• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New style mesh hood for the M sleds???

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
How many people would like a new mesh hood option for the M sleds??

I have been thinking about making one, have the design pretty much figured out, but don't want to do tons of work for a model that is about to be out of productions. Did this with my 1M high bread hoods that we designed using a Fire Cat hood as the main part of the hood.

If I build it, it would fit very clean and tight to the belly pans and console areas, be a ALU or Moly tube frame, with a combinations of panels and mesh over the frame. It would have protection from melting were needed and look more like the stock hood, than any of the other mesh hoods do.

Opinion? Would it need to hinge, or would a strap only set up be fine? The hinge area would be one of the most expensive part to make, for the way I want it to look.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
shipping

Shipping hoods is very costly.

How many people would like a new mesh hood option for the M sleds??

I have been thinking about making one, have the design pretty much figured out, but don't want to do tons of work for a model that is about to be out of productions. Did this with my 1M high bread hoods that we designed using a Fire Cat hood as the main part of the hood.

If I build it, it would fit very clean and tight to the belly pans and console areas, be a ALU or Moly tube frame, with a combinations of panels and mesh over the frame. It would have protection from melting were needed and look more like the stock hood, than any of the other mesh hoods do.

Opinion? Would it need to hinge, or would a strap only set up be fine? The hinge area would be one of the most expensive part to make, for the way I want it to look.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Hinges are necessary, IMO. Call me lazy, but I prefer to just flip it open when I'm refilling oil, etc...

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
No hinges

Much simpler design, much cheaper. Easier to access things without it as well. 4 straps should do the trick. Perhaps a 5th in the front nose cone.

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I don't know that I can make it cheaper, but you will defiantly get a better fit and finish. It will look different than anything you have seen for a hood.

I am thinking a fixed center section with lambo wing style openings on both sides. You'll have the option of screened panels, Carbon fiber panels, ABS panels, or a combination. It will look kinda like a stealth fighter, no parallel lines. Plan to try and separate the engine area from the air box area as an option.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have the diamond mesh...i would toss it in an instant for a good fitting mesh..i like the idea of hinged because i feel the hinged hood will seal better...but if a straped or pinned hood works im game...i pinned my mesh with masterlock 5/32 hinged pins...on shipping it is very important to be able to send the hoods via buslines...but the buslines do not go cross border from what im told...my hood to the Yukon was 429 for frieght from the U.S..450 for the hood..so 879.00...the guy at diamond s didn;t tell me he had a dealer in B.C..that had hoods trucked to him in bulk..so if your hoods are going to be selling in Canada..you will need to set up a dealer that you can truck a half a dozen or so at one time and then he can bus them after...imo...

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
We're thinking of a 4 piece hood design. There would be a nose piece (just in-case you hit a tree or something) and this would incorporate the air intake system, a center section with gauge and light mounting area, and 2 side areas that would hinge towards the center for access.

This is going to take quite a bit of work to set up. I would really like to know if there is enough people interested to make it worth it. It will have a very tight fit and finish with weather stripping to seal any critical areas. I not going to mess around, we're going to do it right or not do it at all.

R
Nov 28, 2009
i got some family that would love to have them if they look good and fit snug. any way you could post some pics of the design, or pm me some?

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Haven't started yet, just discussing a plan and design. Need to determine the interest. I made the 1M / Firecat high bread hoods near the end of the chassis production and didn't sell nearly as many as I would of liked. I spent $1000's to get that hood the way we wanted and it is the best fitting 1M hood you can buy. And regardless of how many you sell, you always get the stratification of making something really cool and different.

CZRF#1.jpg CZRF#2.jpg CZRF#3.jpg CZRF#4.jpg R&B AC 800 MOD #4.jpg

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i would be interested..i don;t need any air intake or headlight or guage pod..but a little windsheild would be nice

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
remember a little more clearance on the left side for those aftermarket pipes that run close to the stock hoods and dangerously close to the diamond s hoods

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
I like your four panel idea. You could just have the nose and center "fixed" and flap the other two for quick access?

I do like the intake setup on the D/S hoods.

Count me in....

Wait until you see the new air intake we are finishing up right now and getting ready to test. Super clean and very light weight. You'll wounder why no body else has done this yet.

Premium Features