• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bent Rails

B
Apr 8, 2010
Las Vegas
So I had a small problem during our ride last weekend.
I hit a jump and in concern for a hard landing I kept the front end too high.
Bent rails was the end result. I have ordered a set of Ice Age rails but I had some other questions.
When my Dad talked to the dealer where we dropped it off he said that you need to replace the axle and I believe he said the rear wheels for some reason.
I don't believe they were bent or anything, but he made it sound like if you don't that we will have a hard time getting the wheels to stay on.
Does this sound right? What is the reasoning behind this?
Thanks for the help.

IMG_0158.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0155.jpg IMG_0151.jpg

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
I bent my rails the same place going over a water bar and landing in the rear wheels. I didn't replace anything but rails. Put Ice Age on. Didn't have any problems.
The Ice Age rail is heavier. I had to take a disk grinder and widen the grove in the boogie wheel base to fit rail. ( base straddles rail rib)

If I had stock Arctic Cat rails I would put an extra bar between rails up where yours bent.
I think a guy could fit the bar between the inside boogies. Would have to cut it shorter, run more threads, screw it onto one boogie bolt then run opposite bolt into other boogie and tube. That would beef it up.

Joe

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Take the suspension out and disassemble the rails. Once you have the axle and crossbars out roll them across your table. If they don't wobble you are good to go. As far as the wheels go, give them a spin and make sure the bearings feel relatively smooth, also be sure the bearings are centered in the plastic wheel hub, I had a couple get a little cocked in there in the past.
Don't change it unless you find something bent or out of place, wasted gas money;)

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Thats exactly what I was thinking when lookin at the bend/weak spot there. An additional cross shaft to connect the rails would have definitely helped out.
And...not trying to save .5 lbs by cutting a bunch of holes in the rails...

If I had stock Arctic Cat rails I would put an extra bar between rails up where yours bent.
I think a guy could fit the bar between the inside boogies. Would have to cut it shorter, run more threads, screw it onto one boogie bolt then run opposite bolt into other boogie and tube. That would beef it up.

H
Oct 7, 2008
Ferndale,Wa.
If you are interested I have a kit from AC that is used to beef up the new style rails. It does add weight but it looks like it should do the job, it adds material to rails not just across them. You could prob find it on a AC parts site to see what it includes, I am out of town for a week so can't take pictures. PM me if you are interested.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

That probably wouldn't have happened if those two inner idler wheels were removed, just saying. Sorry for your luck. I'v seen three sleds bend the rails just like that. I took mine out at 200 miles. Tim

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Yeah either your dealer saw something wrong(to which he should have pointed out) or he's looking for some beer money for the guys at the shop. That's a pretty large pile of crap he's trying to feed you.(Like said, unless he saw something wrong apon first inspection)

S

spence222

Dec 11, 2010
N. Michigan
That probably wouldn't have happened if those two inner idler wheels were removed, just saying. Sorry for your luck. I'v seen three sleds bend the rails just like that. I took mine out at 200 miles. Tim

Can you safely eliminate those inner idler wheels without any issues????

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
Can you safely eliminate those inner idler wheels without any issues????

Yes you can . Before i rode my 09 i took the rear and front idlers out and installed scratchers. You just need to keep off the trail , and if you are forced onto roads put the scratchers down.

Worst case you have to replace hyfax more often . I was suprised how much 4 wheels and all the brackets and blots weighed.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hello,

iceage manufacturing is a great company and there rails are tough!

get the rail supports that go exactly where you bent those. i have bent 3 sets of M rails right there, and watched another set bend this weekend. (we bend all brand of rails lol)

but be carefull where you add your crossbars, that shock arm goes down and almost touches the track.

take the air out of your shock with your new rails and make sure all your bump stops are bottoming out. with it bottomed out slide a crossbar as close as you can to the shock arm. then bring it back a little and drill it out on each side and mount another crossbar. that with the standard rail support and you should be golden... i went overboard and added another crossbar.

it is vital that all your bumps actaully bottom out on your chassis.

add the zero pro bogies (small bogies that go on your zero pro crossbar) and get rid of the non cross bar bogies.

an anti stab kit for assurance and never look back bro!!! if you have any questions ill gladly help you out in anyway i can :)

when you get your new rails they will not have the bushings in the rails where the track arm mounts to the rail, make sure you pound that out of your stock rail and put it in the new/aftermarket rail.
-Aksnopro

Last edited:
A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

I took those inner idlers out at 200 miles, and no problems for 1200 miles. I just put slidekicks on, but the majority of my riding is in the mountains. Plus it saves at least a pound, haha.

Premium Features