• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche Classes

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Alpine Safety Awareness Program has a full winters schedule for Avalanche classes!

Costs:
One day class now combining awareness and rescue skills. $120

These prices are for advanced sign up. Prices the day of the class will incur an additional $20 charge.

Signup for classes is available online at Brown Paper Tickets. Click here to sign up!
Schedule for the upcoming winter:

• Jan 8th - Awareness - CleEllum
  • Feb 12th - Awareness - CleEllum
  • March 12th - Awareness - CleEllum
All classes are 8am to finish.

Contact Chad Patterson at email if you have questions.
Click below to sign up at Brown Paper Tickets!

Click here to register!

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
This past weekend's class was small, but it meant that the students received some real one on one type teaching. We had many good discussions with the group that allowed them to let down their guards, put aside any preconceived notions and allow their brains soak up the vast amount of knowledge that the instructors dished out.

I really appreciate these folks coming out this weekend! With it being the beginning of what looks like a fabulous winter, the recent fresh snow and sunshine on Saturday... I caught myself looking longingly out the window... lol But this takes committment AND sacrifice!! Good job people! :)

Sunday's class was good too. All hands on and in the snow. We tried to keep them all running as much as possible so that they didn't get cold with that nice little wind that kept coming through (cheeks are still red today!). I think every person there saw HUGE improvement in their confidence and skills by the end of the day. :cheer2:

It was also a good time for some to see that a probe is not necessarily a good probe! Same with shovels and packs. There are lots of options out there and getting to the GOOD stuff sometimes can be confusing, seeing it all first hand realllllllllllly brought it home for several.

I think we have a great crew of instructors to offer you all this winter! :whoo: Dan Otter has joined the ranks and if you don't know his story, it is worth the admission price alone! Chad Patterson and Ottis Buzzard have been teaching for quite some time now and in joining forces with Michael Jackson bring killer experience and knowledge to make these classes worth twice what the admission price is. :rockon:

Next class is January 8th and I expect that now with this past group giving feedback to their riding partners this class will fill up fast! :thumb:

Here's a few quotes from attendees:

Great class taught by some knowledgeable instructors that are also snowmobilers.

Not what I expected from an avalanche class, much better. It gave me tools to make sure I make it home from a day of sledding and keep others in my group safer.

Also was a real wake up call learning some of my gear just didnt cut it once you see what it takes to rescue someone from an avalanche. Buying a real shovel and probe today!! and going to make sure my friends dont have the same sh*t. (I thought I had nice suff)

The practice was an awakening on what it takes to rescue a victim. Its not just playing with your beacon.

I am going to make sure my riding partners take this class. For the cost its money well spent. Planning on attending a second time for even more practice and experience.

YOU SHOULD ATTEND NEXT TIME ITS OFFERED. Make the time!!

Two points that hit me today....

1. we are not equipped with survival gear, consider it rescue gear. Wearing a beacon will only save you if your fellow riders are proficient in using it.... and you are only going to save your husband/wife/son/daughter/mom etc. if you are proficient - rescue is instinct - which means education AND (regular) practice.

2. When considering a maneuver, be it a high mark or whatever, think "would I do this without wearing a beacon?"

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
New Features on the NW Avalanche Center's website.

Not sure how many of you have checked this out, but the NWAC spent some time and money upgrading their site over the summer. :thumb:

On the map hover your mouse over the "region" and it will pop up a Danger Rose for quick reference. Notice I say QUICK. But still a cool feature. :attention:

If you aren't familiar with the rose. Think of it as a cone. The outer section is 3000' elevation and the center is 7000' elevation. I've attached a snapshot of today's roses.

attachment.php

You can see from a glimpse that today is high avalanche danger above 5000 feet on north to east aspects and considerable elsewhere for the Snoqualmie pass region. Look at the arrows below the rose as well, this shows if the avalanche danger is predicted to be going up, staying the same or going down.

If you click on the map for that region, you get the rose, the description above and more forcast information for today, tomorrow and outlook for the next.

I've started reading this daily, like a newspaper, instead of just on the day I'm riding so I can get a broader picture of what is going on out there. :smow:

NWAC site

IMAG0317.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R
take the class

Two weeks ago I realized just having a beacon/probe/shovel was not enough. We (my riding group 1-10 yrs exp) took the 1 day class near easton, wa and quickly found out how much we did not know. First attempt at a simulated recovery (amateur style, if you have not had a class thats YOU) and half my friends were dead. After the day of training/riding i now feel i have a chance of getting my bud out if when the need comes (note bud, only put 1 in harms way at a time, its a survival thing talk to Chad about that). Kudos to Chad, Ott ,Jeff and John for the time they put into the class, their experience is invaluable. I look foreward to volunteering (if they will have me) in the future to get the mrs and other riding buds out to the class so we can all have better recovery partners. We all had a great time at the class and now realize how little we know, and how easy it is to train and prepare for as long as your riding group accepts the challenge. New shovel and probe on order! Thanks also to CG for trying to spread the word
progress.gif

smitty5.9

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Foothills of west side
March Avy Training

Is the March 12 class full?
If not, now more than any time this season people should be signing up for this training. We rode this weekend and saw some slides and many areas waiting to slide. Hopefully the class will be filled with people who want to learn what to do if it ever happens to them.

M

MVR

Feb 17, 2008
Twisp, WA
Is the March 12 class full?
If not, now more than any time this season people should be signing up for this training. We rode this weekend and saw some slides and many areas waiting to slide. Hopefully the class will be filled with people who want to learn what to do if it ever happens to them.

smitty5.9- It's the usual story, only 3 signed up right now. The guys will pull it off but not without some sacrifice on the instructors part (three sign ups won't pay for class costs). Supporters are making the usual last minute efforts to get it filled up...

smitty5.9

Premium Member
Mar 14, 2009
Foothills of west side
AVY Training this weekend

Ott,
I put out an APB amongst my extended riding acquaintances. I offered my gear and use of sleds to those who need it in hopes that they understand the need and magnitude of this training. I hope to produce some results for this weekend's class.
This is better for them anyway because I've found myself upgrading my gear after taking your class - better to do it right the first time for those who need equipment.
Here's hoping for a full class!

R
Thank you ASAP team

Ott, Chad, Dan, John many thanks for the effort you and others put in to this training. I took a turn as a volunteer saturday and saw the transformation from amateur (what do i do now) to teams of riders that understand what to do, how to do it and perform avalanche rescue safely and urgently. Your efforts help make this sport safer for us (us are those of us willing to learn from others). Looking FWD to the level 1 course next year. again thank you all

Premium Features