, it will fix itself.
2. Take the exhaust system apart, clean the joints and apply high temp RTV to the joints.

Option 1 will work just fine :) Eric

Premium Features