• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

04 1m 900 pipe set up

lifegiver

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2012
yakima,wa
hey all, looking at putting some after market pipes on my 900. I am putting a rk tech head on and running 100 octain at 4000 to 6000 ft. what is your opinion should i run twins or a single. this sled is efi and I am looking for a boondocker if anybody has one.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Kelsey recommends the twins, but others have had good luck with a single. I run a Bikeman mod pipe, works great with stock heads. What compression is the head? I am sure others here can answer you questions much better than I. Just call Kelsey. Mike

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My dad and I have been happy with Black Magic single pipes, but they're out of business so kinda tough to find anymore.

B
Sep 25, 2013
Provo, Utah
i'm also interested in how much of a difference a single made?
I also just installed a rk tek High Comp. head and would like to see what else I can do to squeeze some more power out of the King. any of you guys selling a single?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
So we started with stock 800s. We then put the single pipe on. Then bored cylinders to stock 900 size.

I'd say the pipe made as much difference as the big bore did. It's definitely noticeable. Plus, most of the cans that go with the singles now are not much louder (if any) than stock, but are much smaller and lighter.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Do you guys know what that BMP pipe mod contains? I have ZR 800 engine in my sled with stock pipe. I'd like to mod the pipe - just need to know how much add or shorten (I asume shorten) the pipe?

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Very hard to tell without cutting it open, I would assume it's a different angle trailing/divergent cone that is shortened up in the pipe? The pipe is stock lg. and fits in as if nothing had been done. I would assume they cut it open and welded it in. It makes a huge difference in RPM, before 7500 and now 8000/8200. I had to go from 72 gr. to 78 to bring it back to 77600 to 7700 and over revs to 8000+ on the trails at high speed. Basically just keep accelerating! Really wonder why you would need a twin with all the headaches and loss of torque thru the power band.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
1Mike900:
Did you open the heat shealds to see the mods? I had cf7 and made bmp pipe mod for it. It was easy: add half inch into center pipe and remove half inch from tail pipe. It lowered the power range so mid range hp was increased. It worked good.

I think 900 mod needs shorten the pipe to bring power range up. This can be verified by checking the welds. If there's two welds side by side in tail pipe, the pipe has been shortened. Also center pipe has only one weld.

I needed to modify my pipe tail pipe so I removed it. I checked inside the pipe and it was empty.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Pipe has single weld in expansion chamber, they told me it would be about 1/2 lb. heavier than stock, which it was roughly. The tail pipe looks the same so I figured a new internal taper pipe was added between the tail pipe and exit taper? Pipe is coated and was much quieter than stock with the PPP muffler. I called and asked if something was wrong do to the sound, and that this was an added benefit of the mod. I have another stock pipe so I will do a few measurements, but looks to be the same lg. as fitment was unchanged. Mike

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Thanks. Sounds it really is more than just simple length change and the inner cone makes sense. If there's no other welds, the length can't be changed as it would not fit to can anymore. Damn :/ The measure differences would be really nice if you can do it.

Sending pipe from this side to world to BMP makes no sense. Seems it's time to start looking the ebay :) Or finish the turbo Project.

Premium Features