• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

breaking new sled in, in the mnts

J

jasonsamko

Dec 18, 2008
Michigan
Just got my first m8 2011 153. As a michigan rider i usually break a sled in on the trails for 50 miles or so. Basically the first tank of gas.
My first chance to ride will be in the snowies next week. Im curious if you guys actually break them in by riding trails or take them right to the deep and ride them like you want to.

I think i have clutching figured out, ordered iceage rails, bdx shock idler wheeles, scratchers, the steering post base plate by ak on here, a tether and some other little stuff so i think im good to go.

Excited about the sled, and excited about being bach in the hills, just want to make sure i break it in right out there.

4nite

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 14, 2009
Wyoming
Throw a quart of oil in the fuel, break in your belt. just ride and have fun! Play with your throttle, do not hold it wide open for too long. Good snow in the snowies!

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I like to heat cycle the engine several times before I ride it. Start it up & let it idle until the temp light comes on, shut it down & let it cool completly. Do this about 4 or 5 times. Then ride as mentioned above.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I like to heat cycle the engine several times before I ride it. Start it up & let it idle until the temp light comes on, shut it down & let it cool completly. Do this about 4 or 5 times. Then ride as mentioned above.

Yeah... but who's gonna take break-in advice from a guy named "burn down"???:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton

:D

Last year there was a cat protocol for shop break in... what happened to that? Did that protocol get rescinded?

If I recall it was run on track stand till eng temp light comes on, then shut off, once cool, run till light blinks, then kill... any reason not to do what they were recommending last year? (or let me know if that's off from what it was)

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008

I would like to hear the scientific reasoning behind this type of breakin. Not saying it is wrong, as I don't know, but it is the opposite of what some engine experts say is the proper way to seat the rings. So in theory if you break the engine in this way on the stand, the rings will not seat properly as you should run the sled normally/hard for the first 20 minutes under load to seat the rings.

My guess is that Cat was more insterested in a porperly heat cycling some engine components to keep them from failing and were less concerned about properly seating the rings.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yeah... but who's gonna take break-in advice from a guy named "burn down"???:face-icon-small-sho:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton

Last year there was a cat protocol for shop break in... what happened to that? Did that protocol get rescinded?

If I recall it was run on track stand till eng temp light comes on, then shut off, once cool, run till light blinks, then kill... any reason not to do what they were recommending last year? (or let me know if that's off from what it was)

Touche' :face-icon-small-hap
Maybe I got more practice breakin them in... Besides holes in pistons doesn't have anything to do with rings seating.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho

I would like to hear the scientific reasoning behind this type of breakin. Not saying it is wrong, as I don't know, but it is the opposite of what some engine experts say is the proper way to seat the rings. So in theory if you break the engine in this way on the stand, the rings will not seat properly as you should run the sled normally/hard for the first 20 minutes under load to seat the rings.

My guess is that Cat was more insterested in a porperly heat cycling some engine components to keep them from failing and were less concerned about properly seating the rings.

Cat recomended this and some fairly clever fellows I know have been doing this for a long time, with good results. Take it for what it's worth free internet advice...

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Seating the rings = gettin after it. However if I was the manufacturer that was warrenting your sled i would tell you to never ride past 1/2 throttle.:face-icon-small-hap

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I broke mine in towing a XP off the mountain, only had 20 miles on it, she is a runner now:face-icon-small-hap

Jan 16, 2011
here ya go

break-in.jpg

break-in.jpg

A
Jan 16, 2008
That break-in procedure is not in the 2011 manual.
I broke my sled in by taking out the left a arms and bulkhead when I hit a rock. That's not in the manual either.

Premium Features